Concierge as a Service for Airbnb Guests on behalf of Hosts

I provide local recommendations in the welcome book in my unit. I do up a calendar of “Stuff to do for free this week” in the larger metro area and post it on the board, if the guests are tourists. A lot of guests are pretty savvy about doing their own advance research if they are vacationing. I have a full time day job, so I can’t offer any Airbnb “experiences” like a pub crawl or whatever. Of course I leave them all the discount restaurant and other coupons I get, but what I might be interested in is accessing discount tickets for local attractions, shows and sports event, and brokering them to my guests. In fact, I’ve been thinking about making subscription theater tickets available to guests for a slight mark up, if they don’t bite I get to go to the theater as usual, but that may be illegal! Airbnb, are you listening? (Surely you lurk on this site.)

Host, I’m a bit suspicious of you. It sounds like you are trawling our forum for product development purposes. You made two posts in the last hour and both seem to solicit information for a new service you are developing.

Are you actually a host or an “entrepreneur?”

3 Likes

Whether he’s host or entrepreneur, if I see one more of his “thank you for your reply” responses, I’m going to ralph. I counted 7 so far. (barf!) Sorry, couldn’t help it.

4 Likes

It reminds me of the sales tactic where the salesman repeats your name as many times as they can, to build a sense if rapport… only it ends up being super creepy.

(Especially when they get it wrong. Story time! The probably alcoholic guest who hit on my sister, kept calling her by my name. She counted 4 times in one sentence. And that was after she said “Dude, I’m not Alia. I’m M_.”)

I think that particular tactic is from neurolinguistic programming. Not sure where the reply thanking comes from.

2 Likes

Let’s ask the OP.

PS: Is her name Malia? (It’s just as pretty!)

Agree. I’m constantly surprised at how bad an impression pseudo new entrepreneurs who post here create. It’s like they had the idea, ran to the computer and posted it without any research, costing or marketing strategy. Then they expect hosts to be all excited to give them help to create their product and promote it for them.
My place is a basic cottage in the woods. I don’t offer concierge services. They get basic info, grocery stores, beer and liquor stores. A few maps and local attractions brochures are in the cottage, but I expect them to figure out what they are going to do. They all have access and ability to use the internet. If they want me to hold their hand, they need to go somewhere else. My Easter guest’s came between winter and summer activities. There was ice on the lake a few days before they came. It should be obvious that big season attractions like boat tours aren’t open yet. They live in the same province. And yet didn’t know the rules re stores not being open in Good Friday. It annoyed me that they hadn’t done their homework before booking, but expected me to make it all better.

3 Likes

Thank you! I love my sister’s name, but it’s not a traditional name (mine is traditional, just not in my culture) and I try to protect her privacy online by not referencing it in public forums. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting! If you wish to keep it under wraps, no biggie. I love my younger sister’s name and named someone after her. I have a crap name which is confused with other connotations though some love it. My mother read it in a romance novel and…well, you know who is stuck with it.

Malia is Mary in Hawaiian.

1 Like

How could it possibly be time consuming? What are you spending so much time on? Guests have access to Google, Yelp, etc. if they don’t want to just follow their nose and “be a tourist”…be adventurous.

Also, if you’re trying to offer a concierge service, most of your clients are going to be located in places miles from wherever you are, so you’ll be doing the exact same thing the guest would be doing–searching Google, Yelp, Trip Advisor.

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply konacocnutz. I can understand why you may be suspicious. My apologies if I did anything to disrupt this community, that wasn’t my intention.

I am both. I’ve been hosting for more than three years, I’ve hosted more than 100 guests, and have Superhost status. I also have experience developing products.

Hi @hostconcierge

Do send us a link to your listing, always nice to see listings for new members :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Please use the forum for discussing real and ongoing issues with fellow hosts.

just offer it on the host assist - best place to do market research - most hosts would rather you set up a management ie let guests in while they are away deal with laundry and cleaning - and charge 7% rather than the going rate of 20% or agent fees 25% - then you will be flying
note to you though finding and keeping cleaners is a nightmare -

So, I’m also spending a lot of time recommending products to try i.e. coffee, wines, local chocolates, etc. I really enjoy recommending the stuff that I’ve discovered but gets a little redundant after the 10th guest and on… lol.

Is there a service or a platform that I can recommend products to my guests?