Cops at neighbor's house

Hello, long time lurker here and I have learned a lot from you!

So I have a whole house rental and just texted my guests to take out garbage and see how things are. She responded by saying there are 3 police cars surrounding neighbor diagonally from house and she’s guessing its a drug bust and she’s not going outside. I told her I was sorry to hear about the police and she should be safe and stay inside. Should I be doing more like offer some refund? She is in day 6 of a 10 day booking.

Wait… so you knew there was a police action going on by your rental and you asked your guests to scope it out and report back?

Does she want to cancel the remaining days?

She messaged saying there was police surrounding neighbors house.

She didn’t mention it and I didn’t ask. I’m wondering if I should offer partial refund or just hope for the best.

No refund. It is nothing to do with you that the cops are outside your neighbours house, i.e. not something you are responsible for. HAS she asked to cancel, as Jane_Graham asked you?

2 Likes

with all those police, she’s probably very safe. No refund necessary

1 Like

No refund necessary. Hopefully she doesn’t mention it in the public part of the review.

1 Like

Can you call the police station and find out if it wasn’t a drug bust. Maybe it’s something else. Then call her back and give her the details. She might feel more at ease knowing it’s not drug related.

1 Like

I dunno where you live, but the cops here would never give out that sort of information. “Hi, a bunch of you are surrounding my neighbor’s house. Is it a drug bust, domestic violence, or just a heart attack?”

2 Likes

Not exactly like you experience however will share anyway.
My neighbors next door on both sides know I do Airbnb. One day I got a text from one of them to say there were medics and fire trucks outside MY house and someone was taken away in an ambulance - did I know about this? I was babysitting grandkids overnight about 25 miles away. I contacted the guest via Airbnb text and learned one of the guests had heart issues - they did not call and let me know before I contacted them about first responders at my house -~ 3 hours after. I now have a note in my house rules that I am to be contacted immediately if emergency personnel is called to the house (police, fire, ambulance, rescue, etc.) for any reason.
I agree with others - no refund requested, none needs to be offered.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! I’ll refrain from offering any refunds:)

I did end going over to the house about an hour after receiving her text. The neighborhood was quiet. I knocked on the door but no answer. This morning she said they were asleep; didn’t see/hear my text about stopping or door knock.

I called the police station some time ago when I saw fire trucks and police cars in my subdivision. They informed me not to worry, they said it was due to the electrical lines. So, some times they will give out details. It doesn’t hurt to call.

1 Like

She has not asked to cancel. Will most probably get marked down on location but I can live with that.

2 Likes

I think it’s good that you went over there. It shows that you care.

I think this is a bit much, if gramps has a heart attack on holidays in an unfamiliar location, the feelings and requisite notification to host would be my LAST priority. You also have no right to request information relating to a medical issue of guest. Perhaps rethink this one??? What if police are there as guest was sexually assaulted somewhere? You need to know this do you? I think you’re well intentioned but may not have considered the guest privacy aspects?

I’ve been in hospital 5 times since moving into my property, 4 years ago, once for 2 weeks, my rent gets paid and I do what I need to, my landlord doesn’t get notified and never will unless I’m dead. People have a right to privacy.

I wouldn’t mark you down for that so don’t worry. I’d be happy to be in a neighborhood with such swift and competent response when an emergency happens.

1 Like

Per your suggestion I called the non emergency line. They had one of the deputies who patrols the area call me. Basically they were chasing a person eluding arrest for a stolen vehicle and just happened to be in the neighborhood. Have related all to my guest but no word from her. Time to move forward!

1 Like

I’m glad you were able to learn more about the situation. In my city, you can also look in the police blotter to find out why they were called to a certain address.

Hopefully your guest won’t mention it in the review and will be satisfied with how you followed up. I have a neighbor with broken cars and trash in his yard, and occasional police activity, and nobody has complained yet. Well, the other neighbors complain, but not the guests!

1 Like

Also, I suspect more people would find all that drama exciting, rather than feel they need a refund.

“oh no, police, I’m going to need $59”, isn’t a usual reaction

1 Like