Can't turn off the kitchen light?

Reeny, were these clods from Alberta by any chance? I had two guests recently from Alberta that did the same, only they stole supplies clearly belonging to the room and left me an astounding smackdown in private feedback about how terrible, tired, filthy and awful my place was and how I needed to spend a night in my own quarters to reconnect myself with the guest experience, among other really mean and abusive and cruel things. Yes it was so bad that they felt entitled to help themselves to my stuff. Losers. My second worst guests ever.

Some people are laundry obsessive!!!

If someone really wants to offer a washer/dryer but limit the usage, I think the best way to do that is to provide just enough detergent for 1 (or 2?) loads. Most people will want to avoid buying detergent so they will figure out how to get all their clothes washed in an efficient manner.

Not offering detergent will likely lead to people wanting to “wash as much as possible” since they essentially have way more detergent than they can ever use.

I have a new laundry scenario for everyone – we paid a $350 cleaning fee (at a diff vacation home) and we were still asked to do a load or two of laundry the night before our departure to help speed up the cleaning process the next day. Thoughts?

Not cool. That should be on them to do.

I would love to know how large this home was to charge a $350 cleaning fee
a reunion that sleeps 16??

Another reason I do not provide detergent is because I used to have guests that would launder my stuff and I specifically tell them now to not touch laundry belonging to the cabin. Guests figured they would launder the items, and fold them back up. They could care less if they set stains in. So all this did was cost me money in electricity, laundry, and having to replace items they stained. I could have gotten the stains out myself.

It is very common to require guests to start a load of laundry
this has always puzzled me because I would not trust guests to pre-treat stains. In those scenarios the owners provide the laundry detergent. Did they supply the laundry detergent?

And also I would like to know if any of their towels/sheets had stains. I know some people do this all season long with weekly rentals and claim none of their linens are stained. I find that very hard to believe.

Cabin – I feel the exact same way as you! I don’t want people messing with my linens because they set stains and my check-out instructions specifically request they DON’T strip sheets since we can’t pre-treat what we don’t see.

The house had 6 or 7 bedrooms and one bedroom had 2 sets of bunkbeds and a futon couch – so yes, it technically slept 17 people! We used 4 bedrooms for 7 people but I could see if there were 17 people in the house, there would be an excess amount of linen & towels that could not all get washed over the course of a day
 I noticed no stains on our sheets and towels AND there was no stain remover provided (they provided detergent). I think they’re expecting that people wash/dry the pool and beach towels which were not white. But we were still surprised by the request after paying the largest cleaning fee of $350 we’ve ever seen (the kitchen and rest of the house were normal sized – they just had all these add-on bedrooms). They allowed me a late check-out (by 2 hrs and 45 min) which enabled us to nap our 1 yo before we left for the airport so I didn’t say anything about the laundry request and we left 2 loads. I noticed they had really thin sheets so our 4 fitted sheets, 4 top sheets, and pillow cases all easily fit into the huge washer they had. They used bedspreads on top of the fitted sheets that were clearly not being laundered between each stay – I immediately stripped these off our beds when we arrived and put them to the side.

My sister was kinda appalled at the situation and I was torn since I host myself – I decided not to leave a vrbo review since she did me a favor with the late check-out. My sis might still write a critical review as the house was a bit thrashed for the price but I suppose that’s what the market demanded on the Big Island during Christmas!

Sweet! I love to hear the happy stories!

Oh, now it makes sense
 that if the house had slept 17 and all of them had dirtied sheets, I can understand why they’d want you to get laundry started. I would just leave it in the dryer though and not fold!

I think its pretty ridiculous to bother guests with starting a laundry. To leave house in dcent comdition yes, but not to actually participate in cleaning that you paid for

For those places that ask guests to start laundry it is because the cleaning service needs to be in and out within a certain amount of time when they are doing multiple turnovers for several owners, and all the homes need to be ready by check in. If they don’t use a cleaning service and it is just two housekeepers (with that huge house) they may not be able to get all the laundry done if guests don’t start it.

So the owner is looking at it as they can change check in time to later and check out to earlier in order not to ask guests to start the laundry. Or they will increase the cleaning fee in order to have someone do the laundry off site.

But most guests would prefer not to pay more in cleaning and they would rather not have their check in/check out time cut short. So they would prefer to throw the laundry in while they are finishing packing, eating breakfast, etc.

1 Like

Well, my sister’s point was that if you’ve charging $350 for cleaning, you need a system in place where there are extra sets of linens so that the cleaners just launder as much as possible and then place unlaundered items to the side for next time. We figured that $350= 3 cleaners for 4 hrs (I doubt that the house regularly hosts 17 people and that all the bedrooms/bathrooms are regularly used.) I thought it was a bit much to subject guests to the logistics of laundry. If you want to host 17 people (she charges for each addtl guest of course!), I think you need to figure out on your end how to make that work, including not doing same-day turnovers.

1 Like

Right! Because YOU already PAID YOUR cleaning ($350)
 it’s as though they are asking you to donate some $$ toward the clean up
 which is a different thing. Didn’t think of using multiple housekeepers

Hey,
We are launching a device for checking lights,
I had this idea, when I saw that a friend of mine forgot (not intentionaly) a light before leaving for 3 days

The engineers I’m working with are enabling to check all the consumptions of a place.
the price will be around 90$

Please subscribe on this page, we need your feed backs !!