Curious Why Bookings Are Way Down From Last Year

I agree, If I used my words more carefully I would have said 'that’s where MY money’s at." But the overall point, not in your excerpt, is to see what her competition is doin – whether they also limit stays to six days with a one day hiatus in between. If not, that could be a factor in the few listings she’s receiving.

Keep in mind this can vary by host.

I don’t have a vacation rental. I have a roadside pit stop. Few tourists come to my town, El Paso, TX, as a destination. They are driving through and stopping for the night. I get a lot of one nighters and I prefer them. And given that longer stays are more wear and tear, I’m not sure longer stays are better money, at least for me.

It’s not unusual for me to set a limit of one day.

2 Likes
  • Yes, it is booked then.

I thought it was obvious from my deliberate choice of cover pic that Nyx was a dog; but if you were confused, maybe someone else will be too, so I did go through and make it more definitive. Thank you for the suggestion. FWIW, when someone books, my personal communication alerts them that Nyx OUR DOG is omnipresent and will be on hand when they arrive to give them a “friendly and enthusiastic” greeting. Because I once confused a black bear on the property for her, I want to alert guests, especially those arriving after dark, of her presence. LOL

3 Likes

Again, thanks for the suggestion so that I can clarify for others who might also be confused. While it seemed obvious to me that a studio apartment would only occupy a small portion of the large, main house pictured in the listing, I tweaked the language several times throughout so there would be no confusion.

1 Like

The paragraph you quoted from my House Rules begins with the upper case “LEGAL DISCLAIMER” title. Legal advice we received suggested that Airbnb’s insurance policy would only include the actual building guests were renting. By wording the “use at your own risk” language referring to the 20 acres of surrounding property, we are doing what we can to avoid legal action if someone were injured once they were outside.

3 Likes

The listing did say, "Our property ADJOINS the George Washington National Forest " and states that we are 150 yards from the access road. Again, if you were confused, someone else might be as well. I tweaked that to be clearer, too. Again, thanks. I didn’t add the part about National Geographic because, while I didn’t do an exhaustive search, I couldn’t actually find that in print anywhere; it is just info I gleaned from guests who have stayed with me.

1 Like

You have no idea how much energy I put into this! And continue to do so! LOL

2 Likes

I am not trying to make a living out of my Airbnb listing; rather, I am supplementing my income. Because I reside in the main house directly above basement apartment of The Studio, I tiptoe around while I have guests, trying to insure their peace and privacy. When I have bookings, I don’t do yard work that would make noise, and I limit my outdoor activities and personal entertaining so that my guests have the run of the place. I am only interested in maintaining this tomb-like atmosphere for weekends, although I have had mid-week bookings which I’ve enjoyed as well as week-long stays; but I wouldn’t want that to be the norm for me.

3 Likes

While I appreciate that this is your opinion, and you’re free to express it here, in my humble opinion it’s a pretty shitty comment.

JF

4 Likes

Cleaning is not an issue at all. Initially I had a day around bookings because of covid concerns. It works with our schedule and lifestyle to have time to get ready for a guests. Back-to-back bookings would seriously crimp our lifestyle and enjoyment of our own property.

2 Likes

150 yards to ‘the access road’??? What does that mean? Why do I care? What access road? To what? I know this is all obvious to you, maybe to locals. I don’t get the benefits to me. I don’t want to have to work to figure things out.

@JohnF I know how to make ‘safe’ comments or maybe opt for no comments at all. I am giving my raw perspective, not pretending that it is ‘right.’ Just a raw, honest impression from one user. The OP can disregard, consider, filter. But if we want on this forum is to filter honest raw opinions with an intention to help, we can do that. Your message would further that. The bottom line is that the OP wants more revenue. Let’s help the OP do that. The OP can disregard messages as the OP chooses, but what’s important is that the OP sees that some viewers of the property have this impression, and let me tell you I was holding back.

Once they book you have them. The challenge is: 1) to get them to even look at your listing, and 2) then to book.

Dress it up how you like, but you were doing well with the constructive criticism, until you chose to have a personal dig at the OP. Not classy.

Actually says more about you than the OP, who has realised she has an issue and is looking for help.

JF

2 Likes

“Our property adjoins the George Washington National Forest where there are plenty of walking, hiking, and biking opportunities. We are only 150 yards from the access road” = 150 yards to the access road of the George Washington National Forest

No the OP does not necessarily want more revenue. I, the OP, was curious why there was such a dramatic difference in bookings from the first two months of 2021 to 2022 with no changes or my listing.

1 Like

Omicron. 2020202020202020202020

4 Likes

You don’t seem to understand that not everyone’s hosting model is to book as many days as possible.

And why would she hire a cleaner and then have to increase the cleaning fee? It’s a studio attached to her house. She can clean it herself.

1 Like

Common usage

I understood the meaning

1 Like