Curious Why Bookings Are Way Down From Last Year

People seem to have forgotten about that.

:rofl:

I understood as well. 2022020202020

1 Like

Hereā€™s her edited description. Is it not better than before ?

With direct access to the George Washington National Forest in our front yard, stellar views, nearly a full mile off the main road, and no neighbors in sight, The Studio @ Lookout Mountain is the perfect location for people who want to get away.

I understand. I asked a question. A lot of defensiveness here.

I think I would lead with this:

With direct access to the George Washington National Forest in our front yard, stellar views, nearly a full mile off the main road, and no neighbors in sight, The Studio @ Lookout Mountain is the perfect location for people who want to get away.

Rather than led with this:

The Studio @ Lookout Mountain has a private entrance from the main house; hosts live above The Studio. The Studio is .9 miles up a well-maintained private gravel lane. In addition to laundering and disinfecting cleaning, all floors and surfaces are washed, and the air is purified between guests. Wildlife of all sorts abounds in this rural part of mountainous Virginia. As nature lovers, we chose not to use pesticides; thus it is not uncommon to spot a creature or two from time to time.

It is very important for on-site hosts to make that situation clear in the beginning of their description- your version, while it reads well, leaves that out.

1 Like
  1. I would make the ā€˜coverā€™ picture #30 or #29. I think that is what youā€™re selling.
  2. I would caption most if not all pictures. Many are captioned; many not.
  3. In your description you say in first paragraph: ā€œAs nature lovers, we chose not to use pesticides; thus it is not uncommon to spot a creature or two from time to time.ā€ Then you repeat that same sentence in body. I would remove from opening paragraph, and not repeat sentences. I would remove from opening paragraph, and not repeat sentences. {Hah ha} And not ā€˜thusā€™ but ā€˜so.ā€™
  4. It seems to me that one of the advantages of your studio is that it is so airy and bright, and its open floor pan with kitchen, island, living area combined . Iā€™d say that.
  5. Iā€™d mention in the body that itā€™s a Queen bed and the size of the sofa bed (Full?). I know itā€™e elsewhere.
  6. Instead of 'beverages" Iā€™d say you offer teas (English breakfast, orange & spice, green tea) and coffee (Arabica blend), with sugar and cream.
  7. Iā€™d like to know more about kitchen as it looks really nice. You might say (Iā€™m making up some details) " Youā€™ll find the open kitchen, four-burner electric range, huge sink, disposal, 20 cf French Door refrigerator w/water and ice dispenser, and kitchen island with seating for four, amply stocked with utensils, filled with counter space and a delightful space to cook and eat while looking out onto nature."
  8. Iā€™d put in body that 'youā€™ll enjoy a 50" LCD [?] TV. Just bring your fire stick or HDMI cable to enjoy your own cable and streaming services from home." [Aside: We did as you did, asked people to bring HDMI cable/Firestick. Few did. When we bought a $100 Apple TV and let guests piggyback off our services (separate Apple ID, so no shenanigans) everyone seems to use the TV. Iā€™d be curious on what your competition does. I looked at four of your competitors; each had either ā€˜TVā€™ or ā€˜TV with standard cable.ā€™
  9. Thereā€™s no grill, right?
  10. Curious how you ā€˜purifyā€™ air between rentals. Is this opening the window? An ozone generator? Air filter?
  11. I searched Mt Solon 3/27-4/1. You came up first. Congrats.
  12. Look at this competitor, for $20 more a night: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20934622?adults=2&check_in=2022-03-27&check_out=2022-04-01&federated_search_id=3235b6ba-f07c-488f-90c2-487afa6de29c&source_impression_id=p3_1646165378_JjzMrNOCuxsB4Ayh
    Notice the wording of the lead. How will you compete? With just price? Look at the lead: ā€œStream-side guest house with fantastic water view in lovely forest setting - just steps from trailheads into vast GW National Forest. Peaceful, private and all to yourself, this 720 sq ft loft is a charming, comfy getaway. During the day go hiking, wading, or just relax on the deck overlooking the stream. At night let sounds of rushing water and the gentle voices of nature lull you to sleep. 11 miles to Harrisonburg. Fast Internet/Netflix. A meditative retreat from which to explore the valley.ā€ Compare your current lead: ā€œThe Studio @ Lookout Mountain has a private entrance from the main house; hosts live above The Studio. The Studio is .9 miles up a well-maintained private gravel lane. In addition to laundering and disinfecting cleaning, all floors and surfaces are washed, and the air is purified between guests. Wildlife of all sorts abounds in this rural part of mountainous Virginia. As nature lovers, we chose not to use pesticides; thus it is not uncommon to spot a creature or two from time to time.ā€ Where would you want to stay?
  13. In my view you need to edit your listing description, consider new/additional pics. Edit, then edit again and again. What are you selling? I think it is that you are 150 yards of steps into GW National Forest. Somehow you need to make that come alive. If your guests are newbies to the area (are you catering to the newbies?) how will being at your place make this EASY for me? And then, when the hiking day is over, youā€™re at this airy, bright, amenity-filled studio (no more steps!). I think you should have a grill. But thatā€™s me.

More comments later.

1 Like

I know, right?!? Is there an emoji for JUST SHOOT ME??? I did not ask for help with my listing. The subject line of this post says CURIOUS WHY BOOKINGS ARE WAY DOWN FROM LAST YEAR. It is not like the rush of guests I had last year, every single weekend (my preferred length of stay), all got together and told all their friends and everyone within a 2-hour drive from my property that my listing was flawed and not to stay there! UGGGH! This is why forums get a bad rap! Thank you to all those to suggested concrete reasons (omicron, 202020202020, etc.) and for those who knew I had a DOG! I am officially unplugging from this postā€¦
CLICK

3 Likes

Well, youā€™re right of course that you did not ask for help with the listing description.

But we donā€™t know what your competition was last year. All we know is that youā€™ve told us that you raised the price by $9/night. Plus whatever we think we might know of ā€“ shall I call it mega trends? ā€“ of what has been going on the last year. I tend to think most relevant information is local.

I am sorry that my comments on your listing description was not helpful to you.

Good luck.

1 Like

@eileenfeim
The rest of us tried to be helpful.

There seems to always be someone who wants to push things.

Have a cup of tea, glass of ice tea, or glass of wine & try to have a good laugh at people, just people.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s at least 3 of us who understood what she meantšŸ˜‚ Personally, I feel she has been beyond diplomatic in her responses to someone that seems to be chewing her up & spitting her out. I think @JohnF put it best. I just love that guy, & would be glad to have an oloroso (sic?) with him sometime!

4 Likes

I have to agree with the consensus that there is nothing wrong with your listing. 45 reviews in a little over a year is a lot. You were quite busy last year and so you wondered if others were experiencing a slower year this year. Also you only have one year of winter/early spring to compare to previously.

4 Likes

Does your reply suggest that you donā€™t have your own short-term rental insurance?

Using this ā€˜use your own riskā€™ language in your listing will likely have little benefit in litigation. It is better than nothing, not as good as having your own insurance.

The legal advice about Airbnb insurance covering only the rental unit is accurate. SO, if there were a fire in the studio and that destroyed your unit above, Airbnb insurance would not protect you. Would your current homeownerā€™s insurance protect you from damage caused by the commercial use of the floor below? I donā€™t know. Do You?