Dealing with Guest that's also a Host?

I just stayed with a host a found myself thinking, gee they need a comfortable reading chair and desk or table surface, maybe a robe hook in the bathroom, etc. I had a delightful time so spared them my advice. Their room pictures, after all, were accurate and showed none of these things so they were accurate. If she had asked for suggestions I would have shared them verbally.

I think itā€™s not a bad idea to mention these suggestions in a private message to the host. I certainly wouldnā€™t take offense if a guest did that, regardless of whether they were a host or not.

The host can either take it onboard, or ignore it.

Thatā€™s quite different than offering unsolicited advice during your stay. Not only can that be annoying, it might make the host fear that youā€™ll leave a less than favorable review.

Agreed, Iā€™d only mention recommendations in the ā€˜private feedbackā€™.

Anyway just to update the thread.

The guest is currently staying at my airbnb

On arrival, they stated that the place is ā€˜stunning and that the pictures do not do it justiceā€™

So, assuming they are being honest, perhaps i did impress the host ā€˜thatā€™s seen it allā€™ lool

One thing i did do was repaint/touch up all of the wall areas with scuff marks. I probably wouldnā€™t have done this for a regular guest if Iā€™m honest.

Does that count as ā€˜special treatment?ā€™

Questions I got on leaving review:
how was the wifi
how was the neighbourhood
was the description accurate
is the listing address correct
how well-equipped was the space
what amenities were there - extra pillows, a/c, heating, tv, wm, dryer
did you have the necessary essentials - bedding, bath towels, toilet paper, shampoo, body soap, hand soap, hot water
how was your host - quick to respond, helpful, useful manual, thoughtful touches, welcome gift, helped store bags, flexible checkout, local recommendations,

1 Like

Oh, so now something called ā€œbody soapā€ is an essential, as distinguished from hand soap? What a load of BS. Soap is soap. I use the same soap in the shower as next to the sink. For myself and my guests. Itā€™s just soap. The point is to get clean, not buy more products, just because it has a different label.

I canā€™t believe so many people fall for these marketing gimmicks.

2 Likes

Thanks very much. Good to know.

1 Like

I agree with you, I use hair shampoo soap, One Bar To Rule Over All. :slight_smile: itā€™s so freeing to have no junky bottles in the shower!

But in this case it means hand soap by the basin, and shower soap/gel in the actual shower.

1 Like

Oh good, Iā€™m not the only one who canā€™t stand a ton of bottles of stuff around.

And of course thereā€™s a soap dispenser in the shower and another by the sink.