Co-host Accessibility

I have moved guests who suddenly have extras to my other properties with agreeance from the guest after a conversation.
In order to do what you want you need to be the HOST of these other places, not the cohost.
The other side of it is the cancellation process, will there be penalties for guest/ host?

1 Like

The reason Iā€™ve posted here is to see if anyone, who is actually co-hosting, can answer my questions. No, I have not asked Airbnb, I wanted to start here.

I think Iā€™ve made my questions abundantly clear ? Again, Iā€™m not looking to change ANY reservations, only offer an alternative via my profile, so guests can make an educated decision on what they want to do if need be. NO CHANGING OF RESERVATIONS IS INVOLVED.

So, as for this link you speak of, what is this? This is the sort of thing Iā€™ve been trying to suss out of someone. What link would I be adding??

Iā€™ve been co-hosting for 5 years and because I have had a new situation arise, which Iā€™ve never had before. Iā€™m asking this. I donā€™t care how long someone does a particular job, if you are facing a new situation or query, one should be able to ask for help. So, what is this link & how does one add it?

Yes, I understand this, however Iā€™m never the host. I co-host for 7 different people. I would firstly see the details/penalties etc. of the cancellation of original reservation.
Ofcourse.
But, what I donā€™t understand is why I would need to be a host, Why is that necessary. My host would be pleased if they get a reservation. As a co-host,I have access to the calendars & would ask them that a new reservation be made, via the normal process.

And the host that loses the bookingā€¦?
How would they feel about the loss of income/ possible penalty ?

2 Likes

You keep saying this, but ā€œoffering an alternative via my profileā€ is encouraging guests to change their reservation.

In any case, do you not communicate with guests, message with them? Why do you find the notion of messaging guests to say ā€œOkay, well, the number of guests you now want accommodated is too large for this listing you have booked. If you want to see other properties nearby that I also manage, just click on my profile photo in the listing you have bookedā€, to be inadequate?

2 Likes

This is what I already do. Of course I communicate this.

Iā€™m asking if guests already know to click on my profile so that I donā€™t need to tell them. I believe the answer is ā€œnoā€

So, whatā€™s this link of which u speak?

Why? As it so clearly states at the top of every page of this site that we are not affiliated with Airbnb.

ā€œDear guest,
Iā€™m sorry but the rental you booked canā€™t accommodate more than four people as per our business license and our STR insurance. However, we have another property only a mile away which may suit your needs. Hereā€™s a link to the listing.ā€

Please let me know why this is so difficult for you.

In addition to our own two rentals, I co-host for another property. So I donā€™t understand why this is such a problem for you.

For example, one property I co-host has no internet. I ask guests if this is a problem for them and if it is, I send them a link to a rental with good wifi.

Whatā€™s the problem you are having that means you canā€™t do this? If thereā€™s a problem then contact Airbnb. You really need to be a little clearer.

2 Likes

Probably not. You are asking us if other people - that we donā€™t know - know something. We have no way of knowing what those people do or donā€™t know.

Other respondents, such as @jaquo, have given you good advice on how to handle those situations to educate the guests.

But if you educate that guest, they still might not book your property or click on your link. Unless they stayed at one of your properties in the past and lived it and you, there isnā€™t much reason to check out your other listings instead of just looking for a new one.

For instance - a guest that booked decides they need a place that sleeps two people more than the one they booked. You tell them ā€œhey, I have one for $300 a night - click on my linkā€. Since they didnā€™t search for the larger place the first time, they wonā€™t know if your place is good or worth the $300. So even if they look at your place, they may not book it.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m being clear. I know all this, I thought u were recommending a certain link. Itā€™s u thatā€™s not grasping what Iā€™m talking about.

Clearly u donā€™t understand. Itā€™s fine.

As I mentioned, I thought I would begin on the forum first. Big mistake. This forum seems to be full of some bullies, that canā€™t seem to address anything w/o an edge or any sort of bitterness.

Iā€™m done!!
Conversation over!

Airbnb actually allows us to embed a live hyper link to an alternate Airbnb listing. We have two listings, and in the larger one we say something like ā€œIf you are looking for a smaller version of this property ā€“ one fewer bedrooms ā€“ please have a look at our other Airbnb listing at www.airbnb.com/etcā€ and similarly ā€œWe also offer a larger version of this guest suite blah blah www.airbnb.com/blahā€

Thatā€™s interesting- Iā€™ve read the opposite, that when hosts tried to do that, the algorithm blocked it.

I apologize ā€“ I got this mixed up with what the algorithm allowed on the Airbnb message channel. They used to block all web links, but at some point started allowing hosts to share live links to the Airbnb domain. (Handy for referring guests to alternate Airbnb listings AND to Airbnb policy (i.e. 'Your 30 month old child is not considered an infant under Airbnb rulesā€™)

In our LISTING we cross reference our other property by first describing it and then saying:
ā€˜The full Airbnb listing (and reservations link) for our larger property with more beds is located at Airbnb listing 5X3X9X7.ā€™

1 Like

Thank U so much for ur response. I appreciate it :slight_smile: