Cancelling account - can Airbnb take money from me?

@airbnb_ghost Very interesting take from your solicitor! Please drop in again and let us know what your decide and you’re welcome here anytime - whether you’re using Airbnb or not. For some of us its only a small slice of our business.

As I found and posted the relevant clause for you before you got advice from your lawyer does that mean I get paid lawyers rates too? :smile:

I think phrases like ‘you possibly have an argument’ ‘he feels this could be taken as enough grounds’ wouldn’t be enough to inspire me with any confidence.

But I wish you all the best.

Do let us know what happens.

1 Like

haha, even if it only took you three minutes, it’s still worth something at lawyer’s rates!

Really can’t understand why I couldn’t find it. When I search from Safari, Bing, or Google, it is the first thing that comes up; I swear it wasn’t there when I looked earlier this week. Could the search order change, based on what I have previously looked at? Maybe I just ignored it, as the summary says “no information available for this page”. Anyway, I’m there now.

Fully agree, lawyers will sound as if they are saying what you want them to say, but dressing it up in a way that they can cover themselves when it goes the other way. Reminds me of my divorce!

Thanks again.

1 Like

Sorry ghost, I thought you were from the US. Hope it works out the way you want it to.

No Solicitor worth his salt would be other than circumspect.

Of course the other side to this is that a Lawyer working for ABB would be equally uncertain as to the validity of their case, and somewhat unlikely that they would want to take the risk for such a small amount of money.

Looks like this is on old thread, but here are my (late) two cents. The T&C that was cited before said, " you authorize Airbnb Payments to collect these amounts from you by withholding the amounts from your future Payouts and/or charging any Payment Method on file in your Airbnb Account."

I read this as there are two methods “to collect”: 1) future payouts or 2) “method on file in your account” (which could be credit card or your bank account.

So, can’t you take down your credit card and also take down your bank information? Or, you can call your bank and tell them not to release funds to Airbnb, if requested by them.

Then, sit and wait to see what happens. I believe they have to inform you several times before sending anything to collections and even that just may be a threat.

Have you tried removing your credit card and banking information @MarkD19731?

If you refuse to handover payment Airbnb deems you owe - they can and do pursue guests and hosts for payment through collection services and the courts.

I think this is exactly what the OP needs to see. Glad you found it.

@Helsi, no I have not tried to delete payment methods, I was just suggesting that as a way to resolve the original issue. Have you personally experienced Airbnb pursuing you through a collections agency? Or do you know verified cases of this? (more than just a person complaining online about it since it is hard to know what is true/false). Just curious if they would go that far!

I have no idea if Airbnb would pursue someone through collections in this case. But the only safe course I see is to assume that they would.

Whether they’ve done it in the past is no actual predictor of their future handling of a particular case.

1 Like

Why would you think I am personally being pursued by Airbnb for non payment @MarkD19731?

I wasn’t the one posting on here suggesting 'can’t you take down your credit card and also take down your bank information? Or, you can call your bank and tell them not to release funds to Airbnb, if requested by them.

That would be you :slight_smile: :smile: :blush:

There are cancellation fees that are applied to hosts. If you look at your transaction history, there’s a section for cancellation fees. It’s deducted from your payout. At this point, snoozing your calendar would be your best option while you fullfill the existing bookings unless, like someone already suggested, you get guests to cancel.