Cancellations for arrivals between 14 March and 14 April

The sky is falling @KenH . the death rate in Italy is 7%, similar demographics of Florida, old people. This is as serious as it gets.

2 Likes

Guests only need to mention Coronavirus and entire refund from now on until when ever this crisis end? After numerous cancellations yesterday, another renter Mark wants to cancel his reservation in May, again I need to emphasizeā€”after all weā€™re just some small house owners and not a huge hotel chains or travel insurance companies who have the resources and government support for getting through this.

It is only fair the entire Airbnb need to share the loss of rent due to cancellations, Hosts like me maybe can only cover for a short period of time like from now to mid-April, after that we can Not continue to cover until whenever this crisis ends (could last well into the summer). For people still booking summer, they need to know that travel insurance is what will be getting them the money back.

And it is not fair for us to continue to cover when travelers has options to purchase travel insurance. In fact, ever since the beginning, Iā€™ve strongly suggested all my renters to purchase travel insurances in case they canā€™t make it (this is stated in my house rules which everyone had to accept in order to book), yet most choose to cheap out on travel insurance, and only seek full refund from us the hosts when they cannot make it for whatever reason it might be.

1 Like

Itā€™s already been posted here 100 times in the last week that travel insurance doesnā€™t cover this pandemic or other ā€œacts of God.ā€ Never has, never will.

This whole thing isnā€™t fair and we are all sharing the burden in one way or another. Is is fair for hosts to get paid for stays that donā€™t occur? Is it fair if hosts and Airbnb continue to encourage travel, enhancing the spread of the disease? Is it fair that the travel industry is to blamed for a good chunk of this disaster.

No, life isnā€™t fair. No exemption for Airbnb hosts.

5 Likes

The new cancellation policy is brilliant. As entrepreneurs, there is no guaranteed income for us. But there is health, and peace of mind.

3 Likes

Did you not read the COVID-19 EC Policy? It only applies to reservations made before March 14, and with one day of the stay between March 14-April 14. So not ā€œuntil whenever this crisis endsā€.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

What reservations are covered

Reservations made on or before March 14, 2020

Existing reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in date of April 14, 2020, or earlier, and with at least one night occurring between March 14, 2020 and April 14, 2020 are covered. This means that guests who cancel will receive a full refund, hosts will be able to cancel without charge or impact to their Superhost status, and Airbnb will refund all service fees.

Existing reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences with a check-in date after April 14, 2020 will not be covered under our extenuating circumstances policy except where the guest or host has contracted COVID-19. The hostā€™s cancellation policy will apply as usual.

Reservations made after March 14, 2020

Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made after March 14, 2020 will not be covered under our extenuating circumstances policy except where the guest or host has contracted COVID-19. The hostā€™s cancellation policy will apply as usual.

Please remember to carefully review the listingā€™s cancellation policy set by the host when booking and consider choosing an option that provides flexibility.

Really, you think they will keep it that way? They can change it to later dates in a blink of an eye!

1 Like

And Iā€™m certain they will. I canā€™t imagine that anything about this pandemic will be resolved by April 14.

6 Likes

I 100% agree. Iā€™ve been a superhost for almost 3 years and this is absurd. At the minimum it should be a 50% split between guest and host. This is a natural disaster and Airbnb is handling this sooo wrong. We need to band together. Airbnb cannot just get away with screwing all of us.

1 Like

Still I think Airbnb is handling this terribly. The guests should have a loss in this as well. It cannot be 100% on the hosts for losing the entire booking. At the minimum it should be a 50% split between guest and host for current reservations. I just hand a whole month cancelled and I rely on my airbnb to pay my rent. Iā€™ve been a super host for almost 3 years and this is awful how airbnb is treating us. We need to band together and see if someone can be done on a legal level

2 Likes

Well who is going to start?

Lots of complaints, no action. Everyone waiting for someone else to do something. I mean, something concrete, not a change.org petition.

Come back when you have some actionable tips for us.

1 Like

This is so unfair! Iā€™ve been a superhost for about 3 years and this is terrible on so many levels for me. At the minimum there should be an equal 50% split between guest and host for cancellations right now. It cant all fall on the host. This is ridiculous. We need to all band together and see if there is anything legally that we can do about this

Sorry to say, dream on. This is what we all signed up for as Airbnb hosts. Have you read the Terms of Service that you agreed to?

ā€œfairā€ is only what you personal opinion what fair is.

Fair for me is full refund for no service provided. I am a host. When guest donĀ“t come. They donĀ“t pay. Simple. This is global!

5 Likes

Hi, new here cause I want my voice to be heard as a Host in NYC! I completely agree, Airbnb is a dual-agency on the paper representing both parties, hosts and guests and all of a sudden they take 100% the side of the guests???!!! How fair can this be? Like you said we asked a firm policy to start with. We understand how unique this is to us all but Airbnb Canā€™t take 100% of one side and nothing for us. We have Insurance, mortgages, bills, maitenance and much more to take care of, how can we do this with 0 income on all of those cancelations. Give us something, a minimum to cope with maybe 25%. Please this canā€™t go on like this and this this not a smart long term move from Aibrnb. VRBO still gives as I write 50% of the bookings to their owers

1 Like

You arenā€™t going to ā€œbe heardā€ here. We are just a forum of hosts and not affiliated with Airbnb.

Your best bet is to go 100% with VRBO and hope they stick with that policy. Itā€™s all out of Airbnbā€™s hands now anyway, especially in a place like NYC.

Sorry for your pain.

it isnā€™t fair for all the casual workers that wont have hours, the restaurants that wont have patrons, the bus companies that wont have passengers to take in, the kids not receiving an education it is affecting everyone everywhere! My husband an I are self isolating because we have just returned from japan. No work, no income!

1 Like

The US government finally got serious due to a UK report that said this could go on for months and 2 million Americans could die if we didnā€™t get serious. By taking these drastic measures it could be half that. If it convinces Donald Trump it must have been quite the report.

1 Like

I am not moaningā€¦just saying that this affects everyone, not just hosts and guests We are ALL IN THIS!

2 Likes

Oh no, didnā€™t think you wereā€¦just reiterating the situation for the people in back. :wink:

Iā€™m a Newbie in this Forum, but I like you! Straight to the point! We could be friendsā€¦:slightly_smiling_face: Keep doing what your doing

1 Like