Council tax - tax deductible?

Is Council Tax on an Airbnb if only used for this purpose (annex to house) tax deductible?

Hi @Aikiwodge

I believe if you just use it for holiday lettings, you should be registering it for business rates, rather than council tax and might be able to get some sort of business rates exemption/reduction, but your local council will be able to advise you.

1 Like

Council tax is the UK? I don’t know if it’s the same as property tax in the USA - I don’t think it’s quite the same. However, as this is an international forum and we’re from all over the place, you’ll be better off asking your accountant. Tax stuff is too important to rely on opinions from the internet.

This is the Airbnb link:

Council tax is a local tax on residential homes and I don’t believe would apply for a separate annexe used purely for holiday lettings, for which business rates should be applied @jaquo

I am not sure if business rates would be tax deductable @Aikiwodge have a look on the HMRC site to double check or as @jaquo double check with your accountant (if you use one)

1 Like