Desert beauty (non Airbnb)

I love spring in the desert! I lived in Arizona, Colorado, and Utah for many years.

2 Likes

so beautiful there! I want to visit when this craziness is over.

Anyone from this forum is welcome to stay with me for a free night or longer stay discounted if the room is available. It doesn’t always look like this here but I’m on the way to or from many beautiful places.

3 Likes

That’s lovely of you . @KKC

1 Like

Likewise, should anyone wish to traipse to Florida. @KKC I love El Paso and TX. I need a road trip!!

3 Likes

A native to the Texas Hill Country, the caption tells the interesting stuff about the rare hedgehog cactus.

2 Likes

Nice view of landscape, beautiful mountains colors!!

Here are the poppies at sunset. I didn’t take this picture but I follow this photographer on facebook.

3 Likes

Although I’m 4000 miles away, I am quite likely to take you up on your offer! Gorgeous photos. Makes me miss the Franklins. I have a barrel cactus in my windowsill, but it keeps trying to ‘point’ south’ and tip over. Looks like it might be getting a bloom, or a baby? (not familiar with this kind)

1 Like

Poppies? Do they grow there? Is someone farming them? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Please do!

Yes, every March they cover the east side of the Franklins, basically flanking Trans Mountain Rd. This is the best year in 20 years and they are now creeping up the sides of the mountain, I’ve never seen them so high up.

They are wild, and no one knows for sure how they got there. Apparently they have been there a long time but just getting more and more spread over the years. It seems the stories go back in newpapers to the 1930s about them. They seemingly had a natural start but had some efforts to propagate them over the years. Like you, 30 years ago I was unaware of their existence even though I grew up in Northeast area and lived there from 1964 to 1971 and drove over Trans Mt many times over the years.

Once we return to normal a March visit to see them would probably be a welcome respite from Ireland. :wink:

3 Likes

it looks like a pincushion cactus.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. It does look more like a pincushion. Do they ‘point’ north?
:cactus:

Looks like it’s reaching for light.

You need to rotate it every morning.

1 Like

Not much of that around here!

1 Like