Depressing New York City Hosts Meeting

@Maggieroni, the Hotel Industry is getting exactly what they want; to shut down any and all competition. Talk about a monopoly…

I did extensive work on the “study” showing what an “enormous” impact Airbnb has on NYC affordable housing (see my post in this thread from May 15th). It shows that if this “study” is correct, the “enormous” impact AIrbnb has on NYC rents is as much as $105 increase on a nearly $2,300 one-bedroom rental. Is that affordable housing? Someone can afford almost $2,300, but not $2,400, and let’s blame Airbnb for it? Absurd!

I believe that NYC needs more affordable housing. I believe that hosts with multiple apartments should be delisted. I believe that renters or owners using Airbnb against their landlords or condos/co-op board wishes should be delisted. But even with ALL of these infractions, an absolute minimal amount of affordable housing would be made available if these apartments came available on the market.

@Maggieroni, I too live in a one-family home (where we live 24/7), and make a small part of it available in Airbnb. Will this small unit become part of the “affordable housing” should Airbnb lose their lawsuit? No, it once again becomes a place for friends and family to stay, for free, in NYC. And I will not be alone in my actions. Did this “study” even consider this? Of course not.

1 Like

I agree with this also. This would be good legislation. NYC is so progressive in some ways and so backward in others. Manhattan (where I lived most of my life) has been sold out to international development with buyers who simply launder money through the purchase of multi (and I mean 25 - 35 million) million dollar apartments that are ruining the skyline. Sigh! Native here. So sad.

Gosh, you are in a pickle. I would first call Air and ask them to cancel your upcoming reservations penalty free due to the regulation legislation. Then I would close that account. I would then go to your landlord and show them proof of your closed account, promise to never do it again, and beg to be allowed to stay. That is, if you have already received an eviction notice. It’s a little confusing from your post whether you have or not, or whether your management knows or not. If you haven’t, I wouldn’t worry about going to court or getting an attorney, yet. I would prioritize your pickle so that the important things are done first. Get rid of the Airbnb account, or at least snooze it. It’s considered prima fascia evidence.

2 Likes

@Maggieroni, yes, I watched the proceedings live yesterday afternoon.

As I mentioned, don’t expect Airbnb to comply with this law immediately. Expect lawsuits, delays, etc. It still has to be signed by the Mayor before it becomes law.

We’ll see how it plays out…

1 Like

The UK rent a room scheme is alive and well. There’s another recent post on it.