"Common sense" isn't so common: what common sense do your guests lack?

I would be one of your dumb guests. I don’t know what a hide-away bed even is. But thankfully I don’t drive so the garage door thing wouldn’t be a problem for me. I’m a nice person, well-travelled, willing and open to all kinds of things. But, like anybody in a new country, I need to be told what’s expected. I’m particularly stupid about keys and codes and that sort of thing. Don’t be mad, just explain.

2 Likes

My listing doesn’t state that I offer these things…I only offer them via a handwritten note upon their arrival. The point is, they come here expecting to do such things…swim, sit on beaches, but bring with them no supplies to do so.
Upon meeting them, they are highly intelligent individuals (she is an intern for electrical engineering, he is 2nd year med school). But yet, they wanted to go swimming, yet brought no beach towels. I guess I am old fashioned and the Adirondacks has taught me to be prepared for any possibility, and I like to have my ducks in a row, so I would have brought everything I would have thought I would possibly need. Then again, my car ALWAYS has an overnight bag…toiletries, clean set of weather appropriate weather clothing, including a bathing suit/towel/chair in summer. In the winter, I have the toiletries, appropriate outerwear, spare set of winter clothing, emergency blanket. But again, that’s me…a 53 yr old woman…25 yr olds are often less maintenance!
But hey, these fly-by-nights are providing me extra income. I can always wash the towels and use a fabric softener and then put on line outside to dry.
10 minutes ago, I got another request for someone to stay tomorrow night.
I already have the spare linen set ready to go…so I think I can turn the guest quarters around in an hour if I really hustle. Will slightly interrupt my day at the beach as I was planning…but this is such a small crime free town, I can leave my things at the beach to come home and do the cleaning.
So yeah…maybe I make it too inviting, I will have to think about that for the future.

1 Like

I am a well travelled person but i would probably sleep on your couch. Why bother, if its just me and couch is wide enough. I can sleep anywhere, put me on a floor, i don’t mind. Garage, i could never figure it out. What are the instructions?

Oh my god - I would not be in the ABB business if I got comments like that. I just can’t deal with stupid in general, but combine with entitled and I would pull the plug.

1 Like

I never thought to include instructions on how to use the garage door opener because to me it is as normal as using a house key. Easier, since I often have trouble unlocking new doors. The opener is a remote with just one button. Press it and the door opens. Press it again and the door closes.

I know, it sounds simple but if so many cant get it, does it tell you something?:slight_smile: I am kind of dumb when it comes to any machinery, myhusband always jokes about it. I can never open a door with first try, almost always it takes me forever to figure out how to operate TV. We have a very simple TV. But even the youngest of my guests still suffer with it.

My recent guests damaged pool filter by… wearing their fuzzy socks in a pool. ANd the reason is that they played for hours in a pool and their feet started to hurt. SO, they put the cheapest socks, and eventually those socks from rubbing against concrete bottom of the pool started to shred and clogge filter. COSt:200$.
I filed a claim. They are blaming me that i did not have vinyl lining on a pool but concrete. Talking about common sense

Maybe they did bring beach towels, which stayed nice and clean in their luggage… :smirk:

3 Likes

Common sense is not common, it’s learned.

How about those jokers that mix their dirty dishes in with the clean dishes, when there is an obvious space for dirty dishes. I mean seriously, who does that?

Or folding a soiled/used towel and placing it on top of the remaining clean towels in the closet.

I also don’t understand those with good intentions that make up the bed before their departure. Like make it up perfectly… Do they really think we’re going to just leave their dirty sheets for the next guest?

2 Likes

@Xena just the title of your post had me literally laughing out loud.

For us, it’s guests arriving with no clue about what to do in DC. I even send a small website in advance with travel tips for the basic sites. In my room are travel maps, magazines, books, etc. Still, when I ask at breakfast what they are going to see, they often have blank looks on their faces.

I don’t really mind helping them with their plans - I love DC and love telling people where to go (lol) but it just amazes me that they have spent considerable time and money getting here and don’t have enough sense to google ‘things to do in DC’.

That being said, we just had a family of 5 - they were up and OUT every morning - not home until 11 or so most nights - they were champions! The mom had it all scheduled and worked out.

3 Likes

I have exactly the same happening. I could never understand why they do their beds. They know whats going to happen after they leave, bedding will be washed. And wet towel is just crazy. Once i didnt even realized it was used as they folded it and put on a shelf. I only recognized it when it started to smell

2 Likes

Thats the best guests!

1 Like

Seriously doubt it! I have one paragraph in my listing that says:
WHAT WE DO NOT HAVE:
A tv in every room, cable, laundry facilities, printer, fax.

And yup…they wanted to do laundry (at 11pm they asked this) and they wanted to print off tickets for a chartered boat cruise they are taking today. No, just no.

1 Like

Oh yes, isn’t that crazy? I’ve even found the towels folded and put away - in a remote closet. And yes, sometimes I walk into the room and gasp because it looks exactly the way it did when they checked in. WHY?! I always smile when I check the rooms and the beds are unmade. YES, they are on VACATION!

Guests can’t win with me. If they spend their time in the apartment I wonder why they aren’t making the most of the gorgeous local area. If the’re out all day, I worry that they’re not enjoying the apartment enough :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Right… just thinking… that if it were me and I saw the handwritten note, I’d go, yeah, let’s use her towels. LOL…

For my guests traveling to Hawaii, I know they have nothing with them as they are coming by plane. I provide EVERYTHING for beachgoing in Hawaii… chairs, noodles, mats, umbrella snorkel gear (with signed waiver) and towels… coolers…even surfwear and rash guards… everything!

I’m just thinking… if you’d rather have them use their own stuff, make sure it’s loud and clear in your notes and keep your own stuff stashed and bring out in case they totally forgot and are panicking… KWIM?

When you say beach, I’m picturing a sweet little lakeside beach. Care to share a pic? :smile:

1 Like

What? you aren’t a hotel concierge? :smile:

2 Likes

oh my god… have they never used a pool before???

1 Like

I am sure they did. But they acted kind of surprised that bottom of the pool was concrete. He told me it should be plastic. offered him to do some research on line and see that there are different kind of pools, can be vinyl, ceramic,concrete.Just this pool is concrete. They stayed there for 6-8 hours a day jumping, and playing ball.
And then of course their feet hurt. Then they went to $ store and bought socks that started to shed in a chlorine. It was not just few pieces here and there. It was tones of it. ANd it did not stop them, they put flip flopes on and stayed in a pool anyway. This is how much they loved that pool!!

This is where I’m hanging today, 5 mins from my house

Even if were plastic, their fuzzy sock lint could have still come off in the pool and clogged the filter.
Honestly…it’s amazing the things that people do. Things we never could have dreamed of before ABB. :frowning:

3 Likes