Condiments, cooking supplies

My unit is a cottage with cooking facilities. After the last visit some odds and ends of food were left in the fridge, margarine, yogurt etc. I kept the yogurt but tossed the margarine as I don’t use it. The most recent guests left a lot more, cooking oil, ketchup etc. I don’t want to waste, but not sure if future guests would appreciate other people’s food or think the fridge hadn’t been cleaned out. What do you think? Obviously, if food was kept, I’d toss if past best before date.

What does Judaism have to do with leftover ketchup?

1 Like

LOL[quote=“Louise, post:1, topic:7572”]
if food Jews were kept
[/quote]
That’s got to be an auto correct fail.

I was in a rental with a bunch of food in cabinets and opened containers of condiments in the refrigerator. Just leave a note or put in the house manual that it’s there for their use. If they are OCD they can buy their own.

3 Likes

Oops damn autocorrect !

I think you have to “curate” the leftovers. Salt, pepper, cooking oil if the bottle isn’t nasty, ketchup, mustard, untouched sticks of butter or margarine… things that no one dips a spoon into and then dips again should be fine. Open quarts of yogurt, peanut butter, open milk, pickles, half a stick of butter, things that could be contaminated, I would either use myself or toss. And I like @KKC 's idea that you leave a note saying that items have been left for their use.

3 Likes

I will either let people know about the food and shampoo bottles, etc. in an email when I am finding out their ETA, or I will send a text right before they arrive to let them know to help themselves to anything in the kitchen and bathrooms, as it is there for guests. I purposely do this to try to fend off any potential negative comment about the fridge not being cleaned - or they think that the owner left their personal food in there.

As far as opened items/condiments in the fridge, I have everything on one side shelf so it looks neat and clean.

Some guests will think it is gross, but oh well. I think most guests appreciate it, especially if they are only staying for 2 nights. It’s too bad we can’t please them all.

1 Like

I take out anything that has been opened. Many times, these are items we eat ourselves. (This is probably why I have what’s probably the world’s finest collection of salad dressings!) But if it’s something we wouldn’t use, I offer it to my neighbours who are usually glad to accept it.

I would remove dairy items – milk, yogurt, etc as they can sour at the drop of a hat. Partial bottles of mustard, ketchup, relish, pickles I would keep. Open top containers like mayonnaise, jams, salsas, etc are more problematic – I would not keep mayo or salad dressing as it can go bad quickly. Jams and salas, if not gross from previous content removal should be fine.

1 Like

Let the guests know, either through a sign, telling them in person, or in a message, that they’re welcome to use items left by prior guests in the fridge. Then you choose what stays and what goes.

2 Likes

I have a guest fridge and let them know that on the door the items found there included in the stay.
Items in the fridge are my courtesy items and have price stickers on them and are available for purchase. So there are fresh eggs from our chickens, milk, butter, cereal, frozen sliced bread for toasting and condiments. Sometimes there are small jars of home made marmalade.