Competition Analysis

Perhaps a controversial topic but do you guys care about competition, and if so, how do you monitor it?

I was speaking to a fellow host in a completely different area to me and we got to speaking about competition. He is in a comparatively smaller area and has noticed more listings coming up lately and has been spending time paying attention to other competing listings and a few of these newer hosts had been undercutting his listings recently. It got me thinking about how I’d not really paid too much attention. Perhaps because hosting isn’t my sole income. I’m curious, does anyone here actively monitor their competition? I can see things like listing numbers, average prices maybe being useful to see what other hosts are up to. Any thoughts?

Like you, I don’t use Airbnb as my sole source of income, and I seem to get as many bookings as I want, and 5* reviews, so there is zero need for me to look at other listings in my town. And while there are thousands of listings in my touristy town, I don’t really have much in the way of competition- what I offer is fairly unique. And this season I had 3 guests who were staying elsewhere in town and moved over here because they found it too noisy or too expensive where they were staying.

2 Likes

Yes, like you I would like to think my offerings are fairly unique but I’m not in a touristy location which I think helps significantly. I can see how it could be more difficult for more touristy locations may lead to competitor monitoring out of necessity, curious to see if anyone does this.

I don’t know how ‘active’ I am but I take a look now and then at listings that either seem competitive with ours and those that seem to be doing very well. By way of background our listing ( 3 bdrm; 1 bath) is in Worcester MA. It could be a tourist destination in my opinion but it just isn’t. People come here to visit family: that’s 90% of our bookings, some at our max of six, mostly 2-4 people (I think our sweet spot is four guests; hotels are a reasonable alternative if you have just two; we’re a little small for six though bookings for six have – surprising to me – said they’re very comfortable). July and August are typically fully booked; we do ‘OK’ in the shoulder season of May-June, Sept-October, with few bookings November through April. [People might not like the cold winters here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:]

The average daily rate here is about $100/night and we’re now at about $200 a night or more in high season. The number of listings has doubled in the last two years, which is slower growth than I’ve read in many other markets. So we’ve been lucky so far. This is meaningful income to us but a side income; we don’t count on it. We don’t use social media.

The listings that seem are doing very well accept children and pets, which we don’t. So we’re not in competition and it’s just a note to myself that if I were in this just for the money then in this market I’d buy a relatively inexpensive place and make it available to children and pets. 3 bedroom, 2 bath would be perfect. BTW, I find it surprising that despite the complaints or mentions of cleanliness issues, unpicked up dog poop in the yard, these listings have many many bookings at above average prices. Their ROI must be very high.

When I look at our competition we have no listings in our city with a pool. There are a few in neighboring communities, at least 15 minutes away but mostly much farther away and usually very different listings, not comparable to ours at all – like more bedrooms, more baths, estate like, much nicer than ours, but much more expensive, like 3X or more the price. My sense is that for most of our guests the pool is ‘nice,’ a ‘plus’ but not really their focus. [BTW, we inherited the pool with the house; it’d be more expensive to remove the 50-year+ old pool (not accessible to large equipment) than to maintain it.]

So then I look at listings similar to ours but without the pool. There are just a handful that look close. A couple are nicer in my opinion: a more walkable location (which I would highly value), a second bathroom (also something I think would be valuable). Some are just bigger, another plus. So, yes, I look at their pricing (which is often a little under ours) and how they present their listing.

I am especially surprised by one listing that is on a lake but then I read a few complaints how the lake is full of some weed that makes it disagreeable, how there is bird crap all over the patio and the place a little musty ], needing some work. It gets mostly 5’s, and the Host responded to one complaint saying that they live in CA and it would cost a fortune to fix everything! That is a stark contrast with how we’ve chosen to maintain our property, but it does reinforce what I’ve suspected: many guests are not willing to pay for the level of maintenance we provide.

As to the competitive listings that I like (I’d stay there but that’s not the test), I try not to be too far ahead in price. But the situation is that once they’re booked we’re the next logical choice for the well informed traveler, and vice versa. And these very comparable listings are fewer than five.

My biggest takeaway is that there are few comparable places, and that if we wanted to boost our bottom line we’d simply spend less money keeping everything looking pristine. Our strategy, though, is to get re-bookings and then get those directly. We don’t get many, which surprises us. Don’t people visit family every year? But of course they might rotate, have too many siblings ( :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) or meet in a third city. Our direct site will be up and running this year and we’ll see if we get rebookings directly (our last guest just told us they want to come back again and again) – but we don’t expect to see it right away. It might be an every third year kind of thing.

So I’ve found it a worthwhile exercise to look at our competition and marketplace. Looking at competitors provokes questions to how we manage and price the listing, which I count a good thing. I share my thinking to expose its simplicity and lack of sophistication, hoping to gain some insights.

1 Like

Hosting is my main source of income. However, I do not monitor ‘the competition’ at all.

I have always preferred to concentrate on my own business rather than what other people are doing.

I’d suggest that you do the same. You can’t alter what other people do, so why even think about them?

3 Likes

I understand the thought process of concentrating on your own business rather than what others do but I think that might be a little short sighted? By monitoring the competition, you learn! Sometimes you learn what not to do but more so you stay current. I’m not talking just price; I’m saying you might find out what is most important to your buyers and this is invaluable! Why go to college if not to learn from what others before you have done and the successes/failures they encountered? I guess the bottom line is for what little time it takes to “take a look” at your competition; I feel worse case scenario is you either confirm what you’re doing is correct or you find a better way to make your business better.

3 Likes

I agree for me. Sometime you learn that there’s nothing to learn from the other listings, which itself is validating.

Some of the Hosts here are just such pro’s and their comparative advantage is themselves – their deep inside knowledge of the area as well as how they interact and maintain and present their property. They’re just at another level, and for them they need neither the validation or learning from looking at other listings. Hosts in those areas are studying them!

2 Likes

Great response and some interesting insights there for a newbie like me. Thanks! Do you have a set routine when it comes to monitoring competition? Or is it more of a sporadic thing for you? Do you use any tools for this? It seems like it may be quite a bit of work to scope out competitors based on various factors (bedrooms, pool, etc.) if you have a lot of competitors?

I am starting to agree! What is your process like for finding competitors? Do you use any tools? Do you follow a routine?

WelcomeMrLuke What do you think will be gained from the research?

I assume that you know what others charge in your area and what they offer, but unless what your airbnb can deliver is the same as the others, then you really cannot compare. Everything from furnishings to the proximity to a gas station factor in…

1 Like

It’s a sporadic thing for me, but I’m also motivated to do it when bookings are slow.

Look at this excellent post by @JJD and read the topic under which it’s posted: “What Pricing Tools Have You Found Helpful?” Her approach is systematic and she does it over coffee!

I use PriceLabs for pricing; their pricing is higher than what we had been doing on our own. I do an intuitive check from time to time to check for reasonableness by looking at prices of my comparative set within Price Labs. BTW, when I look at their prices I also look at how busy they are (of course, I can’t know if blocked dates are bookings but I think I can make reasonable inferences.

Responding to @Rolf’s comment:

True. When I look at a listing that I’ve put in a group as competitive with ours I look at everything, meaning not just the list of amenities but how they describe the listing, the pictures, the captions, the reviews. I compare that to ours.

I mentioned recently here that I was looking at a listing physically close to ours that I had kind of dismissed initially. But when I read the captions that gave me a sense of the Host and a different perspective on the place it suddenly looked far more appealing to me [don’t know how many others would view it the same way] and I kind of filed that ‘Aha’ away when I next review our pictures’ captions and listing language to impart more of the Host’s personality. Sometimes charm can feel more important than ‘hard’ information, or at least put it in a new light.

I have a set of ten neighboring properties, including a hotel, that I believe are my main competitors. About once a month, I look up their listings and note in a spreadsheet if they are booked or not, and what their rates are for unbooked dates. If it’s high season but still months away and most of my competitors are already booked, I might raise my rates.

About once per year, I read their listings and look at their pictures.

But the most interesting thing I learned about my competition is that it’s not just other properties near me. It’s 15 miles away in a different part of the island (we’re in St Lucia). It’s Dominica and Mexico and other tropical places. So I try to sell the vacation itself, not just our property.

1 Like

But as all things are seldom equal, as in different amenities, different location (even if in your area, there’s a difference between at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac and being half a block off a main thoroughfare), number of guests, number of bedrooms and beds, size of kitchen, whether there is a yard and nice gardens, as well as what the reviews say and the ratings, your “buyers” may not be the same as another host’s.

A timely post - I have been doing my own analytics for a while now - not amazing stuff but as I look at the data one starts to get a good feel for the market one’s property is in - the types of client, duration, what offers compete - B&B through to fancy hotels, booking cycles, seasonality cycles - how discounts operate during various seasons. Today I had the opportunity to talk to a hosting site’s (not AirBnB) development team - I was surprised as well - they called me, mainly as I have raised a number of questions (along with suggestions) with them as to what they are doing to help what I call ‘my business’.

We talked about a fair number of items and rather than an essay, here are the topics:

• A host performance dashboard
  • Comparative data for an area one is in - so true like for likes
  • Occupancy v’s stay rates
  • Cost of guest acquisition
  • Own baseline costs along with novel site offerings on say insurance - some do offer it some do not
  • Feedback loops to the main channels - some do not see hosts as that important to them (I explained my analytics to this site and they were slightly taken aback that I was tracking cancellations, duration, margins, impact of channel offers on ‘my business’,repeats, direct bookings and a fair few more)

Plus a lot more topics…

I appreciate that not everyone will be so motivated on this stuff and hence also talked about the ability to expose as much or as little of the data collected (it is pretty well all there is if one looks at what the sites collect) as each host might want to use for their own offering development (host success is their success) - I happen to come from a business background where I ran a large training center with hotel attached, amongst a great many other things in my career before semi-retirement - so this type of thing keeps my brain active.

The other angle was keeping the channels relevant and recognizing that hosts will swap and need a mechanism for feedback - feedback that is listened to and acted upon. One particular site out there acts in a way that one might conclude it does not give (unprintable) about the hosts - it is purely there to maximize its own revenues and hammer down our (host) margins for its own gain - that ultimately will be a self-defeating approach. The other aspect on hammer the host, is that whilst these ‘smart’ pricing offerings seem attractive - it is not until one gets beneath the surface that one realizes that they are simply driving down host margins while we become fodder for a channel optimization - a very one-sided and non-equitable partnership (if it ever was one with many channels).

So to finish, welcome again - and I hope that forums like this can help all of us take as much or as little from what could be done to help us run satisfying and financially worthwhile lettings ventures.

1 Like

I think it’s smart to periodically look at your competition. There are platforms (Beyond Pricing, etc.) that can help with pricing and occupancy of others in your area.
Another reason to look at competition is to get ideas of the listings that stand out. You might be able to improve yours by poaching some ideas of others you find applicable to yours.

1 Like