Curry smells how to get rid of or prevent

I don’t understand at all. What ‘lot’? ‘Tattle’ to who about what?

That’s rather insulting, don’t you think? Am I one of the ‘your lot’ who can’t have an adult conversation?

1 Like

You’re right @jaquo, I mistakenly tagged you. I apologize for doing so. Some “others” on here took offense about an idea I thought of after the fact about how to deal with some awful guests and so “reported” me.
Pathetic.
Anyhow, again I apologize for tagging you.

Sorry @jaquo I tried to reply to you to explain but guess what happened? LOL. Some people… :smirk:

Bowls of ammonia…leave the house…ammonia is a gas dissolved in water and will neutralize Anything.

People need to simmer vinegar if they are going to cook fish or ither smelly stuff.
I dont allow serious cooking for short term guests and curry is off the table for anyone…I love curry, but not for my rental.

After 6 years, I stopped kitchen use. Solves the problem.

I’m guessing you don’t rent out a whole house then. Kind of hard to prevent kitchen use in a whole house rental. Especially when the kitchen is usually at the center of the house and open to lots of other useful areas.

Have you tried Nilodor as part of your response to strong smells?

I live in the home and really didn’t mind sharing the kitchen. It became that some guests would take up 1/2 my fridge space, leave it open when there is a note saying it doesn’t close on its own and totally not clean up.

I gave it my best shot.

Beverly

We had 2 families stay in April in MN, too cold for window open. They left a huge oily mess in the kitchen, wiped the stainless with rags and spread grease everywhere. They asked for a late checkout, allowed their children to mix up all the game pieces in the game room, dumped all puzzle pieces and mixed them up (basically had to throw away all puzzles and many of the games and buy more, children took family pictures out of frames and tore one of them and they ripped pages and covers off some of the books in the reading nook. The guy sent me $50 to buy some more games… BUT that smell lingered for almost 3 months, I finally had a company come in with a machine to neutralize the air in the house.

I have a fridge in the whole house rental that doesn’t close on its own…I put a label on the top edge of the door to remind people and I point it out during the house tour. My mom ended up giving me hers (23+ years old) when she remodeled her kitchen and upgraded. Turns out that even with people leaving the door open it was more efficient and cost effective than hers…I have an energy monitor that shows me the data. The old non self closing one used 8-21 and her old one that does self close uses 24-36. The high end of the non self closing one is obviously when it gets left open. Oh, and my old. I’m self closing one is about 8+ years old.

Welcome to the forum!

You’re renting out your entire personal home to families?

The bedroom or the curry…?

RR

Edited to add, there is no wrong answer…

1 Like

No but it is our vacation home and we do have some family photos of fishing in the lake that the home is on. It has very few personal items in it but we chose to leave photos that depict fun in the home.

2 Likes

Clearly he knew what was going on, people suck sometimes.

Welcome to the forum I look forward to learning with you.

RR

That makes perfect sense. We do advise guest proofing rentals just as one would child proof one. Maybe some sort of frames that could be screwed down or screwed to the wall?

Nobody should have to screw pictures to the walls! I am seeing why some hosts are not accepting kids after reading this. I think what happened to @Robin is the exception not the rule. I would not screw frames to the walls, but I am curious is the rate too cheap? Do you allow big groups @Robin? Not blaming the victim here just trying to figure out who does this sorta stuff.

I say buy the new games, clean up and if you think you can improve, allow less people raise your rates whatever then make changes and move on. Next!

RR

Of course not. But if you don’t guest proof your house you’re going to have more issues than if you don’t.

1 Like

We should write a book, how to guest proof, or idiot proof your Airbnb listing!
Lets see
Always have outside cameras
Always check the unit yourself as soon as guests check out
Never allow a guest to deep fry a turkey on your deck
Do tell your guests when you catch them on camera peeing off your deck
Do not buy expensive wood furniture for guests to skip the coasters and put directly on wood.
Check for boogers after small children stay
Learn how to clean all sorts of gross stuff.

I am sure I am missing some things!

Laugh out loud

RR

4 Likes

I post notes around the home to help guests identify what to do or not to do. I have labeled some of the kitchen cabinets, i.e.: cup/glasses, plates and I have labeled light switches. Over the kitchen sink I put a small sign (4"x4") empty sink strainer, rinse and squeeze out sponge after use. By the kitchen garbage I have another sign ’ take garbage out when full ’ in the bathroom I have a list taped up on the bathroom door, ’ turn on bathroom fan when showering, hang your towels on hooks behind door when damp, wipe off bathroom counter with paper towel if wet, use squeegee on shower doors after use, do not flush anything other than toilet paper down the toilet.
I have been a host since 2015 and I would not hesitate to put a note above the stove to note no cooking with strong spices, including curry… etc. You can mention at the bottom of the note that some guests are very sensitive to smells and thank them for understanding.
Also, for the first time I had my kitchen sink drain slowly after having several guests stay for an extended period. So, now there is a note not to put grease or oil down the sink drain. I provide several empty metal cans to discard oil and grease into. (I label these cans so it they are identifiable)
All that can be done is do the preventative steps with hopes that guests will have the curtesy to understand that there will be guests staying after them.
I looked up how to get curry smell out of your home… it’s not easy and there is no guarantee that it will ever be gone unless you replace your carpet and paint the walls.
Good luck.

1 Like

I have had a note on my fridge in the house too, I recently had to replace it. When I replaced it I used a smaller note… to push the door closed… hahahaha. The past guest(s) ignored the smaller note. Bigger note is going back up!

1 Like