Concerned about new Airbnb policies re: Discrimination

There has only been one time that I’ve knowingly declined someone on account of their photo. I’m a single woman living alone, hosting with a shared space in my home. This guy’s profile photo was a selfie with his arm around a scantily clad woman. Also, his intro message was vague. I didn’t feel comfortable inviting him into my home.

Agree with Robert. I’ve had people want to book with a photo that is a song lyric, and I say no. If you won’t put your face out there, I don’t need to trust you to stay in my place.

@EllenN True. Then again, if someone really wants to cheat the system, they will always find a way to do so. Then again, vast majority of honest guests won’t go that far. If you have IB turned ON, I believe a requirement for guests to have a verified government ID on file is an easy way to get some peace of mind. Maybe I was just lucky, but up to now I never ever had any problems with my guests whatsoever.

The vast majority of my guests have been problem free. This guest wasn’t really problematic. He just needed a lot of hand holding as he was not a mature seventeen year old. As I said, he had sent a copy of his passport to Airbnb and somehow still was able to open an account notwithstanding that he was not eighteen years old.