Child free spaces

Hya guys, so my sister and I are planning on expanding our Airbnb mini empire (we have one house where 3 of the rooms are guest suites) and buy a farm or house with an acre or 2 and put a couple or 3 glamping pods on it. Possibly allow camping but not sure on that bit yet.

My question is, we do not want children or teens on the property, this is for personal reasons and we want to offer an adult only space. Are we allowed to put such a restriction on our place? I know there are over 55 places but thats not what we want to do. We are also planning to do a small (150 ppl) music festie once a year where we defo do not want any kids.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome :slight_smile:

Edit. I am in the UK

1 Like

I believe that Airbnb will allow it but don’t expect the company to filter out guests who will try to book. Guests don’t read much so be sure to mention the restriction early in your description and repeat it in your confirmation message. Then if someone brings kids you have your policy in writing. I have age restrictions because I have a very old house and it is a home share. People argue with me about how well behaved and trouble free their kids are when requesting exceptions.

I don’t know where you are but some states have discrimination laws regarding not renting to children. That may or may not apply to STRs depending on the wording. I would research this.

Your insurance company may have concerns as well. The company that I write with does not allow students. I have no idea how they expect to monitor that but I rarely make exceptions to it.

Here in the US I do not allow guests under 18 and I’ve never had issues. My second floor suite is not safe for kids and they make too much noise (I live below.) The one time someone snuck in a kid I immediately informed them that they could take the kid somewhere else or leave. They left and came back two days later for one night. I was not comfortable with these guests.

Anyway I require full name address and age of all guests staying in the suite so when I see an age that is not ok, I inform them that they have to cancel. I request the info. within 48 hours so that they won’t lose any money. In the use they do give you the option to omit kids of different age groups. I just check off no to all of them.

Have some animals that will allow you to keep kids out.

3 Likes

Aha! We have several dogs between us, so that may be a good option

1 Like

Make sure the pods only accommodate 2. You can state not safe for children. The teens part gets harder because what would be unsafe for small kids doesn’t really apply to kids old enough to get jobs, have kids of their own, drive cars, etc. If you exaggerate the danger (say, from dogs) to keep kids away you may also keep some adults away. No matter what you do or say you will probably get some requests. I have a small ensuite room (210 sf) and once had a request from a couple with kids and dogs and they offered to bring their own air mattresses. I literally don’t know where they would put everyone and I told them so. I suggested they go to a hotel that accepted pets and they acted like they hadn’t even thought of that!

1 Like

In the US, if it’s STR, then the only place that I’ve been able to dig up that prohibits age discrimination for STR is MA and that is only for 18+ so even there it is fine to prohibit children. I have no idea what the laws are in the UK but there are several UK hosts on here. @Helsi ?

Airbnb’s stance on it is that you can prohibit someone based on age “where it is not prohibited by law”, so you’ll want to know the laws about it in your local area. Keep in mind that STR may likely be under different laws than your regular housing laws, but it may not be too.

I don’t allow children under 12.
Just had a RTB from a guest who could not IB.
His request was for 4 adults, staying at my tiny house that sleeps 5.
I now ask everyone if their group has children.
His response was that he had 3 children-12,5 and 21/2 and they were coming.
Tiny house with 4 adults 3 Children in insufficient beds….
He goes on to say that they would look after the children and it was none of my business……
I then look at his only review. It showed as 21/2 :star: A gutless host who gave him 1 :star: for cleanliness and low rating for every thing else, but no mention in the written review.
NOPE!

2 Likes

I hope you told him that it is actually and in fact your business and as such you have the right to set the rules and refuse service.

OMG he needs a warning label!

2 Likes

It’s a tiny house!
Have a look at Azile in Grafton, Australia.
The kitchen is very small.
The stairs are very steep.
It was the entitled attitude that really got me out of shape.

As an experiment I reported him to CSR, just to see what the process was.
The response was was his request was inappropriate and that his account was now marked and if he did it again he may be removed from the platform…… not that I believe this would happen…. But should a guest with 2.5 :star: remain on the platform, when hosts are held to such high KPI’s?

4 Likes

OMG. What is wrong with people? And I shudder to think what attitudes he’s instilling in those kids. He’s no doubt raising a new generation of Airbnb guests that will make the entitled guests of today seem like angels in comparison.

1 Like