Depressing New York City Hosts Meeting

lower manhattan, its not a rent stabilazed building, the dept of buildings sent over a marshall and the guest had given all info about their booking. the marshall got them to open the door because they said they are the police and that they need to check for sprinklers. once they got inside, they then asked them who they were, if they live here, and how much was their reservation and asked to show the reservation from airbnb on theiir phone. the guest was scared and answered all questions and gave all the info. i wasnt home at the time, i was at work. but i rent out the other bedroom
now mangment wants me out and i dont want to get fined. i thought i would at least get a warning but since the buildng dept came , the buildng might get fined again its all just crazy and i need help to understand how to fight it in court

So checking I have this straight,
You are in New York?
You rent your apartment.
You were renting it out on Airbnb - as an entire place or a bedroom?
You did not have your landlords permission and I would say your lease has a no subletting clause.

hello deb, i need a tenant lawyer in nyc. if anyone can recommend one, please let me know

I’m sorry @marycloud but this is happening all over nyc and today the city is passing a bill that will require Airbnb to turn over all the names and addresses of all hosts to them. Everyone is at risk.
I do believe that your bigger problem is with your landlord as they can evict you if you are in violation of your lease. The legal way to do Airbnb has become extremely cloudy in New York City. Technically you would be legal (maybe) as you are a host who lives there. But does that mean you have to be there every moment the guests are present? I don’t know.
Since this is such a current issue you might try to contact the office of Chris Lehane of Airbnb who is on top of this. Just google nyc and his name.
I’d try reasoning with your landlord and see if you cease Airbnb immediately they won’t evict you.
It’s all very depressing. We own a single family home in nyc and rent only one room to a max of 2 guests and are “legal” but who knows.

i guess the help i need are, should i come clean to the managment ? would that help me from avoiding a day in court?
also, would going to court and trying to fight it, would then the managment be able to get my info from airbnb? are they allowed to get it?

so they are passing it today??

Read this and try to separate the issues. Deal with you landlord, be nice and contrite and apologize and see if they’ll let you stay.
The city is a whole other issue: read this!

Yes. But they already know where and who you are.

im sorry i didnt understand what you meant here

Back in the day as they say, a lot of us had roommates to help with the always high nyc rents. We would advertise in the local grocery store or newspaper for flight attendants as they are traveling all the time. A month’s rent but never there all month. If you need help with the rent and you are able to stay in your apt try a roomie.

will airbnb turn over our information automatically or would airbnb first ask us to choose to give or not and close the account

Whom and what are you referring to?

" Yes. But they already know where and who you are."

Did you read the article I posted? They already know who you are so it doesn’t matter but as of today ALL host’s info will be shared with NYC enforcement. If I were you I’d close my Airbnb account, call them and tell them why you are doing it so they can handle any reservations you may have coming up.

@marycloud
Did you not say that city of New York dept of buildings has been to your apartment? So they already know you are an Airbnb host and where you are hosting. Forget about the City.
Did you or did you not violate your lease terms?

oh ok, yes they know who i am , but my question was, would they be able to access my info on airbnb?

What difference does it make? Under your circumstances I’d delete my account ASAP

do you mean, will they know exactly how much hosting you’ve done?

I have been in touch with several liasons from Airbnb in NYC. From what they have told me, Airbnb will use all legal means (lawsuits, etc.) to prevent NYC from enforcing the new legislation should it pass. I was also told that Airbnb will do one of two things prior to releasing host information:

1. Delist EVERY listing in NYC, and require that every listing that relists acknowledge that Airbnb must provide the host information to NYC

2. Give hosts the opportunity to delist themselves before a certain date, after which Airbnb must provide host information to NYC for all those who have not delisted.

While I can’t say with certainty that this is how Airbnb will handle it, that is the information I have been provided by their representatives.

1 Like

@bigappledude
You know what would be nice but will never happen? The city could outline the exact parameters for a legal str in nyc!
The host is present, does that mean if I take out my garbage and enforcement comes to the door and I have guests I am now in violation as I’m not inside?
We have a single family home in nyc and rent one room but I don’t know if I’d stay on the platform and take a risk of a hefty fine for some obscure reason.
Do you think the city just wants an outright ban? I’m pretty sure Airbnb has brought a lot of revenue to nyc. There’s a real missed opportunity here.

1 Like