Constant requests from guest with no past stay or reviews

So I constantly get request for stays at my place. However they are from brand new guests with zero reviews. My house sleeps up to ten people and usually its over 8 people staying. I find it hard to believe that out of ten people the person who wants to be responsible is new to Airbnb?? I will usually ask if they have such a big group that someone with prior stays and reviews in the group book the stay. I also live in a city that requires a licence to Airbnb and in a strict HOA. I’m I paranoid to think its not real guest or is this common?

About 60-70% of my guests are new to Airbnb, so I wouldn’t find it unusual, but I don’t know about your market. I don’t even know which country you are based in :slight_smile:

Just make sure you are vetting your guests properly, have the correct insurance, CCTV etc to help monitor your guests to ensure your house rules aren’t being broken.

1 Like

Sorry - you’re paranoid :slight_smile:

Most of my guests have no reviews. I’m wondering why you think this is unusual or why it should be a problem for you?

1 Like

So my house is in the Palm Springs area which is a well known gathering place for vacationing. I guess the other part is we only have one camera which is a door bell camera. Sounds like I need to get more cameras!

1 Like

I’d guess about half my guests are new to Airbnb. Everyone started as a newbie at some point!

The most frequent issue is that, as first time users, they don’t always know what’s important to read, where to find check-in and house manuals, etc. But even seasoned Airbnb peeps don’t read that stuff.

In actuality the guests leave the place in about the same (excellent!) shape. The only other issue I sometimes get is they don’t “get” the review system, so they take off stars for literally no reason but “Oh, this isn’t a 5-star resort where they wait on me hand and foot, so I’ll give 4 stars.”

Outdoor cameras (enough so you can see who is coming/going) are invaluable. With those in place I’d try out some newbies and see how it goes. Your acceptance rate will be much happier for it!

1 Like

What @Helsi said.

About 99% of my guest requests have 0 reviews or are new. Just make sure you message and vet them properly and get picture IDs uploaded to messenger. I’ve had more issues with the folks who have 2 or 3 reviews than the newbies.

1 Like

Just like the others- many of my guests are new! Everyone needs to get their start somewhere- and that includes hosts!!

Another one here with many, many first time Airbnb users. IMHO you are losing a ton of business by being prejudiced against first time Guests.

Yes, if you do not live on site you need a local “caretaker” and additional cameras to make sure you aren’t being taken advantage of. However – the vast majority of new, adult, Air Guests are perfectly wonderful people looking for an alternative to hotels.

Paranoia is NOT appropriate for an Airbnb Host. Palms Springs is not the only place on the planet, or the US, or even Cali which is a “well known gathering place for vacationing”. It’s not even that special these days. Both coasts of Florida are at least as well known for vacationing, for example.

When I started out I was leery of first time guests. What the others said…If I declined them all, I wouldn’t have many bookings. Also, my acceptance rate was too low.

Then I was leery of 1 night bookings. I realized that hardly any competing hosts in this area allow 1 night stays. So, I decided to cautiously allow them.

I’m still a bit leery of them, TBH, but I take extra precautions. I point blank tell them when they request that we don’t allow parties, and any parties will be shut down and they will be evicted the same night. I also post a stricter sounding version of my house rules on the fridge.

A doorbell camera is critical. And having a local person who could come and kick them out. I do.

That said, where I live is not really a party destination. Everything is expensive here, many restaurants don’t even serve alcohol, and there is no nightlife to speak of. Is your location a popular spot of huge house parties?

Basically, have clear cut, strict rules, with consequences for breaking them. Now, we all no that Airbnb isn’t good about giving hosts money from the deposit for damages, but guests, especially new ones, are not always aware. Have an adequate deposit!! Even if it’s just a deterrent.

Ask new guests to confirm they fully understand the listing and to ask any questions BEFORE booking. Also ask them to confirm they read the rules. Make them feel like you are doing a bit of a favor for them, taking a chance on someone with no reviews. They need to understand that hosts can leave bad reviews too, and having one will affect their ability to book on Airbnb in the future.

1 Like

I just had a booking cancelled by admin for this. New user, doesn’t know what is important to notice on the listing like, the number of beds!!!

Booked my place for 8 adults. I point out that there are only 3 beds, 1 couch, 2 air beds. Up to that point it had always been kids using the inflatables and/or couch.

Oh heavens no! We can’t sleep on air beds. Then nothing. I write and ask please kindly cancel because you have my calendar blocked. Guest says okay. Then doesn’t do it. And it’s in “awaiting payment” status and I have to wait 24 hours for it to cancel if the guest doesn’t pay.

I contact support. They reviewed the messages and see that I was willing to host, the guest said unsuitable, the guest said yes I will cancel it, and didn’t.

Poof. Cancel by admin.

If it is a first timer, try to anticipate what they may have overlooked. This was pretty obvious to me as something I should confirm up front rather than have a house full of grumpy guests giving me a bad review after 4 days of restless sleep. No thanks.

And my particular part of South Florida is still trying to get over its Spring Break image from forty or more years ago :slight_smile:

I understand your concerns especially with a large home that is unattended. I will say that I have had many first timers who have really been great; some which have been my best guests. So listen to what many of the hosts here have stated, but also ensure that you do the proper vetting.

My house rules I state “prior reviews are required” but I caveat that with exceptions if they provide certain information about their stay (see attached) and comply with the other house rules and items on file with ABNB.

If they submit an inquiry without that information, I reply with a message:

Thanks for your interest.

ABNB is a review based business and as such I do my best to ensure that my guest house and my guests expectations are in synch. Since you are new to ABNB and have no reviews, I would appreciate it if you would provide some information about yourself, your 2nd adult, and what brings you to Phoenix. I’d also like to confirm that you have reviewed the listing and will comply with the house rules. In addition to the information about yourself, let me know what questions you have for me.

I also need to advise that ABNB evaluates me on how quickly I respond to your inquiry. If I don’t hear back within 24 hours, I will need to cancel the inquiry to avoid my own ratings getting lowered.

If I get a satisfactory response I book them. If don’t hear back, that answers my question, and I either archive it or just decline.

I apologize for putting @AFineHouse on the spot but because she also has a large home in PS that she lists, she better than anyone can provide the best insight in how to handle the PS vacation rental scene.

1 Like

If you are trying to avoid parties then cap the number of guests to 6 max, that covers most families. Lock extra bedrooms. Most of my guests are newbies they are fine with me.

RR

I had considered a cap of 6 until I studied my competitors. I am one of only 2 or 3 that hosts over 6 for under $500 a night. I cap it at 8.

2 of the beds available for a party over 5 are air mattresses, one is a couch, and that’s with 4 people in 2 beds. It has deterred adults and groups of single males so far.

I briefly considered adding more beds and decided I like the big group deterrent. Only kids except 1 adult have used the inflatables.

Most groups have been 3 to 5 people.

Happy to help. In Palm Springs, it is unique because it is the most regulated vacation spot in the country. Our home can actually house 12+ people but we are limited by the number of guests per bedroom. In addition, we are limited by the number of cars per bedroom. I believe the risk for the OP is not so much that the inquiry has no reviews, but that no reviews might indicate that they are not aware of the very strict noise ordinance that is in place and the 24 hour hotline and task force which responds to these calls. First fine is $250 (lowered from the original $500 penalty). NO music is allowed outside whatsoever. And it counts as a strike against the house until it drops off after one year. Three strikes and you’re out. And as of this year, you cannot contest an individual strike until it results in permit forfeiture (I believe they made this rule after my husband and I became the first people to successfully appeal one). The permit is $950. While in most cities, a new user with no reviews is common, in Palm Springs it’s always best to be a little cautious and ask for any information you need in order to ensure a worry free booking.

As for cameras, we have five around the perimeter. And a Ring doorbell. And a Concierge that checks everyone in.

1 Like