Covid isn't over

Just 2 words - Monkey pox

The only reason it hasn’t run rampant is it is not easily transmissible-yet. However the first cases of monkey pox in children have now been diagnosed.

I read about monkey pox being a concern 2 years ago. Covid 19 was getting all the attention. There is a monkey pox vaccine but not enough of it is available.

2 Likes

I had monkey pox in mind when I mentioned the next epidemic.

I hate living among such stupid, stupid people.

4 Likes

No kidding. Now I read idiots online making fun of anyone concerned about monkeypox, just like they did about Covid, and just as they did with Covid, when they spread erroneous notions that it is only the elderly or those with preexisting conditions, or that they didn’t really die of Covid, but a comorbidity, now spreading BS that monkeypox is a gay disease and if you’re not gay, you have nothing to worry about.

Of course I’m not really serious, but sometimes sterilizing the stupid before they can reproduce doesn’t seem like such a bad idea.

2 Likes

I know exactly what you mean.

Btw polio is back in the USA & UK.

I had the sugar Cube as a child.

My poor Aunt had polio which left a previously bright athletic child, brain damaged & with left side paralysis. Her right arm & contracted hand were unusable. She was able to walk only with a painful leg brace. She was left with the mental ability of a 10 year old.

The post boomer generation have no idea how serious & contagious this can be. I want a new sugar cube NOW.

2 Likes

As far as my recent reading it is the sugar cube, oral vaccine that leads to the new polio cases. It is expelled in the feces of the person who takes it, and can infect anyone coming in contact with that feces, for instance a parent changing their child’s diaper. This is why most of the polio cases since the polio epidemic of the 50s are in areas of the world where they use the oral vaccine.
The injected vaccine does not carry this danger.

I have a friend who has been in a wheelchair since she was 5- she got polio before a vaccine was available. Luckily it didn’t affect her mentally. And amazingly, she managed to carry and birth 2 children.

During undergrad I managed a daycare center. Some parents were so horrible when it came to their kids being sick. Dosing them with fever reducers before they dropped them off then not answering their phones all day. The worst was a coworker discovering the parents had given their child a Tylenol enema to try to rapidly bring down their fever. Some people really are terrible.

3 Likes

Yes some are. Also, some are in a bind or uninformed. The glorification of work over other life activities and the lack of options and resources are also terrible. Many policies of the US and 50 state governments are terrible. Many company policies are terrible.

3 Likes

How long did you have to cancel for? I’ve been taking an individual approach since it is really possible to isolate, but our usual easygoing, chatty breakfast won’t work under these circumstance. I hope that you are still well.

I cancelled for 2 weeks (a full 14 days) from his positive test. Unfortunately, I just tested positive a couple of hours ago in spite of masking in the home and staying in separate rooms. Our next guest is scheduled for 9 days from now. Debating what to do. Will discuss with my dr later today. It is possible to maintain distance. We don’t offer breakfast so I may just contact the guest and let him decide if he wants to cancel. We have a flexible cancellation policy. My husband’s work does not allow a return to work for 10 days after exposure so this has set him back to day one. Fortunately, he can work remotely and has been well enough to log in each day. He also has plenty of leave time he can take. I really feel bad for those whose employers are not as accommodating.

2 Likes

Sorry to read this. I hope you have a mild case with no lingering effects.

4 Likes

I am confused about this, yesterday Biden was talking like they were available to anyone, yet that is not what I have heard from people who actually tried to get them. I am wondering if anything has changed in the last few weeks?

RR

@RiverRock
Yes supply has changed.
A few months ago supply could not meet the number of new Covid cases so it was limited to over age 65 & those with chronic health conditions so high risk of death population.

With the 2nd antiviral entering the market & production increasing for both, a few weeks ago adequate supply became available for all.

I guess I had bad timing on getting sick.
My senses of smell & taste are pretty much gone. I keep losing hair. Kinda sucky.

2 Likes

Oh damn, that is sucky I hope it turns around for you. When I had in in January I never lost taste/smell My Mom had it in February and still has low energy.

We are masking up in public again.

RR

5 Likes