Change to ability to claim damages for smoking?

How did this happen? You were face-to-face to them told them to stop smoking? And, is it in your house rules?

Yes it’s in my house rules. I told them to stop smoking inside the house, they told me they should be able to smoke in the house anyway at the same time they denied smoking in the house. I found empty cigarette cartoons in their trashcan in their room, cigarette butts, a professional cleaner even cut out the wall and determined the smoke was so bad it permeated halfway into the drywall. Therefore he painted the walls for abatement and Airbnb refused every single line item - refused to pay for the carpet cleaning, mattress and pillow shampooing, and refused to pay the smoke expert to paint the walls.

This is what Airbnb told me.

"Hi Zak,

Thanks for your patience while we reviewed your request.

After careful review of the available information, we determined that we won’t be able to proceed with your Host damage protection reimbursement request at this time.

We appreciate this might not be the outcome you were hoping for Zak, so we’d like to give you some more context.

The time, cause and origin of the Covered Loss, and evidence and proof of such loss in the form of receipts, photographs, videos, documents and other verifiable forms of proof.

Kindly be informed that smoke odor removal is invisible, hence no picture of damage received for carpet and pillow, but did not mention anything regarding carpet and pillow in the incident report provided.

We regret to inform that it is not agreeable to payout for wall painting due to smoking in the listing which is no direct physical damage. However, I will help to escalate the house rule violation to the relevant team for further assistance. They will contact you as soon as possible for further assistance.

If you’d like to know more, you can review the Host Damage Protection Terms at:

If you have questions about the outcome of our review process, or if you have additional information you believe should be provided to reconsider your request, please don’t hesitate to reply directly to this email—we’re here to help.

Best,
Aurora"