Difficult guests

I hate to bring it up but if a guest needs to vomit and can’t get out of bed in time a wastebasket by the bed could be quite handy.

3 Likes

Yup. That’s why our wastebaskets are 100% washable!

2 Likes

Oh wow. I don’t have this. It never occurred to me as I don’t like the idea of a trash can in the bedroom. Seems gross. And I’ve been told so many times that I’ve “thought of everything”, I was starting to believe it :wink: Anyways, good points

have been made and I’m going to see if I can put a little tiny one in at least. Thanks!

1 Like

It was a family of four, two adults and two kids, for one week. Maybe one of the kids had a cold?

And they replaced them with the fancy Puffs with lotion tissues, nicer than the ones I provide!

1 Like

LOL. Great thing about this forum is we get to see how the other half lives. I grew up in a home with tissues and trash can by the bed. So many colds and respiratory ailments I can’t imagine not having them.

In my airbnb room (it’s just one tiny little room but) there are three trash bins. One in the bathroom with a cover, one by the desk and one on one side of the bed. I’d have one on the other side next to the fridge/coffee station but there isn’t room.

1 Like

Read through this thread and you will see the reason we need tissues and trash cans next to the beds…

RR

2 Likes

The tissues are there! Both sides of the beds and also on the back of the toilet. And back-ups in the pantry.
I have yet to find a stray used tissue. I guess I’ve been lucky to have guests who take them to the trashcans in the kitchen or bathroom.

Dirty tissues don’t scare me anyways, nor do boogers on the wall. I’ve had more than one booger flicked at me, even purposely deposited onto my arm…but I digress and it’s really too soon to bring up the trials and tribulations of working with old men again :wink:

However, to think that even one guest might prefer a little wastebasket in the bedroom. That’s enough for me. I’m shopping online right now!

1 Like

And in the process, she abused your house rules by adding more guests and pets without notifying you’ used your laundry room and guest room, neither of which are available for guest use; and generally bitched and moaned about everything, expecting you to finance her Thanksgiving meal (sugar? flour? kitchen aid? ) I’m not sure how they got there and if they drove, you can pack a lot in a car.

I’d start with - "Tried to please picky guest who broke house rules by entering rooms not for their use, having extra guests and pets, and expected more than the amenties listed. OUr new hot water heater broke and we replaced it right away, saving the family inconvenience except for late night hot water.
3* communication
2* house rules

IDK. I would have nipped the 2x per day info in the bud starting day 2. “The house has xyz. Since it’s a full-home stay and there is a store 1/4 mile down the road, we outfit for long term guests for their first couple of days of basics and you’re responsible for the rest of your supplies.”

TP is a big issue on this forum. I keep a Costco sized package of it in the guest linen closet and replace it when it’s down to the last 6 rolls. I show guests where it is and leave 2 additional rolls in the cupboard slots over the toilet. So far, so good. Some use a lot, some use a little. And I am an in-home host with only 1 room rented.

2 Likes

If it’s any consolation. TP is significantly less expensive than facial tissues.

4 Likes

You think paper towels is bad? I’ve read about guests using the bath towels. You don’t want guests to run out of toilet paper.

1 Like

I have only had a few missing towels in 2 years, and I am grateful that the guests spared me whatever it was that was so horrible they did not want me to see it!
I have only had one guest ever ask for more TP, since then I leave 50% more than I used to.

RR

Thanx, I saw all of that after I continued reading. :wink:

I was just thinking that new readers here might be wondering why on earth we are having such a lively and busy conversation about loo paper.

It is a strange thing to talk about when you consider it but at least it shows how we Airbnb hosts are concerned about our guests’ comfort - even down to the tiniest details. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I provide a ton of TP, and if they run out of it all they have to do is text me and I’ll tell them where I keep extra.
I provide tissues. Blowing your nose with TP can irritate your nose.
I provide toiletries, hair drier, extra cords, usb phone chargers everything you need to cook meals (not desserts) in the kitchen, but nothing else outside sugar, tea and coffee. If they want to cook they better go buy the ingredients.
And of course I don’t provide any mixer or Kitchenaid.
All these are disclosed in the amenities. if they want to bake cookies they should ask me. But honestly, who would go on vacation to bake cookies? Grandma perhaps.
I also have “no parties” in my listing so in general I have families who go visit someone for special occasions or holidays, not stay at my house and cook.
As for the ants, but those ant stations and place them in corners in your house and the ants will die. I get them in my own house in the spring and this is what I do.
There’s a learning curve for everything. Don’t fret too much about it.

1 Like

And you will find that candles will slowly make your ceiling above dingy and gray. When I worked for a large rental firm with 800 units of housing we never allowed candles or incense in our rentals. I still don’t. No candles, incense, smoking, or vaping.

2 Likes

If you use low-quality candles.

I’m a candle snob and don’t have discolored ceilings.

The worst part of renting were these dumb restrictions on what I could do in my home. Burning incense isn’t any more hazardous or annoying than frying fish every week (which also leaves residue).

4 Likes

Both are annoying in my book. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I really don’t like any kind of smoke inside my home and have become less tolerant of all kinds of smoke as I’ve aged. Even outside I replaced my wood burning fire pit with a propane table. Luckily I can do a lot of cooking outdoors. And my fireplace chimney vents the fires well but I may be replacing with gas logs at some point in the future. It’s weird because I was around all kinds of smoke my entire life.

1 Like

Seriously? No incense?
I would be happy to challenge you in court on religious practice restrictions for the incense, I’m surprised that no one has.

1 Like

We don’t allow anything that involves a flame. No candles, no incense. Nothing with a scent. I get blinding headaches.