Convicted Felon Rented My Property, Committed 2 More Felonies

Take another look, @Annet3176

FYI I successfully filed two claims in Small Claims court.

1 Like

I would go HARD after AirBNB for this given that they introduced a convicted felon into a rental. Convicted felons have buddies on the streets. The OP is vulnerable, extremely vulnerable, to a repeat, ESPECIALLY if a firearm was taken.

Thatā€™s a feature, not a bug (for the Feds). For AirBNB though, itā€™s plain old laxity and negligence.

Ostensibly, as noted earlier, AirBNB CURRENTLY claims that all ā€œmembersā€ undergo background checks if they have the first & last name and date of birth. Now I would think that would be all members that undergo verification with Govā€™t ID, yes?

See, this is exactly why AirBNB will crash and burn, hard. It doesnā€™t know what it is. Is it just a ā€œlisting channelā€ ? Then why have Trust and Safety at all. Every man and woman for him or herself.

Is it more of a place with a 50,000-word Terms of Service that go FAR beyond a ā€œlisting serviceā€ ? Such that you can be delisted over a supposed infringement? Doesnā€™t sound like a ā€œlisting serviceā€ to me.

Air is completely schizoid and that doesnā€™t get you too far in the business world.

Well, that certainly doesnā€™t apply to Instant Book ā€¦ and unless a host is informed ā€œwe got a felon here for you!ā€ in the AirBNB bio, it doesnā€™t seem to be much of an informed choice now does it.

Only ask this if you know whether you want it recorded or not. And if you are in a two-party state such that you can decline to be recorded.

So the firearms are disclosed? Did the felon use that info to target your home? Interesting that he broke in and stole specifically those things. Sounds like an inside job? Any ā€œfriendsā€ who knew you have guns and would be out of town.

1 Like

@PuppyLover

Youā€™ve invested a considerable amount of time & energy to point out to multiple people how wrong they are. I hope you feel better now letting everyone know you are right. This is the kind of banter that makes me just feel tired.

2 Likes

Itā€™s important (to me) to be accurate.

Would definitely correct a post of mine if I had mistakenly said that the Terms of Service precludes court action. Thatā€™s kind of a whopper, and not helpful to the forum community.

Hopefully folks can tell by my reply to your post that the following statements:

• You donā€™t need to worry about a court.
  • You must agree to arbitration.

Are factually incorrect.

Time will tell. That would not be my prediction but Iā€™m not in the prediction business. And the focus on the missteps, hazards, successful claims, robbed homes, murdered hosts or guests, etc., ad nauseum doesnā€™t mean that there arenā€™t millions of successful incident free bookings every year. Successful company doesnā€™t equal company with no problems of with a clear vision of their business. Itā€™s a company that makes a profit. They claim to, but Iā€™m curious to see the info that will come with an IPO.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the $64,000 question, isnā€™t it.

Sorry to be such a pessimist, or realist, but I think Air is a hot mess, and unless it can get cleaned up (how? itā€™s a very lax shop) I donā€™t see any future for it.

Get the same impression from the official AirBNB Community forum. A tsunami of disillusionment from hosts, endless endless problems with room damages and the less dramatic stuff than the murders, thefts etc.

it makes perfect sense as it aligns with your experience. And my sunny outlook aligns with mine. Iā€™m sure it will only take one time of me getting burned by them to change my tune.

I donā€™t have to tell you that sampling forums where people come to complain is not a reliable measure of the problems Airbnb faces. Airbnb claims that on any given night an average of 2 million people are staying in an Airbnb. People with a problem are highly motivated to find an outlet to complain.

I can tell you this: Iā€™ve been on the forum since 2015 and people have been warning since then that Airbnb was doomed. Forcing hosts to adopt IB, the race to the bottom with prices and the lack of support for hosts have been three common complaints. It may fail or succeed but I will have gotten my $64,000 answer by the time its future is clear.

3 Likes

Do VRBO, Booking.com etc do background checks on guests?

@Magwitch

Maybe but I donā€™t think so. Not too long ago, I did a booking request by providing basic email & phone number information.

When I listed my 2 BR condo on VRBO 3 years ago, background checks were not done.

Iā€™m tired & whiney about rentals now but it will pass. Iā€™m really thinking I need a co-host for the summer. It isnā€™t Airbnb Iā€™m tired ofā€¦its just people.

My experience with Airbnb has been good. Not perfect; nothing on earth is perfect. Iā€™m making money. Iā€™m booking 5 months out. I havenā€™t had any serious problems. Iā€™m either lucky or blessed; Iā€™ll take either one or both.

2 Likes

Thanks. I donā€™t believe hotels or guest houses do background checks either? Yes, yes, I know Airbnb hosts are not comparable to hotels/guesthouses (until it suits themā€¦).

Iā€™m sorry to sound harsh but you kept a firearm and a credit card on your property while you werenā€™t there? Why would you do that??? And the firearm CLEARLY wasnā€™t secure becauseā€¦well, somebody bloody stole it. Duh.
I donā€™t see Airbnb to blame for this.

6 Likes

Iā€™m sorry this happened. Iā€™ve read about guests breaking into locked rooms/cabinets, etc. and stealing all kinds of stuff, so yeah, itā€™s unfortunately a lesson learned.

It really doesnā€™t matter what was stolen. If it was locked up, then it was locked up. We do not know that it ā€œCLEARLY wasnā€™t secure.ā€ There are people that can get through various security measures really easy. I have a friend that is a software engineer and can pick any keyed lock. Itā€™s a hobby of his, but you know if he can do it, then other people can too. The same goes for MANY other types of security. If the guest had broken into a locked garage and stolen the hostā€™s car even though the keys to the car were not even on the premises, would you say the the car CLEARLY wasnā€™t secure?

I agree. Theyā€™re not. Itā€™s not the hostā€™s fault, either. In this case itā€™s very clearly the guestā€™s fault. Could the host have done something different to mitigate the loss? Absolutely, but that opportunity is gone.

I hope this is a lesson for hosts to (1) remove all valuables from the property, and (2) have appropriate short-term rental insurance.

BTW, it really doesnā€™t matter whether Airbnbā€™s vets the guest or not. If the ā€œfelonā€ had a friend with no record, the friend couldā€™ve booked for 2 people and thereā€™s no way to know that the felon was part of the group because Airbnb doesnā€™t require information about every guest in the group. If you are a host and rely on Airbnb to vet your guests for your protection, youā€™re naive (and Iā€™m being nice by using that word).

3 Likes

It kind of does though when itā€™s a firearm, no? But Iā€™m not American so probably should refrain on commenting onā€¦ fuck it, your REALLY weird addiction to an ancient amendment to the constitution. But I live in the UK so I should talkā€¦ :frowning:

4 Likes

What makes me uneasy - or rather, what I donā€™t understand - is that this guy (assuming male) is a felon. This means that he has committed serious crimes. 'Typically" says Wikipedia ā€œwith violenceā€. He has, according to the OP, multiple warrants for his arrest.

This means he is facing jail time, and probably quite a lot of it. Or, if his recent felonies were truly nasty, life imprisonment or death row.

So, he uses his real photograph, his real name, uses his real ID, real phone number ā€¦ so that he can stay at an Airbnb or two. Or steal a gun, anyway.

Arenā€™t there easier ways to steal a gun that using a method that needs him to give all his real information? Iā€™m sure that convicted felons with many outstanding warrants probably arenā€™t the sharpest knife in the box but this seems like a pretty crazy way to acquire a gun.

Like @Magwitch, I donā€™t understand why a guest should be able to gain access to a gun and a credit card. Donā€™t people keep things like that in the safe? Especially when they have a business that means strangers are going into the house? The OP will presumably be claiming on his STR insurance for these items anyway so like some others who have posted here, I donā€™t see what responsibility Airbnb has here. The company simply introduces people - it facilitates those wanting a service to get in touch with those requiring that service - it doesnā€™t run our business for us. Thank goodness.

Martha Stewart is a convicted felon, for insider stock trading.

Felons who complete their terms in prison etc are not considered untouchables, but rehabilitated.

All the Trump administration felons are going to prison for tax evasion, perjury, etc. Letā€™s not paint the ā€˜felonā€™ as simply a violent thug.

I too am concerned about the firearm, but not by whoever stole it, since it also has value ā€˜on the streetā€™. I AM concerned about a host who has one in the same place as a guest is staying, and also how poorly it was secured.

4 Likes

To build on @Rolf ā€˜s commentsā€”-there are felons with marijuana drug convictions that today in many states the same drug & quantity that landed them in jail is now legal. However they broke the laws at that time.

On a personal note, my first thought without knowing anything of a convicted felon is that they have a scary history. It is easy to think the worst. Iā€™m not saying it is the right thingā€”just my immediate reaction.

3 Likes

I think Puppylove has raised some very good points.

I know for a fact that convicted felons have stayed here in my home while I slept here. And that the behaviour of some other guests was markedly antisocial, to the point where the local police made a special visit to encourage me to quit Airbnb.

I have a lot more assurance when I book direct and have the links I need to verify and protect myself and other guests. But admittedly a good con can get past that. Itā€™s just never happened.

The point is that nobody signed on for this. Hardnosers will say we should have expected it. But many of us collectively were sold on the illusion that the host guarantee worked, people were decent and respectful, and that they could be removed without penalty if we or ours were treated with disrespect. Welcome to the jungle.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for your input and Iā€™ve also checked out your page to see how you dealt with small claims. I think you bring up some very good points. The police officers who came to my house to address the scene, pull prints, gather evidence etc showed me that the individual who used Air BnB to rent my property:

• used their REAL FIRST AND LAST NAME
  • a REAL picture
  • REAL government ID, and corresponding phone number that appear IDENTICALLY to multiple systems they access that show criminal activity and records. This person has a rap sheet dating back over 11 years ago with continuous crimes up to the present.

One of the questions I think I would be great to get on a recorded line is ā€œDid you run a background check on this person?ā€ If they decline to answer, is it because they donā€™t want to, or because they are not legally allowed to tell me that? Who is legally allowed to tell me that? If they did, what did their background check show?"

This of course follows with my feeling that there is some gross negligence on Air BnBā€™s part here depending how and what they answer with.

Again- my intent is not compensation, but rather to make this a safer, better system.

2 Likes

It is important to you, but not to everyone else. It is exhausting.

RR

4 Likes