Charging a fee for a service dog?

In NZ they’re called either assistance dogs (usually guide dogs or for other medical assistance) or service dogs (usually referring to sniffer dogs, drug detection etc). Guide dogs (for the blind) are the most common but I also know trainers that train dogs for diabetes, epilepsy and cancer detection. There are even dogs trained to detect Kauri dieback disease!
Dogs are the best

2 Likes

In the UK assistance dogs are clearly identifiable as they have a harness, organisation specific coat, id tag on their collar or lead slip they wear.

They assist and support their owners by carrying out tasks which are specifically tailored to their needs such as opening doors and picking up objects.

They can help with autism and seizure alerts.

Hi everyone,

After I waived the pet cleaning fee for this guest she disregarded my house rules and allowed her service dog to climb on the bed and white sofas and left black dog hairs all over the house. I called Airbnb and they said that because she violated the rules I can file a request for a cleaning fee. They said that I cannot deny a guest the right to bring a service animal to the house, but I can charge a pet cleaning fee. They just suggested I call it an animal cleaning fee and not a pet fee since it is not technically a pet. The cleaning fee part is most important.

5 Likes

I am glad Airbnb are backing you on this.

Please leave an honest review and say you were disappointed to see that the guest who insisted you waive the additional cleaning fee for animals, then proceeded to let their dog climb all over your sofas and the bed contrary to your house rules leaving dark dog hairs everywhere.

5 Likes

I’m trying to figure out a way to say that this guest was a very high maintenance guest on the review without flat out saying it. Because technically she didn’t do anything wrong, but she literally called and texted me for 3 days straight asking me every possible question (telling me she wished my house had a tub, and do I have any other properties with tubs and could she just go use the tub for a small fee because she really needed a soak, and maybe she should just rent that place but maybe not because she didn’t want to move her stuff but then again she really wanted a bath and what do I think she should do, and she was interested in buying a place in this neighborhood and do I know of anyplace for sale, and maybe I could help her run an airbnb someday, and can she have a late checkout…). She was also quite kind and said many times how much she loved the house but she paid my rock bottom low season rate and texted me constantly for 3 days straight.

3 Likes

She really sounds like an entitled kook and obviously was not a match for your place. It’s too bad you didn’t just use that as a reason for denying her. I would have surmised that after the first series of her off-the-wall questions and requests but I’m glad you’re getting your cleaning fee…which was all you really wanted.

3 Likes

How about something like

Although XXX was kind, I found myself somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of support she needed and questions she needed answered every day.

In addition after insisting I not charge my customary cleaning fee for animals, she broke my house rules about not having animals on my sofas or on my beds resulting in my having to bring in professional help to remove the animal hair.

Unfortunately in the circumstances I cannot reccomend her as a guest.

4 Likes

Community Center Home
All Discussion Rooms
Home Sharing Clubs
Cities
Help
Host Voice
Blog
Stories
Host Newsletter
Meet Ups
All Activity

Help
Service Dogs…beware
Show original thread
104 Replies
1 … 5 6 7
Nancy E
Nancy E in Fairfax, VA
Level 4
‎07-07-2017 05:53 PM
Merritt, We’ve had the same experiences. Almost everybody I encounter that doesn’t want a dog on their property - first thing out of their mouth is “allergies”. I sure wish I could give my daughter some Benadryl and her disability would magically disappear for a number of hours. We have an exceptionally well-trained service dog that does balance work for my youngest daughter. I finally stopped telling anyone we will arrive with a service dog. Sometimes they are nasty and others they are ok with it. But when we leave a place it is always in better shape than when we arrived and my daughter’s service dog always wins over the host. Not only is he intelligent and beautiful but they would never know he was even there.

Judy
Judy in Brant, Canada
Level 6
‎07-08-2017 03:27 AM
I liked your post. If someone arrived at our accommodations with a “true service dog” and it was obvious of his/her importance to that person, I would probablyl not be able to say anything and would welcome that situation. My issue is with those people who try to try to pass off a family pet as a service dog…especially when they are not well trained or clean!

Nancy E
Nancy E in Fairfax, VA
Level 4
‎07-08-2017 10:09 AM
Those who use and depend on service dogs (giving them more independence) are as angry at those “fakers” & their pets impersonating service dogs as everyone else - actually more so. When someone fakes a disability and lies about a pet being a service dog it makes it that much harder for those who need their dogs. One thing hosts can do is strike up a conversation at the time of booking and ask about how the dog was trained out of interest. Most people with service dogs are so willing to educate the public as long as the its interest and not confrontation. Just as an example, we are required to use flea / tick and heartworm meds monthly and the organization that placed my daughter’s dog with her requires proof from our vet. We are required to recertify her dog annually including a physical from the vet, letter from the vet and references from therapists or others who have seen them work together in public. If we don’t provide this to their specification, they take the dog back.

It is not an easy job to care for a service dog either - we have to be careful about food - certain rules and continuous training. We cannot go to dog parks and we usually steer clear of places where there are other dogs as her dog is not allowed to socialize. Once we had an incident where a dog was let off leash and attacked my daughter’s dog. I had to get between as her dog just allowed the other dog to attack without defense as he is trained this way. We have to have him groomed (and always have a professional groom him before we take a trip). It costs us about $1500 annually for the basics and that is with no medical issues or need to buy new equipment. The cost to raise, train and place a service dog is around $22 to 25K - so you bet we are particular about care.

I absolutely loathe people who buy those fake credentials. It’s hard enough to travel with my daughter and to accommodate her needs on the road just so we can vacation as a family but to have someone so selfish, ignorant and inconsiderate as to fake or lie about a disability and bring an untrained pet just because they can get away with it is reprehensible and deplorable.

My daughter’s first service dog is retired. Although we “could” vest him and take him along and lie about his status and no one would ever know because even at 12 he is still extremely well-trained. We don’t because we have scruples and morals.

My two cents for what it’s worth

Clare
Clare in Templeton, CA
Level 10
‎07-08-2017 10:17 AM
@Nancy E Thank you for your two cents…they are very much appreciated! It is good to know this information from a person who has a real service dog. I’ve always been leery of asking too many questions, but you have given me some confidence so I know how to weed out the fakes from the real thing!

Judy
Judy in Brant, Canada
Level 6
‎07-09-2017 03:57 AM
I am pleased that you posted your position. The guest we had with a “fake service dog” allowed her dog to play frisbie on the Bowling Greens (neighbouring club). I was so embarrassed that she thought it to be ok for the dog to run an play at this private club even though there were signs asking ‘people’ to stay off the greens…let alone letting the dog go out and play. Our guests just did not do anything to hide that the dog was not a service animal. There was NO grooming either and my vacuum was jammed every time even though the owner said they would take care of this daily. At every level, this booking was just wrong…and it cost me $3,000 at the end of their ‘bad’ stay. It’s people like this that cause anxiety for people like you. I have no problem with people and service pets if it is legitamate, however one bad guest can ruin it for those who need. Unfortunately it is sometimes a necessity to just say no.

Heather
Heather in Juneau, AK
Level 3
‎07-11-2017 08:06 PM
This was exactly my concern, Nancy. I think this person really felt he needed his dog but didn’t have the opportunity to get a real certification or simply didn’t want to (I don’t know either way). It really bugged me that this was one of those certificate mills and I don’t like the idea that anyone might have thought they were pulling one over on me. I REALLY wanted to point out that I knew the certificate was a fake but I didn’t want to upset my guests and in the end they were beyond wonderful. I am still peeved at the woman that reserved the place on their behalf, though.

Heather
Heather in Juneau, AK
Level 3
‎07-11-2017 08:01 PM
I hear your frustration, Merritt. On the flip side, those traveling with service animals should have a duty to communicate with their host and choose the place appropriately. I discourage unruly children as much as unruly animals because in part my entire place is furnished in white linens and simply not set up for either. However, I communicate this to people with children (and I would if given the chance with someone with a service animal) and try to work it out before the reservation is made.

Nancy E
Nancy E in Fairfax, VA
Level 4
‎07-12-2017 12:10 PM
People with genuine dogs do not have unruly animals. People who have service dogs have no duty to the host except that of any other guest without a disability. Maybe renting to the public isn’t necessarily a good fit for some hosts. The discussion her has reinforced the idea not to let hosts know we are traveling with a service animal.

Clare
Clare in Templeton, CA
Level 10
‎07-07-2017 05:12 PM
@Alex Yeah, this is a really tough situation. I would have a hard time seeing how you could get in trouble denying a guest with a service dog since you have allergies that you could obviously prove if it came to be an issue. I would decline all guests with dogs, service or not since your health is at stake.

I would suggest that you put in your House Rules that you are severely allergic to any kind of animal fur and that you are very sorry that you would have to decline any request to bring a pet. I wouldn’t specify service dogs. You can explain that on a case by case basis to guests that inquire or make a booking request.

I’m not a lawyer, but that’s how I would approach this issue.

Nancy E
Nancy E in Fairfax, VA
Level 4
‎07-07-2017 05:45 PM
Service dogs are considered medical equipment in the United States. Most Allergies do not rise to the level of disability. Many people use allergies as a way to “try” and get-around the ADA (Americians with Disabilities Act) This has been tested already in court and again, most allergies don’t rise to the level of disability. If an allergy is so severe it sends a person to the hospital when an animal is present then I would suggest this is the wrong business. There are animals and animal hair everywhere. If a person has that severe a reaction then the clothes of a person who have animals would give the same reaction that an animal present would induce.

Judy
Judy in Brant, Canada
Level 6
‎07-08-2017 03:42 AM
I agree with the allergie issue. We ended up with flea infestation from one guest who’s animal’s fleas tagged along. What a mess we ended up with within an extremely short period of time. Fleas breed quickly and if there isnt an animal host for them to attach to, they will grab “people ankles”. So saying that, I have also seen guests arrive with fleece sweaters coated with cat and/or dog hair. Some people just dont realize how noticable it can be. A couple of weeks past I had a guest who arrived and spelt like she had literally just stepped out of a kittie litter box. Turned out she was a cat breeder. If only she could smell what we smell! BTW the only guests who make an issue about allergies are those who actually see my cats (and obviously dont like them). I usually keep them behind closed doors and away from the guests. We have a “carriage house suite” that is totally separate wing of the manor and has it’s own heating/cooling/water systems. Our two Siamese Cats are not allowed near the guests or in this area even though some guests will discover them when they sneak outside. …And yes these are outdoor cats…trained that way because over the years there are guests who go wondering and inevitably let the animals out. I love the statement, “Oh you have cat’s…so sorry…are they allowed out?”. By then, two cats are outside and out of sight.

Merritt
Merritt in Spring Hill, FL
Level 2
‎07-07-2017 04:04 PM
The problem is that the law allows people to self train dogs as service dogs. After getting a progam dog, frankly, I’m doing that next time. I didn’t really know everything I needed until getting the dog and thus ended up training him myself for many of the tasks. Plus, the types of commands used just didn’t make sense so I needed to train myself to use words I wouldn’t naturally use because they were things he knew. So, while the idea of “showing documentation” is a good one, it’s not a solution that is possible because of the self-trainers out there.

Judy
Judy in Brant, Canada
Level 6
‎07-07-2017 04:26 PM
Unfortunately in Ontario and perhaps all of Canada there is no way to prove that you need or have a registered service animal. Im sure some people have proof of somekind, but there is no law to suggests carrying verification. Service animals have many different tasks. Some people need their service dog just as company so they do not suffer panic attacks. I understand the need and just need to have the truth in front of me to understand. However, if this animal is not trained or just self trained, I should have some rights to yea or nea expecially if there is an allergy issue in the home. There are hotels that just flat out will not take animals for any reason because they dont want the inconvience of having to shampoo carpets or clean airvents. The “service dog police” are not going to come knocking just because of an isolated incident unless it is an excuss to serve a fine as a cash grab. BTW There are many hotels available that do take animals. I have a friend that travels with two standard poodles from California to Northern Ontario every year. She has never had a problem finding animal friends accommodations on her route.

"

Michael
Michael in Hot Springs, AR
Level 1
‎10-12-2017 08:00 PM
From what I can tell, if you are allergic to the dog it poses a threat to health and safety and thus you can ask them to board it elsewhere. Just like they don’t need papers to prove it is a service dog, you don’t need papers to prove that you’re allergic to dogs. If it is an obvious fake (they leave it all the time while out, it barks constantly) fight fire with fire.

Steven
Steven in Charlotte, NC
Level 2
15m ago
I get it. I totally do. I have a Srevice Animal. I am reading the original post up here and I am cringing, cringing in disgust. I need my service dog. People like the ones you describe make it so difficult.

I don’t know what Airbnb policy is, but I sure as heck hope that Airbnb allows you as a host the same protections under the ADA that service dog handlers have.

That dog needed to be out the moment it wasn’t under control. Period. The ADA states very clearly the dog must be under control. Whether in someone’s home or a business establishment Tiger is not allowed on the furniture. Tiger i cannot be left alone. The ADA also clearly states that you may ask and the handler must comply and tell you what tasks the dog performs. I belong to a small group of service Dog Handlers here in North Carolina. We have been conducting an informal ongoing test. When we see someone with an animal that is clearly not a service animal, an obvious phony, we have found that inwell over two-thirds of the time the Handler either can’t answer the question or says something that doesn’t qualify.

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating this is.

I am lucky. I live in North Carolina. North Carolina will register and license a service dog. It is voluntary. But it is for Real. This is not a phony piece of paper you get on the internet. This is a license issued by the state of North Carolina.
Sadly, North Carolina has even broader laws protecting the animal Handler well affording someone in a host position no additional protections.

Even so, that is not the point. That is not why I’m here in this form.

I would also like to point out to anybody who travels with a service dog my thoughts on an Airbnb. Also, my feeling is the same with an Uber or Lyft. An Airbnb someone’s home. It is not a hotel. An Uber or Lyft is someone’s car. Can we not be considerate? Do I legally have to ask a host if I can bring my dog? No! But that having been said, these folks might have a child who’s allergic to dogs. What about that child’s rights?They may have cats. Or, hey, they may have had horrid horrid horrid experiences with service dogs. I have found itI found that with a little creativity I can ask an Airbnb host if my service dog is okay without making them cross/be against/not abide by ADA standards. I do the same with Uber or Lyft. I can tell when somebody is not comfortable the moment I open the door. In each case I explain Tiger Is For Real and thus there is Comfort on both ends. Do I have to do this? Heck no. But I have manners.

Once again to host. YOU HAVE PROTECTIONS UNDER THE ADA. Avail yourself of them PLEASE.

I was talking to a friend while I was writing this. She asked a question I don’t have the answer to. Perhaps you and can share it. I would hope legitimate service dog owners would find some way to ask the questions that I do before I book. Again, I’m talking about legitimate service dogs. You can tell the dogs legitimate within two or three minutes.

My question is do you get any for warning from people who have legitimate service animals… Or worded differently, what percentage of the time do you get advanced warning?

If the guest provides a letter from a Psychologist that is dated within the year, then I wouldn’t think you can charge for the animal.

If not, then it is not truly an emotional support animal.

That was the requirement that the airlines use.

“Service” dogs on furniture is a big clue they’re not service dogs. I’m glad AirBnB backed you up.

1 Like

How did this go over with the guest? Did they pay the fee. I have a rental cabin and have the same problem. The dogs went on the beds and had hair all over them. Had to take off quilts and wash multiple times. Management company said we can’t charge them an additional cleaning fee. If you post that the house rules are no animals on the beds or couch are you covered then? Do you know of any legal team working on this to get this idiotic rule changed.

I don’t know anything about service dogs, but are they not suppose to be on beds and furniture. Are they suppose to be sleeping with their owner? What kind of rules can you have regarding where the dogs can and can not go?

I would have a look at guidance given in your country by your government or guide dog charity as they will have expertise in this area. Or ask your airbnb management company? @daveanthes

Airlines are not subject to the Ada. While an airline can ask for papers, an Airbnb host cannot ask for any type of paper documentation. The Ada does not allow you to do so. However, personally, as someone who travels with a service dog I am always happy to offer a copy of my service animals North Carolina ID. I also have other papers that will help ease my hosts concern. I want to feel comfortable in your home. I believe the majority of service animal owners feel the same way I do. Assuming, and this is a very big assuming here to all host who are reading this, that we are treated well when we meet you. It is a two-way street. You cannot charge any fees for the service dog. Personally, I always leave at 10 or $20 bill on my way out. For me it’s a common courtesy

2 Likes

Hi@Smitty4616

What made you decide to join a forum for hosts? Are you a host? Where do you host?

Do remember this is an international so please don’t assume we are all governed by US legislation including the ADA.

My daughter hosts. I assist at times. However, to be honest, while I derive information from this forum that helps me assist my daughter, I also gain knowledge that helps me to be a better guest. I am a well Mannered and considerate person. Even so, I have learned several things that I did not consider until reading some of the posts here.
As for service dogs thank you for pointing that out. Even in the United States the rules vary from state to state.

2 Likes

Sounds like your daughter would benefit from joining here, as it is her rather than yourself , who is the host @Smitty4516.

Airbnb Community is a better forum for you if you want to know about guest related issues.

None of that Federal or State law matters. AirBnBs policy is what matters here. They consider BOTH Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals (Fake or not, because you can’t ask for proof.) to be Assistance Animals and as such you must accept them, even if your listing states no Pets. AND you cannot charge an extra fee of any kind because someone brings an Assistance Animal, even if your normal policy is to allow Pets with an extra fee, you can’t charge that fee in this case.

Get this wrong and AirBnB can fine you, take away your SuperHost status, boot you from the platform etc.

goto:www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

2 Likes

You are not allowed to charge an extra fee for Service Animals and on AirBnB although you can charge an extra Pet fee or Pet cleaning fee, you cannot charge those extra fees for Assistance Animals (which include Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals (fake or not, since you can’t ask for proof) . Management company is incorrect however because you can charge extra cleaning fees if they (their animal) leave a mess behind, just like any other extra cleaning fees if they do anything out of the ordinary requiring more cleaning. You just cannot charge an upfront fee like other animals and obviously can’t charge retroactively either unless you have documented proof of the extra cleaning required.

2 Likes