Christmas New Years minimum stays

Christmas this year falls on the Monday, weekend starts Fri 23rd. I’m trying to decide if I should ask for a four day minimum for my whole house, riverside cottage in the woods instead of three days?
New Years is simpler, no Boxing Day Xmas eve, so I’m going to set a 3 day minimum.
What do others with similar listings plan?

I have had guests break up this lucrative week and I lost out so never ever again. I require a one week minimum for both holiday time periods.

If no one books fine. It can sit empty.

But I just got a two week booking for both holiday weeks and am thrilled.

5 Likes

I also require a 1-week minimum, and I give a discount for a 2-week booking so hopefully I don’t have to clean during the holidays.

Mine were set from December 22-29 (or earlier), and 29-Jan 5 (or later).

I turned down lots of people wanting short stays, but eventually got a 16-day booking for the holidays.

1 Like

Can you tell me roughly, how much you increase your rate for this period?

My minimum stay goes from one night to three nights. And I’m way more particular about guests and the dates they book. I don’t want to be doing any check ins on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day!

My rate increases to over double from mid December- mid January and for new year it’s tripled.

1 Like

I raise my rates over the holidays by about 1.5x.

1 Like

Do guests expect a lot more ? I’m hesitant to overcharge and get a negative review. Not in a position to make huge improvements, but open to suggestions.

Do they expect more frills?

I note on our website and in my responses what I do for Christmas (although what they get is more than what I say - i.e. I don’t tell them that I will leave a gift for each person because I may not have time, and it would ruin the surprise).

All reviews for people that have stayed during the holidays indicate that they appreciate the effort and loved staying with us over the holidays. The people staying this year stayed with us 2 years ago. They specifically are staying with us because of their previous experience (a family reunion all flying in from other continents).

If you’re iffy about whether to do anything for the holidays I would suggest asking them if there is something special they would like and you may be able to accommodate it for them at an additional cost.

1 Like

No, they don’t seem to expect more. My pricing still seems to be cheaper than most, or other hosts will have longer minimum stays, so my place is still desirable in that way.

1 Like

I’m having trouble figuring this out, I’m math challenged. If your rate was $100 a night, then would it go to $150?

FYI, my listing is a whole house, cottage in the woods, nothing designer about it, but I have just added a hot tub.

1 Like

Yes. Not only that, my minimum number of nights goes up. The holidays are the most valuable time of the year and I don’t want any of those precious nights to go to waste. I’ll PM you some other tips around this.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m afraid to set price too high or too low.