Cleaning fees or no cleaning fees

Do you all charge a cleaning fee ?

“All” of us don’t do anything the same. :wink:
Or was that a "y’all?

I don’t charge a cleaning fee, but I have a 3 night minimum stay and just a private room/private bathroom listing.

2 Likes

No, but also a small suite and lots of one night stays.

2 Likes

No. My minimum stay is six nights, so I don’t have the same cost differences one would have with one-night and multi-night stays.

2 Likes

I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath with screened in back porch. I charge $100 and just went to $75 . Min 2 night stay

It seems that most of the guest complaints about cleaning fees happen when they are charged a cleaning fee but then also find a pre-check-out list asking them to strip beds and start a load of wash, take the garbage out to the dumpster, sweep the floor, etc.

BTW, there have been other threads on this forum re cleaning fees you might want to look at- try the search function.

1 Like

Yes and no. I charge it but guests don’t realize that they are paying a cleaning fee.

1 Like

I do but I have a whole house rental that sleeps six and it’s a five night min. stay. In the beginning, I didn’t charge a cleaning fee but when I realized how much time and effort it took to clean a house having having six guests for a week, I started charging. To determine how much I simply looked at my competiton and charged the same price.

1 Like

Thank you. I currently charge $100 and it sleeps 6. I lowered it to $75. It takes 2 hours to clean plus laundry and I have to blow off the porch and carport. I want to be fair about the charge too.

2 Likes

Yes I have always had a cleaning fee and it is equivalent to one night’s stay. (For most of the year, about $160).

I have two apartments which are booked year-round and have never had a complaint or even a guest mention the cleaning fee.

2 Likes

Removed my cleaning fees but raised the price of the properties per night.

3 Likes

We pretty much have to - ours is a whole house rental, and we have a cleaner who gets the whole $100 cleaning fee.

2 Likes

Just because you have a cleaner to pay doesn’t necessarily mean you “have to”- it’s sort of dependent on whether the length of bookings you get tend to be similar, or are all over the map. If the majority of your guests stay 3 nights, for instance, you could just add $33 to the nightly rental fee. But if you get some 1 nighters and some 2 weekers, it would be problematic.

1 Like

No! I don’t check into a hotel For the night and then get presented with a bill for cleaning the room as well, it’s ‘all in’.
Build Your cleaning cost into the nightly rate. If it’s not financially viable to let for one night, then limit reservations to 2 or 3 nights to make it affordable for your guests and worthwhile for you.

This misses the point that the amount you add to the nightly rate will vary depending on the number of nights that are booked. We have a neighbor that has a $500 cleaning fee (very large home) and stays that range from 1 night to 14 nights. How do you propose they “add it into the nightly rate” since AirBnB doesn’t currently have the ability to divide the cleaning fee into the number of nights requested)?

2 Likes

Also, one of the reasons I have a cleaning fee equivalent to a one-night stay is to discourage stays of only one night.

However, when I do get a one-night stay, I am being paid double the regular rate which makes the minor inconvenience of such a short stay well worthwhile.

6 Likes

It would be too hard for me to add into the nightly fee I think. Our hotels charge $112 a night and I charge $90 for a 2 bed 2 bath home with screened in porch. I raised price before I get way less bookings so I went back down. I manage it for a friend and clean it myself plus supply all the supplies like toilet paper, trash bags, soap, dish soap, shampoo etc . I have the cleaning fee added to their list of items they are paying for when they book it. I don’t charge it after their stay or anything like that. It’s paid with their booking.

I recently “eliminated” our cleaning fee by setting a 5-day minimum stay and then building cleaning costs into the overall price. I did this in part because I heard speculation that ABB would prioritise listings with no cleaning fee.

I agree with many others here that it’s frustrating to not have a tool to spread out the fee over stays of different length, because what it means is that guests staying 6, 7, or more days are paying more than they really need to. I make it up to longer-stay guests by providing more luxurious amenities and food, and by offering discounts for stays of a week or longer.

One of the things I was hoping would happen when I eliminated the cleaning fee was guests would leave the apartment cleaner. Nope, hasn’t happened! When I used to visibly charge a $150 cleaning fee for weekend stays, some people would leave the place super clean; recently I had a 5-day stay with no cleaning fee (none visible to guests, at least) and they left amounts of food on the floor suggesting that they had just eaten their meals out of their hands while roaming aimlessly around the apartment.

Objectively speaking, it doesn’t make a big difference, because I spend about the same amount of time cleaning whether there’s 2 crumbs or 2000 crumbs on the floor – I still have to dust, vacuum, mop, wash linens, scrub shower stalls, etc. But on an emotional level, it bugs me to enter the apartment and find it a huge mess.

3 Likes

While some guests may leave it cleaner when there’s no cleaning fee, I don’t think that’s a major factor. I host one guest at a time and I’ve always been grateful and impressed by how clean most guests leave their room and bathroom. But most of them are seasoned travelers with several, if not pages of reviews- they like those 5* ratings and “left it so clean” reviews, which mean they get easily accepted right away. And they’ve stayed at so many Airbnbs that have varying expectations that they just clean up as a matter of habit, rather than check exactly what you ask to be done. (Solo seasoned travelers also seem not to spread out so much, keeping things pretty neat and tidy throughout their stay, and because they share my kitchen, they clean up there after every meal they prepare.)

Whereas someone who books a place for a holiday and may be a newbie or haven’t had many stays may have a different attitude and perception.

When it was check-out day for my most recent guest, and I told him not to bother stripping the bed or doing anything really, he said he already had- he works as a travelling chef on fishing charters, private yachts and research boats and said they always have to strip their beds and tidy up their rooms at the end of a trip and he’s just used to doing that.

2 Likes

That’s right even they leave it clean you still have to wipe everything down, sweep, mop and Lysol etc.

3 Likes