Damn You Proactiv!

SOB

Bangs head on table

Another set of brand new never used before set of sheets and towels ruined thanks to Proactiv and its Benzoyl Peroxide. Slept on/used three days by my last guests now garbage. Sigh.

That is 6 sets of sheets and half as many towels ruined by a total of 18 guests.

Heading to BB&B tomorrow to buy everything white. Thank goodness one just opened in my town.

1 Like

I know, I’ve had linens ruined by this poisonous stuff before. I hate to tell you, though, that white towels and sheets don’t always survive it either. There is always somehow a discoloration - only visible when you hold it up to the light, probably, but it’s still there.
This summer my main problem has been sun-cream stains. At least, I’m assuming that’s what it is. Nothing seems to get it out. It leaves yellowish patches on sheets. Not a great look :frowning:

I’m really thinking about just letting my house go vacant. Serious.

Are people who use ProActive a protected class? Can I screen for them? KIDDING!

I leave cotton pads, make up removal sheets and face clothes in guest rooms. I drop a major hint to feel free to use this supplies before you go to bed. It has reduced the stains significantly so dont have to throw out ruined items

That’s nice for make-up and the like but ProActive is a face wash with a corresponding cream that is used for acne treatment prior to going to bed. The face was ruins colored towels then the cream ruins the pillow cases, flat sheet where it touches the face and if they lay on the fitted without a pillow, it ruins the fitted sheet too. I think it also transfers from surface to surface. You can’t wash it out as it is essentially bleach.

Edit: 6 sets of white sheets ordered!

Sigh.

Yep, that’s essentially it. I first encountered it a couple years back - a one-night stay (ONE BLEEPING NIGHT!!) resulted in me having to throw out an entire bedset. I’ve actually got in my rules now; “If you use any bleaching facial products, please advise me in advance so I can provide suitable bedding”.

1 Like

I have signs in the bathrooms. I mention it when I do the walk through and I provide white towel/linen options. Still doesn’t stop it. People just don’t think. Probably use all white at home or they are like those people who give towels bad reviews on BB&B because they “develop spots” and they can’t figure out why so it’s the manufacturers fault. :expressionless:

Put it in your house rules then claim for new linens! I have never heard of the stuff in the UK, thank goodness. Can’t be that necessary or effective if people have to keep using the stuff.

1 Like

Oh they sell it there but the UK had the sense to remove the benzoyl peroxide and replace it with salicylic acid. It’s only in the US and Canada that people are allowed to bleach their faces and teeth to blinding whiteness.

1 Like

Omg is it some kind of a whitening thing like Michael Jackson? I was imagining it as a spot cream.

Its a regime used to treat acne.

1 Like

Occasionally Costco has some full size sheets in colored patterns at an unbeatable price (like $20 for fitted, flat and four pillowcases) and colored hand towels and washcloths so I buy them. They all get ruined eventually with bleached out spots. The pillowcases go first and I just sub in some white ones and continue to use the sheets. Then the bleached towels become household rags or I use them in my bathroom.

Paying full price for nice ones I only buy white.

That does not sound great for your skin

I have never heard of it. I would put it in the house rules, if you use it, damage my linen or towels, you will be charged

1 Like

It’s not just ProActiv, it’s any product benzoyl peroxide.

I think I need to accept some responsibility for my disappointment. I wanted to create a different look for each room - a color palette with matching sheets and towels. That’s my way, I like things coordinated and colorful and I care about the linens I use so I was giving guests things that make me happy. I need to care less and just throw white sheets on the beds and provide plain white towels for everyone. I need to think more functional/practical.

I ordered white sheets last night (weren’t available in-store locally) and will go to BB&B this afternoon to pick up white towels.

2 Likes

Since losing 2 towels, a pillow case, and a duvet cover to spot cream, I’ve bought biscuity-cream coloured towels, hoping that the bleaching won’t show too much.
My dog now has more towels than my friend Eddy (who has 6 towels)

1 Like

Oh my, I was trying to figure out how my coloured sheet was ruined with blotches that don’t wash out everywhere! I didn’t think about this so thanks. I put out all types of cleanses etc so it was puzzling me. Yet another thing to try and head off at the pass, thank goodness it has only happened once but it gets pricey trying to keep everything nice.

I bet my dog has more. I had to have a clean out of “old” towels recently, it got ridiculous! I use the not so good towels for myself, I might be able to have nice towels again when I retire- in some twenty five years or so!

1 Like

Proactiv is a highly effective anti acne system.

From the sounds of things, it also degreases crank shafts.

Where there is damage, first contact the guest, and in very short order, Air. This is why my sheets are cheap.

I used ProActive when I was a teen and young(er) adult, but finally stopped when it bleached my new towels. Figured if it was bleaching my towels, it must be trashing my skin.