Depressing New York City Hosts Meeting

I support home sharing as long as the host lives on site.

3 Likes

I 100% agree with you, as long as “on-site” includes an attached two-family, where the host lives in one unit, and allows Guests in the other.

2 Likes

I think the problem is that NYC doesn’t care if it’s an attached 2 family or even a standalone house, if there’s a complaint and you haven’t installed an automated sprinkler system, you are out of luck and subject to big fines you must contest in court. All it might take us one neighbor (or one hotel organization) to complain.

1 Like

That is absolutely true. And there are several other “hotel-like” regulations that they are applying to STR units as well.

My comment earlier was in regards to the comment that indicated what type of STR units certain people would support.

Just bumping this thread…

I’ve seen so many comments from NYC hosts in the past about…early check-in…awful guests…late checkout…cleanliness…and .bedbugs…

But mostly now reaction to this, your supplemental livelihood?? Just confused…this is MASSIVE, yet nothing …?

I don’t think you need to ‘bump’ up your post it’s only a day since you last posted !

We are an international forum so the vast majority on here are not New York hosts.

2 Likes

Helsi,

My “bump” was not about my short, last post; it was about my original, lengthy post a week ago.

I do understand that this is an international forum; I’ve been here for over a year. I am not looking for an international response, but rather New York hosts who have had a chance to read the post, and can add or comment upon this discussion.

1 Like

Interesting, so you are saying that Airbnb know the information on their website is incorrect, when it says those who let out a room in their home in New York are exempt from the Multiple Dwelling legislation and yet refuse to change it?

What reasons did they give for this, when you told them they had incorrect information on their site?

With their huge legal resources I am shocked they would be giving out false information about such an important issue.

And now Massachusetts looks to regulate STR’s. Voting today, Wed. March 21, 2018 and likely to pass. Airbnb says they have no problem paying taxes but this bill goes too far. MA wants to create a registry of hosts, for a fee hosts would pay, and publish the addresses online (no names). This is what the hotel industry has wanted. Airbnb says it’s an invasion of privacy. There would also be safety inspections, again paid for by hosts. There would be 3 levels of hosts; residential hosts, investor hosts and professional hosts taxed at different amounts. Cities and towns would also be allowed to implement their own additional taxes and restrictions.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/house-bill-would-tax-regulate-short-term-rentals-via-airbnb,534966?

@Mike_L your link doesn’t work.

Helsi,

Currently, the one and ONLY legal way for a host to use Airbnb in New York City is if they live 24/7 in their apartment, and use a room in their home as a STR. No entire apartments, no renting a room if you aren’t present. That means the vast majority are currently illegal.

Airbnb knows it; that’s why they are trying to get a bill through the NYS legislature that will allow entire homes to be legally allowed. Airbnb just has their clause about “make sure it is legal in your area”, which apparently absolves them from any legal issues.

4 Likes

Thanks. Try it now. They changed it.

Thanks for clarifying - so Airbnb’s information is correct on its website (contrary to your earlier post) - if you let out a room or two in your home, then it is legal to do STRs in New York.

Interesting to hear the vast majority in NY don’t live in the premises they use for STRs.

I do agree that if a host has a house and say lets the basement or a separate attic conversion, they should also be allowed to do STRs under this legislation.

Oh Mike…

This is terrible. Hawaii is almost as bad in what they are proposing doing. Levels, registration, higher taxes, etc. One bill under review would make it a class c FELONY to host. Yes, a felony, where you go to jail and are thrown in the same bin as burglars and domestic violence abusers.

I honestly think…the gravy train days may be coming to an end. Even if you host in your home as many of us do, the municipalities are seeing Airbnb and VRBO as a runaway train. And are wanting to put a stop to all of it.

What I resent is that at the state level this is getting legislated when STRs in cities is very different from STRs in rural areas.

3 Likes

I agree, in the UK they are looking at bringing in legislation which would mean if you rent a room in your home you will now be taxed on it (at the moment you can make up to 7K a year without tax).

This is due to come in, this year.

@konacoconutz - making it a felony to host is plain ridiculous.

This line is hilarious: “Airbnb takes issue with the proposal to make some rental information publicly available, citing privacy concerns…”

Airbnb doesn’t give a flip about our privacy as discussed on the thread about the new 48 grace period cancellation policy.

2 Likes

In MA they are saying you’re exempt if you charge less than $15 a night! Who charges that little?

The thing I found disillusioning, but sadly not unexpected, is that Air was willing to cut a deal with NYC as long as only the hosts, and not Air, get fined.

4 Likes

Oh, dear lord, no. Look at the listings. It is apartment after apartment. All illegal. Linda Rosenthal, my fabulous state assembly representative, wrote legislation that also prohibits the advertising of illegal hotels on websites like Airbnb and others like it in NYS cities with a population over 1M. The law would levy fines of $1,000 for the first offense and $7,500 for the third and every subsequent offense. The actual renting of the apartments for less than 30 was already illegal and has been for a long time.

My advice to anyone coming to NYC and booking an whole apartment Airbnb long in advance: DON’T. It will likely be gone by the time your trip comes around.

3 Likes

Ah it sounds similar to London @CatskillsGrrl , where the legislation banning STRs was always there, but not necessarily enforced.

Now the legislation is being enforced, people who let accommodation out for STR, but don’t live in it, are being caught out.

In London it is now capped so if you don’t live in a property you can only let it out for a maximum of 90 days if you want to do STR, unless you apply for planning permission from your local council to do it year round.

Everyone said it would be the end of Airbnb in London but this isn’t the case and the market is still strong.Some hosts in London boast that they simply close a listing down and open a new one for the same space when they reach the 90 day cap.

EDIT

"A study from property services company Colliers – based on scraped data, from commercial analysts AirDNA – suggested that Airbnb’s market share in London nearly tripled in 2017, jumping from 2.8 to 7.6 per cent of overnight stays.

“Despite the 90-day rental cap, London was one the highest growth major markets in 2017,” says AirDNA founder Scott Shatford. “It will continue to see strong growth as business travellers migrate from hotels and Airbnb units are available at a significant discount.”

This might be because, in larger cities there is evidence that growth is connected to the small number of ‘hosts’ who have a large portfolio of property in a city ie property professionals rather than home owners who can easily make tens or hundreds of thousands…

1 Like