Developing a new STR marketplace website

Hello Everyone,

I’m looking into developing a new C2C rental marketplace. I’d like to gather thoughts / suggestions from hosts to develop this platform that would put more money into hosts’ and guests’ pockets.

The idea is to develop a marketplace that is similar to Airbnb/Booking, but the guest would book directly from the host. The platform would offer all the basic features: map with discovery filters, booking page, calendar management, etc. The platform would not offer any support directly to guests. This responsibility would fall upon the host.

Another feature would be to allow existing direct-booking website to be listed on the discovery page. Since the platform would not gain any money from booking, hosts of the website are free to offer guests any method of payment/booking they’d like.

To summarize:

• Site would effectively be a direct booking marketplace, with tools to setup a basic page for those without a direct booking site.
  • hosts pay a small monthly fee to list their unit on the marketplace
  • guest payments can happen on or off site, with 0 commission. Payments on-site would be through Stripe. Payments would go directly from guest to host and host gets 100% of funds minus stripe transaction fees.

I’m curious to know what you guys think about this idea. I’m happy to answer any questions.

• would you use a platform like this?
  • would you pay $10-$20 / month to list your STR on this platform?
  • are there any advanced features you would expect before using a platform like this?

There is also a mailing list signup page if you’d like to be updated on development progress:
https://chato-signup.pages.dev/

Thanks

I guess you didn’t do much research before coming up with what you seem to think is a novel idea. Sites like this already exist and don’t generate many bookings.

2 Likes

The sponsors of this forum also have a direct marketing/booking site; they seem to be a bit further along than you are.

1 Like

Well yes… I thought of the idea and now I’m in the research phase.

Do you have any insight as to why these sites don’t generate bookings?

Do you have any information about this platform? Is this only a direct booking site? Or also a marketplace?

What is Stripe.
Does it work with non-American banks, or are you thinking of just linking American guests to American hosts?

Stripe is a payment processor. So they would be responsible for processing method of payment, refunds, tax, etc, and distributing to guests bank account. Stripe should handle international cards as well. I believe stripe fees are roughly 3-4 percent for credit card.

How would hosts outside the United States receive payment. Currently hosts just get Airbnb payments deposited into their (non-American) existing bank accounts. No set-up, no sign-up

Looks like using Stripe would cost me $4.44 on a $40/night room rental, whereas through Airbnb the service fee is $1.20.

Normally the research phase of an idea would start with researching whether you’ve come up with an idea that has already been done before asking potential users if they would use such a service.

If I had the idea to open a bicycle rental business, don’t you think it would make more sense to find out if there are already 10 bicycle rental businesses in my town or none, and how successful they are, before asking potential customers if they would be interested in a bicycle rental shop?

Research using my or others’ information is at minimum $80 / hr. You can contact us directly and pay as well.

Or… did you think your research would be done for you for free…?

4 Likes

How would hosts outside the United States receive payment. Currently hosts just get Airbnb payments deposited into their (non-American) existing bank accounts. No set-up, no sign-up

This would be possible with Stripe integration, it supports cross-border payouts. Just to clarify, stripe is mostly a backend integration and would not require any separate account or setup.

Looks like using Stripe would cost me $4.44 on a $40/night room rental, whereas through Airbnb the service fee is $1.20.

while technically true, airnbnb also has significant guest fees (~14-15%). If you were to use a no commission platform and charge the same rate, the guest would pay less. You could also raise your rate by 15%, the guest pays the same as they would on airbnb, and you pocket the difference.

Also, not sure how you got that stripe fee. $4.44 does not seem correct.