"Common sense" isn't so common: what common sense do your guests lack?

True … I only get to experience it like Robert Frost stopping by the woods on a snowy evening.

2 Likes

I live in it I drive in it and I still like it!

3 Likes

Another example of lacking common sense is the guests I had last evening. There was more than one issue, but will focus on the most obvious thing.
When they (finally) arrived, I had noticed that one of the items they were carrying was a nice brown paper bag…grocery sized, with corded handles.
Well, he came down this morning, holding that bag out in front of him as if it was a baby with a dirty diaper that needed to be changed stating “this needs to go in the trash, the bottom is wet”.
I could see that as it was dripping, thankfully, water.
But ya know, rather than just fold the thing up and put it either the plastic lined garbage pail in either the bedroom or bathroom, he chose to carry it from carpeted bedroom down the carpeted hall, down carpeted stairs, through carpeted living room, to kitchen. Really?
And ya know…I did check him a little before I accepted his request, and he had one review that was positive. After that incident however, I clicked on the person who left the review, and whaddya know? That page does not exist. I think this dude set up a review for himself by making a fake listing, or he had assistance of a friend. I know that sounds ‘out there’, but I really have that feeling, and I’ve learned to listen to my feelings!

1 Like

Nope! But they wanted it early! 7 am! I made a deal to give them breakfast only the first three and last day of their 8 night stay. I’d be in my room working and here them creep upstairs and get out the door by 7:30 or so. Fun.

Now I have a group of three from Germany. Same thing - well, they are having breakfast at 8 - then out the door and not home until after bedtime!

1 Like

I host several rooms in a house where I also live. Here’s my Top Ten (not in any particular order):

1. One lady literally BROKE my sink faucet trying to force it off in the wrong direction, rather than trying the other direction.

2. Several guests have asked me in great frustration and confusion which way to turn the shower faucet to get hot water. Hint: one side says H and is red, and the other side says C and is blue. Also, amazingly, when you turn it in one direction while you’re in the shower, it FEELS cold, and when you turn it the other, it FEELS warm/hot. Wow.

3. A guest filled the shell of my electric rice cooker with rice and water – without the inner bowl – and plugged it in to try to cook rice. So of course, it was permanently destroyed.

4. Guests who drape wet towels on wooden furniture. Yes, I address this in my house rules.

5. Guests who dye or bleach their hair, then wrap it in my towels, and are surprised when I want them to pay to replace the permanently stained/bleached towels. Yes, I address this in my house rules.

6. The guest who dropped the house key into a small hole an electrician had drilled into the outside wall of my house to install a wire, because my instructions say to lock the house and drop the key back inside through the hinged, metal delivery slot in the front door.

7. The guest whose flight landed after my check-in hours, but who arranged for her daughter to check in for her and meet her at the airport with the key, then decided to catch a cab, instead of waiting for her daughter, and was furious that I wasn’t psychic enough to know that I should be waiting at the door for her at midnight.

8. The young prostitute posing as a college student, who inexplicably thought she could get away with operating her business out of my Airbnb.

9. The lady I caught filling up her cooler and grocery bags with the entire contents of my refrigerator and pantry, intended as breakfast for her family and 6 other guests, so that her family could take their friends on a picnic, and who was absolutely shocked and incensed when I said she’d need to put it back so other guests could eat.

10. The guests who told me for weeks that they were too busy to reply with their requested check-in time, and then demanded a specific time on check-in day, and freaked out when I couldn’t meet them at that time.

3 Likes

Number 2 happens in my house all the same. Same situation…go figure.

Number 9…I think I would slap her in my mind. Food from the fridge…unbelievable!

1 Like

So, how you found out she was indeed a prostitute?

How do you know about prostitute?

Somebody wants a story… Actually I’d rather not post it publicly lest it wind up in the wrong place. Suffice to say, there was no room for doubt.

@AmyB what kind of rental do you have, a room in your house?

Interesting. I haven’t entertained any sleazy guests in ages, it is getting boring. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Amy, now that you are in our Bad Guest Lounge, please post it there!

1 Like

Several rooms in my house, where I also live.

1 Like

Just noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3 Likes

Common sense depends a lot on what is common where you live. I had guests from a place where clothes dryers are not used. The language barrier made it take a while to explain that you put the wet clothes in this machine, turn this dial, push the button and half an hour later your clothes are dry. They were amazed.

My complex has the Dumpsters enclosed in wooden fences. The double gate on the front are locked (don’t ask me why), but on one side there is only a half wall so you can step right in. Or, throw it over the top. One guest took his trash out there and had to bring it back in, he was defeated by the locked gate and didn’t think any further.

1 Like

Great stories! But these are more bad guests who don’t read the rules than lacking common sense. Guests can certainly be bad and lack common sense of course but I think some of your guests are just entitled.

1 Like