Claim on a security deposit for an item not part of the listing?

I took pity on the two young foreign girls that are currently staying with us and told them they could use our bicycles. I stupidly assumed they would ride them into town during the day, cruise around, do whatever and ride them back.

This morning I have discovered that they took the bicycles downtown late last night and left them there. It is now raining, and I’m expecting that if we get our bikes back at all, they may not be in the best of shape and will be in need of repair.

Given the bicycles are not part of our listing, will Airbnb let me file a claim?

1 Like

How is ‘part of the listing’ defined, I mean, not every item you’re providing is listed is it? This was your property offered to an Airbnb guest they damaged or mishandled. I would make a claim right away, and without using any wording such as ‘it wasn’t part of the listing’.
Let us know how it goes.

4 Likes

Not helpful now, but when I loan out water toys, I take a cash deposit which is returned when said items returned intact.

4 Likes

Ah, you poor thing you must be annoyed with yourself. Freaking inconsiderate guests too!!

Cash deposit is the way forward; and I do think even though it’s not officially part of your listing you should try claiming via the resolution centre. Approach it with the attitude it might not be successful and but that you’re going to try anyway.,

5 Likes

And please review them appropriately regardless of any success on reimbursement. Hopefully the bikes are fine.

4 Likes

Why would anyone go out on bikes and leave them there. How bizarre.

I hope you sent them out to retrieve them.

Definitely if damaged or stolen I would claim against the guests.

2 Likes

I would too. Can’t hurt to try… silly stupid girls.
In the future if at all, no bikes to guests!!! It’s a liability too, so you should also have them sign a waiver and provide helmets unless you want to see yourself on the other side of a summons and complaint.

I get accused of being jaded but as the sun rises and sets you can always count on guests doing the idiotic. I mean… mine have lost everything-- coolers, towels, boogie boards (when I provided them) and snorkel gear especially.

I used to provide top line snorkeling gear and tried to warn guests a million ways how to not lost it or they would owe $50 per set. The result? Constant constant loss!!! Plus they would ruin perfectly good fins but walking on the rocks with them (stupid and dangerous-- never put find on until you are about to enter the water)

It was a bane of my existence! I fussed and flounced (thanks for that @zandra) to no avail. Finally, I just took it off my listing. They are on their own now. I’m over it. My son advised me, Mama, for what you charge why are they getting that fancy stuff? Even if they stayed at the Mauna Lani, they would not get that high quality! True!!!

It’s off my listing now never to return. There’s snorkel gear available yes, but no guarantee about sizes or quality.

3 Likes

I do not see an issue claiming, either directly or through the Resolution Center, the issue only really arises if they decline to pay, what AirBnb will do is as usual anybody’s guess.

1 Like

Have you thought about renting the snorkeling gear to your guests + a security deposit? I would think there’s small business in it: I at least have paid for snorkeling gear in the past. You could also have cheap sets for sale. The guests will buy and maybe even leave them behind, after which you can rent them out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Good idea, maybe I’ll try it!

It appears both young ladies met some young gentlemen while out on the town. One of them got a car ride home yesterday morning at around 6:45. I have no idea how or when the other one got home. Not judging, but yes, it would be nice if they could be a bit more responsible with other people’s property.

They have at this point been sent to retrieve the bicycles and promise that they were left in a “safe” place.

So. Did you get them back??

1 Like

Please keep us posted about whether or not they were returned!

2 Likes

@Chloe?

Is anyone else still curious?

2 Likes

Yeah, @Chloe!! Tell us the end of the story.

Sorry for the delay guys!

Our bicycles ended up back in our possession, a little damp, but otherwise apparently no worse for wear.

I chastised the girls and told them I was disappointed in their behavior. They seemed genuinely apologetic, and I could tell the more responsible of the two was mortified about the whole thing.

Given there was basically no harm, no foul, I did not mention it in the review. I honestly think the girls learned their lesson and will be more careful in the future with a host’s property.

Thank you all for your responses and advice! This board has helped me more times than I can count.

4 Likes