Cool Service [Ting] to Monitor Electrical Systems in Home

I was recently at a CERT meeting [CERT = Community Emergency Response Team] for the City of Worcester. A presentation was made by a member of the City’s Fire Department that recommended this service: How Ting Works - Simple DIY Solution for Fire Safety | Ting

As you’ll see from the site this sensor simply plugs into a wall socket and then it detects for all the circuits on that electrical panel whether there are any electrical issues that warrant attention. It even offers a lifetime credit of $1,000 for authorized work needed to be performed by a Ting-approved licensed electrician.

The system works on 120V as well as 240V, I didn’t study the fine print but that fact suggested to me that this service would work overseas.

I have a concern about our home’s electrical wiring because I live in a home built about 60 years ago and because it is apparent that previous owners did not get all their work permitted by the City. So it was possible for some shoddy wiring behind the walls, but how would you know?

Reading the testimonials the customers also cited a number of times that the issue was from the utility provider or from loose wiring that is easily fixed but usually not otherwise checked.

In Worcester the #2 cause of fires is electrical fires.

The cost for the service is $350 in year 1, then $99/year thereafter.

Per the site I contacted my insurer, Proper, to see whether they would pay some of the fee. They said that this vendor was not an approved vendor but looked like a worthwhile service and would reduce my premium by 5-10% if I installed it. [I don’t know if I will get 5%, 10% or something in between, but the premium reduction even at 5% will pay for most of the first-year cost and ALL of the subsequent year costs. [I need to get two because we have two separate electrical panels, neither of which is a sub panel.]

I thought that this group might find the Ting service valuable, and appealing that Proper might reduce its premium to defray some or all of the cost.

1 Like

$350 is a good start at actually bringing your system up to date, which is what is needed. "Monitoring’ a system that is suspect is just a band-aid. I suggest fixing your electrical.

The challenge is that I don’t KNOW if anything needs fixing.

I happen to be upgrading my electrical service this week, and have an electrician here who thought that this service was worthwhile. The electricians did some rudimentary checking but my understanding is that this service goes beyond that.

So I don’t know that my system is ‘suspect’ except ‘suspect’ by me because I’m conservative, see that permits were not pulled and that work has been done whose quality I cannot check.

The quality of the materials used and what the electrician could easily check led him to say that he thinks the work done here that he has seen was fine. The electrician, who mapped the outlets to the new panel by testing each one, did not see anything not in compliance with the building code.

But as the City’s Fire Department representative said, "You can’t see behind the walls.’

Always get 3 quotes for any work. And the electrician’s job is to figure out what is needed, if anything. You need IMHO another3 electricians - yours is out of the running.

1 Like

Interesting since my house is 210 years old and I have only had the attic electrical work and a few other outlets totally redone. If I planned to stay here for any length of time I would certainly consider this.

2 Likes