Check in times ignored

I host in my home and am a single lady, so security is paramount. I only accept people with photos and references clearly stated on the listing.

My listing clearly states check-in times 2 pm - 8 pm. Also, the information is required before i will accept a booking. I always reiterate this to them in the message when I take their booking check-in between 2 pm - 8 pm.

One guest told me on the day; he would e checking in at 10 45 pm. I contacted Airbnb and said I would not accommodate this late check-in. The male guest said he would book into a hotel for the night but wanted his male friend to stay as he could arrive before 8 pm.
What’s the point in having clear security guidelines when a guest thinks an unknown male can check in without a reference or profile.
I found the whole experience unsettling and that the rules of staying in my home were of little concern to them.

2 Likes

I do have it in my rules that the person on the reservation must be the first person to check in. This prevents 3rd party bookings. Airbnb really does’t support your own rules but since 3rd party bookings are against their rules, you could probably explain that this is in essence a third-party booking.

As for check in times, that’s becoming an issue for me too. I go to bed early and while my STR is self-check in I don’t really sleep well until I know the guest arrives and can access their STR on the check in day. Guest just ignore my check in times too.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for the tip. I have now added to my listing “the person on the reservation must be the first person to check in.”
This year, I am seeing an increase in the number of people asking for a booking who don’t meet my criteria. Under the listing basics, I have placed the essential information guests need to supply to book
The website does not make it easy for the potential guest to find this essential information.
So as soon as they look at the photos they see the key booking criteria.
Thanks again Fiona