Cats as attraction

I don’t know if anyone heard a brief snippet on the news this morning about cats? - Apparently they can recognise their names but just choose not to respond!

Like it, maybe that could be a new buzz word to promote a place - Come and get some cateraction!

1 Like

Yes, I heard it. There’s an article in The Guardian too, all rather tongue-in-cheek. I found myself thinking “What? They’ve used academic funding to learn this?!”.

All cat owners/lovers know that cats will learn their names over time, just some more quickly than others. GTC wasn’t as gifted with grey matter as The Duchess, so was about 18 months behind.

They will respond to their names if always expectant of kindness, a fuss or a treat. Pure Pavlov. Similarly, they will ignore us if there is nothing in it for them or perhaps cruelty.

They will scarper at the sound of the flea/tick treatment vial snapping, although The Duchess did come back a few minutes later once. She had killed and eaten a pigeon the day before, then played with the remains and was crawling with fleas; you could see them on her nose. How smart was that!? The expression on her face was sublime, almost an expectant cringing at what was to come, but how smart was she.

Cats also hate being laughed at. We discovered that then.

1 Like

Speaking as somebody with a Ph.D. in Animal Behaviour (yes, honestly!), I think that’s a bit sad. Cats are interesting creatures, worthy of study as an example of semi-domestication over many thousands of years. You’ll probably find that the research has been sponsored and funded by a pet food company. And the skills that one learns during this kind of research - statistics, experimental design and so on - can be used in all sorts of areas. I went from studying the parental behaviour of mice in the mid-1970’s to being very involved in the research in the mid-1990’s that led to the major reforms in the Royal Ulster Constabulary / Police Service of Northern Ireland that played an integral role in the peace process in Northern Ireland. So please don’t be sniffy about “academic research” - you never know when it will come in handy.

2 Likes

Great idea - fun for the cat and fun for cat lovers too!

Cats are such divas - love the way some cats like people and some just don’t! No explanation required…I just don’t like you! If only us humans could get away with that!

I see your point. I did a fair bit of my own research as an NHS psychologist/clinician, and I well remember sitting on Ethics Committees debating research proposals with funding from drug companies.

But I’m jaded by continuing austerity, hits to welfare services, NHS funding, Probation and Social Services, student debt and the housing crisis. Naomi Klein wrote some years ago that the only thing left to take to market was Health, Social Care and education. That’s now a normal part of the landscape, with NHS CEOs and Vice Chancellors of Universities paid in stratospheric numbers, whilst frontline services die.

As someone of Northern Ireland heritage, I’m glad your behavioural research into mice had positive input into the peace process. I just somehow hope that the RUC remained unaware of your background. This did make me laugh!

1 Like

I should have included Brexit on the list…:thinking:

1 Like

I love this. Thanks for telling me about the book. I need to get it. I also want to add plants on those shelves (for a pop of color) but I’m afraid my cats will eat it and/or knock it off. Maybe hanging plants from the ceiling…

Of course they know their names. If I call them by their names they usually come running even if Im upstairs and they downstairs. They know that they’ll get petted or given treats or food. Cats are extremely intelligent and have more smell sensors than dogs - from what I read. I just can’t get enough of cats. Amazing animals.

You can be sure I kept it very quiet - you can imagine the response of the average peeler! However by that time I’d racked up a Master’s in Criminology as well so that gave me a bit of street cred!