Charge for Nespresso pods

Yes I agree with you here @lawre and that is the sort of thing that I was considering. It is fair to both the host and the guest. It puts a value on quality. Non coffee drinkers aren’t paying for coffee drinkers and coffee drinkers can indulge themselves as much as they like without having to comply to a quota.

In the real world however the logic is often lost in translation, as we can see from some of the responses from hosts here on the forum. If they were our guests they would be marking us down in their reviews for taking this approach.

1 Like

I have a 5 br and provide a “provisioning list” before they arrive.
So yes it says Nespresso available upon request, and they bring their own capsules.
PS I was a Nespresso demonstrator for years, so dont “get me started” on the nespresso brand capsules vs the imitations. I know the brand very well, and the costs of the real product, and the advantages.
If they dont want to bring their capsules, the Keurig and the regular drip are also available. And we only provide a handful of pods for the Keurig…again they must buy their own…but they are easy to purchase anywhere, and nespresso capsules are harder to locate.
Yes - it is a business.

1 Like

nobody has ever marked me down for providing a nespresso machine upon request, but not supplying capsules.

1 Like

It stands for Toilet Paper. TP = Toilet Paper. Hope I am over 20 characters now. jeez.

Fascinating. I would love to “get you started” on the branded product versus the imitation even if you could just disclose in this ‘secret’ forum :wink: if the quality of the imitations is similar.

1 Like

What … you don’t charge by the metre or yard @Carl_P?

In my opionion, a lot of the imitations are yucky… but so much more economical.

can you offer a cheaper form of coffee for free? I think it is a bit tacky , but my 2 cents. We provide free keurig coffee. But you can always try payment, Just got back from the Bahamas and they were selling truckloads of $10 bud lights. So if the market will accept it you can try.

I got a Keurig at an auction. I got refillable pods at Wal Mart. Nobody uses it. They like their own coffee pot, or my French press.

Brats.

1 Like

They finally appeared at the IGA I shop at San Remo and I bought ten packets so the owners would keep stocking them which they have. I don’t charge for them and no one has taken the 2 or 3 packets I leave under the machine.

They work out about AUD50c each (USD30c) so happy to provide Nespresso PODS for free. (I hope that hasn’t triggered you by using the incorrect term).

1 Like

I leave 2 sleeves of Nespresso capsules (20 capsules) for guests and I offer more if they are staying longer than a week. Not all guests drink them, some prefer tea which I also provide. I really don’t like the idea of charging guests for extras, it might be easier for you to just put the price up a bit to cover the cost of the capsules

You can incorporate the cost of coffee in your stay. I also count every penny, but I don’t want to look cheap to my guests. I find ways of providing more . For example I always leave guests shampoos, hair conditioner, body lotions, laundry detergent, hot drinks unlimited. I buy big bottles in dollar store and it costs me no more than 50 cents per couple per night. I don’t provide breakfast but sometimes not always but buy pastries or cakes on sale, or fruits and offer them.
When it’s high season and they pay crazy money for a room to soften a blow I boil eggs, buy nice bread , jam and butter and fruits are always on a table.
But believe me I know exactly how much it costs me per guest all.these goodies.
When I get 100$ or more per room to spend 3-4$ for their breakfast seem like a good idea.

Although the Nespresso machines can sometimes be in and of themselves excellent, and deliver the right water temp to make a great cup of coffee, the real reason to buy and drink Nespresso is also because of their ( rather expensive ) branded capsules.
The quality control and commitment to coffee production, and cultural sustainability is in the coffee selection , location selection, and activities.
Here are 2 media explanations.

1. Is nespresso, and also scroll to the bottom and click the other links on the page. Two media produced Nespresso explanations -
    https://www.nespresso.com/pro/at/en/pages/nachhaltigkeit
    and
    https://www.nespresso.com/positive/se/en#!/sustainability
    and
    https://www.nestle-nespresso.com/newsandfeatures/nespresso-aaa-sustainable-quality-tm-program-a-triple-win-collaboration-between-nespresso-and-the-rainforest-alliance
  2. Is an unbiased opinion. It is essential to read the entire article to hear the balanced judgement.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/may/27/nespresso-sustainability-transparency-recycling-coffee-pods-values-aluminum
1 Like

You are more than welcome to call a Capsule a POD.
If you choose to say the wrong thing or label a product incorrectly, that is your personal choice and has less than zero impact on me.
I can speak, but I have no power to deliver the information to a source.
Call a nespresso capsule anything you wish without any further comment or thought from or to me.

1 Like

Thank you @georgygirlofairbnb … sometimes, no always, I am surprised at the depth of insight that hosts like you contribute. Thank you.

1 Like

This is interesting and I sort of understand where you’re coming from. Is it the AirBnB culture or what used to be the AirBnB culture that informs this view.

In almost every other buying experience we are offered more for more money. The flight we booked to get to the host destination tortured us with options for more money after we engaged in the payment process. Yet we probably appreciated being offered the option of more leg room or being able to choose our own seat.

It’s not a AIrBnB cultural thing - it’s the choice of each host.

However, with AirBnB continually pushing us to lower prices, it can be hard to include the extras in the rates they want us to charge. So hosts that actually understand their costs have to get creative and come up with these ideas. Either that, or we completely ignore the price suggestions and do what we want.

Most hosts do ignore their price suggestions

1 Like

Yes, however for amusement I do look at them. So, for the next four nights I can host you for the wonderful sum of €19 per night, if I listened to Airbnb. Don’t think so…

JF