COVOID-19 Booking Madness

We’ve got bookings nearly every weekend between now and June. And no cancellations so far. But one is for a college graduation and who knows what will happen there - kids are taking classes online now. And another one is for a humongous outdoor music festival in June - can’t imagine that won’t be cancelled. And no new bookings in the last week. I’m in a small town on the Eastern Shore — maybe it helps not being in an urban area.

1 Like

Still no cancellations here in Phoenix. Had a set of guests arrive today, then have guests nonstop until early May. Unfortunately I had to break the news that MLB spring training has been cancelled.

I expect some cancellations but until then I am trying to reassure current guests and future guests that I’m doing what I can to minimize exposure. I’ve left this statement alongside the guest manual.

7 Likes

I just had a dog board here last weekend so they could go over and watch spring training. Glad I got that one in.

I was just working up a similar sheet for my listing. May I steal some of your verbiage?

I read yesterday that the virus is tranferrable to and from dogs. Do you have any information on that?

I doubt that anything is actually known about that. I haven’t seen any credible sources talking about it. Just a few groups of dog owners. No one could quote a source to me.

The World Health Organization says no.

1 Like

I’ve read that is true but that the dogs don’t get sick. I think the concern is dogs being able to transfer the virus to a human.

1 Like

That thing I read said to make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after touching your dog. Thankfully, I live in the countryside, and my dog has little interaction with other dogs or people.

1 Like

I’m still petting my dogs and I’m still dog sitting for the few folks who are still traveling (I’ve had 4 cancellations and about $2000 worth of jobs lost so far). But if I were travelling in NYC I wouldn’t be petting dogs I didn’t know, for example.

1 Like

Can I catch COVID-19 from my pet?
No. There is no evidence that companion animals or pets such as cats and dogs have been infected or could spread the virus that causes COVID-19.

Quoted from the WHO’s Q & A page.

1 Like

Good info, thanks. I can’t remember the source of where I read it was transferrable from dogs, if I run across it, I’ll post. I know there’s a lot of conflicting info out there right now.

I post here for other hosts to leverage what might work and vice/versa so please use as you desire. AND if you have any suggestions for mine, please feel free to critique.

2 Likes

LA (whole small house): I’ve had 4 cancellation requests in the last 48 hours - some of them non-refundable. I got two days rebooked but at a much lower rate as some were for this weekend/next week. One of them is in mid April. I’ve given full refunds and changed my policy to moderate from moderate/non-refundable to better account for the situation at hand. I’ve given full refunds to all. I don’t like taking people’s money given the situation at hand - it’s not right to me. I’ve been 100% booked this year, but I think I’m going to get 50% or less revenue for the next 2-3 months.

What are other hosts doing on pricing for March/April?

3 Likes

Can someone please help me help my guest? This is all so very confusing and I want to make sure my guest gets a full refund.

Guest just messaged me that she’s unsure about keeping her reservation. My setting gives her until the 20th to cancel with a full refund but she’s not sure she can decide by then and wants more time.

I have no problem with her cancelling - I’m in Washington state which as I’m sure you all know has been hit pretty hard by CV19. Frankly I’m thinking of closing my calendar until this whole thing calms down. I’ve never had to deal with cancellation/refund before so off the top of my head I’m thinking maybe she should just cancel now and I’ll hold the days for her opening them back up if she decides to come.

Thoughts?

You can easily call airbnb for any cancellations that happen outside of your policies to make exceptions. It’s very easy to do. I’d tell her to keep her rez and if she changes her mind that you’d be happy to give a full refund at any time.

Does that include all of Air’s fees?

I did try to call Air but gave up after holding for an interminable amount of time. As you can imagine they are very busy.

Also, I was reading another thread where Air requested a guest provide a doctor’s note to get a full refund under their EC policy. That is what worries me. I don’t want to make it a problem for her. I don’t really care if my place is rented or not and given the current state of affairs I’d rather not have it rented.

3 hours ago I’ve had my first cancellation request. This was for 3 days at the end of this Month. I have a Strict cancellation policy and would have been a 50% cancellation fee. His initial inquiry was for a credit towards a stay when all this passes, but I told him I would provide a full refund but I also wanted to ensure that AirBNB also refunded their fees.

After waiting on hold for an hour, I got a rep who was very helpful and did confirm that AirBNB would provide a full refund to the guest (with my concurrence).

I realize I didn’t have to do this BUT:

1. These are extraordinary times, and if it were me as a guest, I’d want the same
  2. All the hotel brands are providing full refunds; I was ready to debate that with the AirBNB should they not be willing to refund their fees.
  3. Customer Service and Karma… my guest was very happy and has advised that he will be booking once we are past this situation.

Since I expect to have other similar requests, I asked the CS rep if there was a way to facilitate this without calling the helpdesk, and was advised unfortunately not. In order to revise the standard cancellation fees and AirBNB fees one needs to call the helpdesk. So make a call, put it on speaker phone and just do something else while waiting.

3 Likes

I’ve reduced mine to about 20% lower. I may go lower still. However I have a business model that has long been predicated on last minute and one night, non tourist bookings.

For now. But I think that will all change soon. From your first post here you’ve been a model of good human and good host. Thank you.

TY!

Wash your hands people! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes