COVID-19 Aid and Assistance

It’s all good… thanks for the opportunity to illustrate how/why people can/should check sites out before engaging.

2 Likes

@melizza … Looked further into the ‘Airbnb citizen’ site on the Wayback Machine.

The archived pages do have Copyright AirBnB so the registrar of the domain is presumably a contractor who builds and manages the site on their behalf.

It looks like Air’s PR/lobbying arm. Most of the content archived from 2016 was about efforts to get Airbnb accepted in various places around the world.

So … it does look like they might be legit.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying @LoneStar! This is good information and moving forward I’ll make sure to vet potential resources prior to posting :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this! I’ve called my mortgage company to no avail (hours of hold time only to be disconnected multiple times). Then googled my mortgage company and CV, and found a link to quickly apply. This was NOT AT ALL obvious on their website. Still can’t find it but application. submitted. Again, thanks for the legwork and info. :hugs:

3 Likes

@NordlingHouse put that one together. Hope it helps!

1 Like

Well then thanks to @nordlinghouse as well! Hang in there everyone!

2 Likes

Philippines
Department of Labor and Employment

https://attracttour.com/2020/03/good-news-watch-steps-to-claim-the-5k-financial-assistance-from-dole/

US

Coronavirus Megathread - resources for every state

Ontario, Canada

Hydro Rates to be Reduced for 45 days

Resources for Restaurant and Bar workers:

2 Likes

Please report Covid related spam, calls, etc to the FTC.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1

1 Like

Arizona, USA

If you claimed being self employed on your IRS return and reported your Airbnb income - you CAN get unemployment if you are closed. There is almost no paperwork. They just need your social security number. Checks start in April based on last years income. The feds are ADDING $600 a week to whatever your state gives you. This WILL HELP.

Do you have a source?

We have an Airbnb family business. We do the financing, my son does the cleaning. It is an llc. We do not pay self employment taxes, but he DID as the working partner. Our part is treated as a passive investment. He went online to the Georgia Dept of Labor and filled out the form as a self employed vacation rental business owner. He was approved on JUST HIS SOCIAL SECURITY number. They said he will get a check for $365 from the state ( that varies by state and GA is low) PLUS AN EXTRA $600 a WEEK from the feds. They said to expect a check for $965 a week starting April 1. Hopefully we can reopen April 15 if Airbnb doesn’t allow our late April folks to cancel. But in some states, it could be much longer.

States SELF EMPLOYED AND GIG WORKERS QUALIFY FOR THE UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS ( special new provision)

2 Likes

So they just apply at their state employment office type entity?

That’s what he did. Online. Easy. I am going to try for one of the “go to your own bank” business loans for mortgage payments on my rentals. Although, I think the rates are 3.75%. I imagine THAT will be a bit more paperwork. But I will post here if it is uncomplicated.

Best of luck to you and thanks for this info.

FYI, We are in the middle of a refi, which we started before this whole pandemic panic. The bank loan process was very backed up because masses was trying to take advantage of the fed lowering rates. They guaranteed our lock for 180 days because they were so backlogged. It took longer than normal to get the appraiser out.

So, I imagine banks are going to be really overwhelmed now that they have these new assistance programs and desperate borrowers in the mix.

You might also advise owners if their cleaners paid income tax on their earnings as self employed persons - they do not have to be “employees” to get unemployment. Just show they have been reported income to the irs as self employed people. Up until the latest stimulus you had to be getting a weekly “paycheck” from an “employer” that has paid into the uinsured insurance program. Apparently someone got to some congressman to remind them that 15% of people were sole self employed people: Yoga instructors, Uber drivers, dog sitters, etc. THE VERY PEOPLE LOSING THEIR JOBS. I’d love to know who to thank.

1 Like