Continue to get lower ratings on value but 5-star with everything else?

No it IS in the liability policy terms… NOT the host guarantee (damages) plan. I just read it.

If you give your guest alcohol and they get intoxicated say, they fall and hurt themselves, it’s excluded. Also excluded is any incident relating from giving your giving alcohol to a minor, which is obvious.

I could be wrong but I believe the LIABILITY coverage they offer only extends to a few countries, and CR may not be one of them…

So in theory when I left some vodka in the freezer during Jennifer party girl stay a couple of years ago… and say they drank it and fell down my stairs and got hurt… then the liability coverage would be denied. Because I provided alcohol.

The host guarantee is an entirely different plan. That’s for damages, as we know.

I would love the link please.

My CR rental was VRBO so it doesn’t matter. I’m just saying that’s the kind of rental (big $$, whole house) where it’s almost expected. As I said I think the pros outweigh the cons even if Airbnb does explicitly say don’t provide alcohol because we won’t cover that. Because they aren’t going to cover it anyway and the chances of an incident are small. I’ve offered several guests beer or wine over the years and I wouldn’t trade those nights for anything. Of course I don’t have stairs, a deck, a steep driveway, etc.

NVM. I found it. (They don’t make it easy do they?) The wording is ambiguous (no surprise there)
Just spend a few moments reading through this document and you will never host again. LOL. As I said, nothing is covered.

1 Like

Can you post the link to the whole thing? :laughing: will save me trying to find it and could be good for the thread.

Providing alcohol is something hosts will do regardless. But I think it’s a bit too dicey to do and then what happens if you need to claim?

1 Like

To get all the details you have to download the pdf. The link is at the bottom of the summary page.

https://www.airbnb.com/host-protection-insurance

Amen, I could not have said it better myself. I’ve only been a host for 10 months but I have gone through all these stages and the same thing was true for me: The little special things I did were rarely commented on, with the exception of the happy birthday lights I hang up for guests having birthdays. A couple of times my homemade cookies have been mentioned. I’ll leave little things out still, depending on who’s coming and what occasion is going on for them (never alcohol), but I certainly don’t do what I used to do because it really did feel disheartening to have it not acknowledged at all and then other things are nitpicked at when I’m offering a space that is at a five-star level or beyond. I had to get to a point of feeling nearly completely burned out and resentful of my guests to make some changes, and now I feel like I have struck a good balance between offering great hospitality and having firm and clear boundaries and being mindful of my profit margin at all times.

And you’re right, all of these little extras certainly cuts into the profit margin. I have learned so much this last 10 months and before I even opened I read as much as I could on this Airbnb Community forum, and I would not have started out as successfully as I did without all of the things that I have read hear from all of you! :smiley:

3 Likes

Awe! Very sweet! :heart_eyes:That’s why we are here you know! The owner of this forum funds it out of his own pocket (and it’s not cheap) so that we may all have a place to connect host to host. I know for me, I would just like to save new hosts the trouble of a learning curve that I had. It’s not always well received when we give advice… but we often have hosts who want to learn the hard way come back and say… ooops you guys were right!

I am a host in Kona Hawaii… I do not have a fancy resort room. It’s a clean, serviceable space near the a secluded beach. Lots of privacy. I really want to help guests make the most of their trip here affordably. The big resorts, especially at this time of year (sold out for the most part) are not affordable and there is a $40 daily mandatory resort fee added to your bill. Plus you are always driving in traffic.

My guests are the USUALLY the type who want an authentic Hawaii experience away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. I just had a guest describe the downtown as “Breckinridge.” In other words, overbuilt, crowded, and touristy. That is not what they were looking for.

Cannot please everyone of course. But one thing that didn’t pay off for me was trying to do extras. To do extras and then get cracked HARD in a review about something else was disheartening and once or twice was enoug. Never again!

It’s a good place to be, right? :slight_smile: It stops you feeling resentful as well which I think is probably the most important thing.

Thing is, though, you can’t teach experience can you? It doesn’t matter how much you insist, everyone has to go through their own learning curve. On the other hand, this forum is such a wealth of knowledge and a lot of it will seep through whether the questioner likes it or not!!

1 Like