Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

City requiring a sprinker system

I rent out a master bedroom in my basement through Airbnb, in Washington state, U.S. When I applied for a business license with my city, I received a call stating that I would need to install a sprinkler system. I wasn’t sure what to say so just listened, too stunned to respond. The next week I received a letter restating the requirements.

I need some advice on how to proceed. I have no experience working with city government and am concerned that I may inadvertently say the wrong thing if I go in and speak with them about this. I know they’re requiring this based on the hotel code as there are no requirements in the municipal code for Airbnb’s and I am the first in this city.

Has anyone else been required to install a sprinkler system? Is it possible that I don’t actually need a business license to run my Airbnb?

Thanks for your help!

Hi @rlhath2,

What city are you located in? Or would you prefer not to say?

I don’t have any actual advice for you, but wouldn’t a competent local professional like an accountant or a lawyer be a better person to talk to about this?

One obvious suggestion: if a bureaucrat tells you something or the other is needed/required, always ask for a reference to the relevant legal documentation.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!