Chopsticks are required if you check "Dishes and silverware"

If you check dishes and silverware, notice that it does specify that there are chopsticks.

Well, I didn’t have any when a guest checked in… and she asked for a 25% refund because of that.

Now I have multiple sets and went through all the things in the amenities to make sure it’s complete.

It was a good lesson learned.

1 Like

That description of Dishes and Silverware does not mean that chopsticks are “required”, otherwise there would be a complete list of required items, not an “etc”. Otherwise, guests could demand refunds based on whatever they perceived as “etc”.

You do seem to get a large share of bad guests.

3 Likes

I host many guests due to one night and two night stays… I would stay < 5% are troublesome. 95% or more are understanding and rarely a pain.

1 Like

I think if they’re that precious about needing something, they should inquire, dont you agree?
I get quite few Asians who possibly use chopsticks and I’ll leave some from now on. They havent seemed bothered by the lack so far.

2 Likes

Did you give 25% refund?
How long was her stay?

Two night stay. I did not give her any refund. I just apologized for the oversight. I got her the chopsticks the day after her check in.

Review period is not over yet and she has not written a review yet.

I got a nasty review from a foreign guest because I did not have chopsticks.
Every listing now has 2 sizes of chopsticks and an asian dinner set and rice cooker.
These guests also complained that my town didn’t have Uber (we do have Taxis) ……:man_shrugging:

1 Like

The rice cooker seems to be a winner. I have one plus other gadgets. I recently added a portable induction cooktop and overhead exhaust fan that many guests have liked.

1 Like

I can understand that if one is accustomed to eating with chopsticks that it would be nice to have them, but for a guest to leave a bad review over it, or ask for a refund is bizarre.

I can also understand that in countries where chopsticks are the common and traditional form of eating utensils, that the lack of them would constitute a missing amenity, but if you are in a country where people commonly use flatware, complaining that there aren’t any chopsticks seems out-of-line. I wouldn’t go to China and complain that there were no forks available.

4 Likes

Yes, it depends on where you are and what sort of guests you host. In the many years I’ve been hosting I’ve never been asked for them and never (as far as I know) hosted anyone from a country where the use of chopsticks is commonplace.

I would have thought that anyone who is adept with chopsticks can easily manage a fork anyway.

Perhaps an Airbnb “experience”, teaching people to use a fork is in order. :wink:

Of course, then you wouldn’t have an excuse for demanding a partial refund. Maybe “no chopsticks” is trending now on the “How to get a free Airbnb stay” blogs. “Hey guys, seems like the bringing a dead cockroach in a baggie, putting it on the bed and taking a photo is a scam hosts are now hip to. A lot of hosts take photos right before check-in, so we now recommend demanding refunds if there aren’t any chopsticks or egg slicers.”

3 Likes

I have a little kitchen in my apartment with a two burner stove, an inbuilt overhead exhaust and a microwave. Occasionally I have observed guests who had done a fry up as the often leave eggs and bacon in the fridge after they depart. Eggs I will take home but the bacon goes in the trash :slight_smile:

I’m just waiting now for some host to report that a guest demanded a partial refund because “It said silverware was provided, but it wasn’t real silver”.

3 Likes

An Americanism I have heard is ‘plastic silverware’ - always makes me chuckle. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like “plant-based meat”.

1 Like

Same here, i throw out a lot of foodstuff like that and half full jars of condiments etc etc

They could always carry their preferred pair too.

1 Like

Agree 100%! I can’t even believe the guest made a big deal about it…they should carry their own if they’re that important! Geez!!

I put a little QR code for my Venmo in my units that says “Hey, did I miss something? If it’s less than $10, go buy it, send a picture of the receipt over the messaging app, and request a payment over my Venmo”. No one has ever used it but I’ve had lots of compliments that I have it there.

1 Like