Communication Problems With Airbnb - Part II

@JJD @casailinglady Ok, you can lay off now :roll_eyes:

I never said that not being proficient with tech is related to age. I know it isn’t. In fact I’ve mentioned that both my dad, at the age of 75, learned that stuff really quickly, and my 90 year old stepmom is a whiz on her smart phone.I happen to be old and I happen not to be much of a techie, but those things are not co-dependent.

I only mentioned somewhere that a host I’m familiar with who says she doesn’t use a smart phone is a millennial, because I read a lot the misconception that old people are tech-challenged while younger people embrace it. I’ve read lots of posts where hosts complain about hosting older guests- that they can’t figure out the electronic lock, or how to work the TV, that they want to communicate by phone calls, rather than using the messaging system.

I was in fact pointing out that using tech is not age-related.

@eileenfeim GREAT JOB! What a simple and ELEGANT way to solve your issue.
IMO, it would be a total waste of time to keep working with Air but do as you like. If the issue IS on their side, they honestly do not care and are very unlikely to fix it. If the issue is somehow related to settings on your phone, you already have a better solution actually - as Air’s APP can be finicky - whereas your exclusive email with text trigger is VERY clever.
I spent 25 years in IT. Sometimes, regardless of “every setting is perfect” tech simply is not. And things sometimes get fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling apps. Your fix is better!

In other words late texts will occur randomly until the cellular service “catches up” with voice, data & text volume.

Thanks for taking the time to so clearly confirm what my settings should be! Yep, that’s exactly my settings.

1 Like

I have an old iPhone 7. Earlier, Annet 3176 attached screen shots of the exact settings. Yes, mine are the same. Yes, I’m using the mail app on it, and that’s where I’m getting the only reliable Airbnb notifications now that I’ve set up a separate email account just for Airbnb.

1 Like

Thanks – and one of my first attempts was to uninstall and then reinstall the app. No luck, though.

If you’re using the mail app on an iPhone, all you have to do to get alerts is to make airbnb a “VIP”. You do that by going to an email that Airbnb has sent you and tap on the Airbnb next to the “From:” in the address bar and it will bring up a window with Airbnb’s email address and then tap on the 2nd line down which is “Add to VIP”.

I believe that the VIP notification has a banner and a sound by default but you can go and check on it. Go to the Settings symbol on your phone and then go down to Notifications and then to Mail and you then you will see “VIP” where you can set whichever sound you’d like and I recommend setting a “persistent” style banner (so it stays on your screen until you clear it).

To set the correct Airbnb email address to VIP, start from an email from Airbnb that is about a reservation, whether it be a message about a request or inquiry or a message from a guest, because those all have the same email address of express@Airbnb.com. And those are the emails that you want to be alerted to. You don’t want to be alerted to their other stupid emails about adding a crib or going to Phoenix.

Did you re-align the phase resonance of the flux capacitor? Often, that does the trick …

4 Likes

Got it, thanks! I got around my problem by relying on email for Airbnb alerts, both visual and audible. I wish I knew why what once worked without any changes on my end (text messages AND Airbnb app messages) has completely stopped working. I also wonder why it is not happening to everyone.