Did I Handle This Right?

Good morning hosts!

I got a request from someone this morning basically asking if the “apartment” was available for longer rental as she can’t find a single rental in our town (this is very common, they are in very high demand). She said she wants to be closer to her daughter for her final 3 years of high school.

I replied and told her that the “guest house” is not available for long term rent per our zoning license and that we are a vacation rental only. I said that we are considering doing 30 day booking in the winter, but the rate will be 4000 per month. In referred her to a motel near us that has extended stay.

I believe I read somewhere that these type of requests usually end up with squatters who you cant get out and then end up having to evict them through the courts. Now that would be an absolute nightmare, although if someone did it to us I would turn off all their heat, water, and power remotely and they wouldn’t have a choice but to leave.

1 Like

You did the exact correct thing. She needs a regular rental with a lease, two months rent in advance and security deposit. Airbnb would not protect you in this case. There are many posts about squatter nightmares. Long term rentals also pay for a credit check and background check. All landlords do this.

1 Like

Excellent. This was the first time we received a request like this. We would much prefer a maximum stay or 1 - 2 weeks at the most. I would rather have it vacant in the winter than to allow a month long stay.

1 Like

Usually these requests are from people who would not qualify to rent anywhere else. I agree my ideal stays are 5 days or less. Even one night works for me as the cleaning is usually minimal due to the short stay.

3 Likes

So it sounds like you all have received these requests also? Does it happen often?

Happens all the time with me. Always say no or put the nightly rate *number of nights they want, they all dissapear after I say the price.

And you couldn’t turn off the utilities, I don’t know where you are but in most places once you have a tenant legally you can’t turn off water, electricity etc, you would be sued and most likely the eviction process would take even longer and you would have to lay damages to the tenant. Crazy right?

There are many threads here about this topic

2 Likes

Vera,

I know you aren’t supposed to turn off utilities, however, once the stay they paid for is over, they aren’t entitled to utilities. I would risk a lawsuit to protect my interests, but it helps being married to an attorney. haha.

1 Like

@LegendsCreek

It would get to my nerves and I would be inclined to turn everything off too, but I see everywhere that we can’t do that for long term, only short stays due to the acquired tenant rights. Well, my professiobal field has nothing to do with law so I probably am just repeating what I read.

Being married to an attorney should put you in peace of mind much more than I have with the possibility of a squatter :worried:

I posted a lot on the other squatter thread, but I should also add that in my market, the Catskill Mountains, it is very common to rent a house for the SEASON - either June, July & August or just July & August. A lot of my inquires have come from young families who want a summer home for the season, or folks who have retired to Florida, but still have family in the area.

But a single parent with a child is a red flag.

You have to ask LOTS of questions and it is certainly your right ALWAYS to have a separate contact above and beyond Airbnb’s.

1 Like

I’ve had it happen a couple of times. I just say that my suite isn’t designed for long term stays (I don’t have a full kitchen). My maximum number of nights is 4 based on what I’ve read here (as in “guests are like fish”…and the “getting too familiar” syndrome). I personally haven’t had anyone stay more than 3 nights but I was SO ready for them to go by then. I live upstairs.

1 Like

What does it mean? They stink?

After four days they begin to stink. Of course, that depends. :wink:

2 Likes

I do not believe that squatting is such an often occurrence for long term rent. Does this lady want for 3 years or just for couple months? We are seasonal here also and I don’t think guests could afford my by night rates during 4 months during winter. But the rest of the year I am aiming for long term rental such as month or 2.
I started hosting 16 months ago and until May of this year did short with minimum 1 day stays. Then summer came and comparing to last summer there many more listings in my area. Prices dropped. If I did not do monthly stays I would just stay empty and I can not afford it.
I just did my 2 long terms and it was a very good experience. One is almost at the end of their 1 month stay and another it’s been 5 days
These are working people who I actually never see.
There are so many different situations and I don’t think it’s wise just to refuse everyone who needs couple months of rent.
I also rented out a separate house to a well know building company for 4 months. I can’t believe for a second that they will take advantage of me and squatt.
Of course there are punks outthere and we hear stories and it is a nightmare to even imagine it, but majority of people would not do such a thing.
I also had several negotiators who offer me half of my price because it’s long term which I decline

I have a 8 night-er starting from Sunday. She already messaged me asking to change the sheets etc. I replied saying that she shouldn’t worry as that is the standard.
P.s: my reviews praise me cleaningness.

I wonder how the week will be like

1 Like

Good luck, sounds like another clueless guest

3 Likes

Oh no! Haha. I would be sick to my stomach if a guest started getting demanding before they even showed up.

We have guests now that arrived 2 days ago and are some of the nicest people I have met. I hope all guests are nice like them!

2 Likes

Good article based on the quote:

“The Trouble With Houseguests. Benjamin Franklin famously said that guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days. Many of us are inclined to agree. I myself recently struggled to share my space and resources with a houseguest.”

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve been saying. If they don’t have the money to pay rent they probably don’t have the money or knowledge to take me to court. @konacoconutz always refers to the Palm Springs squatter but he appeared to be a professional squatter with a well defined agenda. But to stay on topic I would consider such a thing for a slow season if I had them sign a lease. As Vera said, only an idiot of epic proportions would try squatting on an attorney’s property.

There are tenants advocacy attorneys who take these cases for free, landlords are known to have deep pockets. Tenants are afforded an incredible amount of protection in many states.

1 Like

Many, many states do have laws that give more protection to tenants than they do to the owners but I wouldn’t hesitate to shut off the utilities regardless of repercussion. We work very hard for our home and we live here. The thought of having to play nice with people that would basically be stealing from me is incomprehensible.

1 Like