Can you charge a cleaning fee for hosting a service animal?

You have just posted the first actual snark comment in this thread.

Other posters, including me, have been trying give you useful advice, especially since you said you are a new host, re service dog definitions, that service dog paperwork doesn’t exist, how to deal with the dog hair, and not making judgements about whether a guest is being truthful or not simply based on some demographic, which applies to many things about hosting, not just service dogs.

3 Likes

That’s probably true though I’ve done the same as @Airbnb_mama

Of course the military has many people of integrity. But like any group there are not just outliers but people above average and below.

You and @muddy are right to point out that stereotyping even for a positive attribute is a pitfall (or worse).

Thank you.

2 Likes

The one thing that has consistently gotten my hackles up here over the last few years are those who think they can judge a guest based on how they look. I don’t care if it’s a profile photo or how they look on arrival.

3 Likes

Maybe you’re right. Everyone else’s comments have been helpful. It seemed that you started coming for me, firing off questions in what felt like a berating manner.
I’m not interested in making a recurring thread of drama. It’s possible I misread your tone. I appreciate your help.

3 Likes

@Airbnb_mama Welcome. This forum has a strong personality. Every now and then you’ll feel like stomping off. It will be your loss, though, because the collective wisdom is priceless. My tongue is all bitten up from the times I’ve stifled my own opinion. I’m here to learn and I attribute my current outrageous success to the good counsel gleaned from these pages.

10 Likes

Cleaning fees are something guests tend to dislike, so if you can work it so you don’t have to charge one, that could be a good idea. Also some guests think that if they paid a cleaning fee, that’s license to leave the place a big mess.
It sounds like you are doing your own cleaning, so while of course you need to factor that in when setting your prices, it’s easier to do, IMO, than if you have a cleaner you need to pay.

I have a private room homeshare listing, and do my own cleaning, so that entails the guest bedroom, guest bathroom, and of course making sure the common spaces, like my kitchen and outdoor spaces are quite clean and looking better than they might when I don’t have guests.

When I first signed up to host, I decided that there was no way I wanted to have to clean for 1 or even 2 night bookings- I really don’t even have time for that. So I set a 3 night minimum stay and just factored the cleaning into my other hosting expenses to come up with the nightly fee. So if a guest only stays 3 nights, I feel I am fairly compensated for my cleaning time, and if they stay longer, then I’m actually seeing more profit. I also leave one night between bookings, so I’m not stressed about rushing in and cleaning for same day turnovers. (It also eliminates the issue of guests bugging you about early check-in, or checking out late, so you’re madly trying to get the place cleaned for another guest who checking in in 2 hours)

So that’s one way to do it. But a 3 night minimum might not work well for many hosts, depending on their location, why guests book, and whether you might tend to get a lot of guests who only want 1 or 2 nights. It works for me because I’m in a tourist beach destination town, where most guests fly in and are on vacation, not just passing through or coming for a day or two.

Figuring out your pricing, minimum and maximum stay lengths, wether to accept back-to-back or short-notice bookings, etc, are a balance between what works for you personally, your financial hosting goals (do you have other income sources, or do you need or want to make as much money as possible from hosting) and what works for your guests. It’s easy to fall into a trap where you are stressing yourself out trying to get as many bookings as possible, but are running yourself ragged trying to keep up. Hosts burn out that way.

Also, nothing is set in stone. If you find something isn’t working for you, you can always change it. Often the best answer to “should I do this or should I do that?” is “Try it and see”.

2 Likes

I’ve been on this site for quite a while now, and apart from occasionally getting pulled up for whatever I was writing about, it is an excellent place to get some very, very useful advice.
Stick with us kid!! (And I say ‘kid’ in a friendly manner- not stereotyping at all!!)

4 Likes

You’re correct that no paperwork is required for service dogs in the US. Also, there are a number of websites that will provide paperwork for a fee with no validation that a dog is a service dog. Unfortunately, many people take advantage of this and claim there pet is a service dog when it is not. That said, organizations often do have paperwork. The service dog organization I work with provides a letter, certificate and also an ID card. I think this is not the norm, however. All this to say, paperwork is often illegitimate, however, there are exceptions to this. You kind of have to take it on a case-by-case basis, and, of course, you are allowed to ask those two questions referenced elsewhere in this thread.

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve heard of this. Would you mind naming the organization? It’s my belief all the hosts who regularly post here are very supportive of true service dogs and knowing that a real organization is doing paperwork would make our current wisdom outdated.

1 Like

The wisdom is not outdated. Unfortunately, there are many people who get papers from the internet for non-service dogs (I know someone personally who did this and I was not happy). They may think that misrepresenting their pet as a service dog is a victimless crime,so “what’s the big deal?” (Actually here in CA it is a crime, but there is little to no enforcement.) They do not realize the harm this causes to disabled service dog handlers. It makes it harder on legitimate handlers with trained dogs as they are automatically suspect. Also, many handlers have stories to tell of their trained dogs being attacked by untrained “service dogs”.

There are a number of service dog training organizations in the US. The service dog “industry” is not standardized, so each organization has its own approach. Some issue IDs and others don’t. I am speaking for the US only, as many other countries do require some form of organizational ID. Having an ID and/or an organizational letter/affiliation can make it easier for handlers that travel internationally to meet the requirements of other countries.

To add to the confusion, the US allows for self-training of service dogs, and there are many who take this option, so those handlers will not have paperwork.

The ADA is clear that paperwork is not required, which is where some have gotten the idea that paperwork must be fake (as well as the prevalence of Internet sites that provide paperwork with no proof that the dog as a service dog), however, this does not mean that there are not legitimate organizations that have paperwork. As I said, it especially helps for international travel.

1 Like

I disagree. Anyone with half a brain would understand that. They simply don’t care, as long as their fake service dog claim allows them to bring Fido with them everywhere.
Just like politicians who pass laws which hurt the average person, they know full well it will, they just don’t care.

1 Like

I hear you about this and politicians. It seems to be about about optics not what actually works.

But you would be surprised how many people actually don’t realize the harm that they cause. I spoke with someone who talked about how they went on a site to get the paperwork so that they could travel with their pet dog on an airplane. I tried to explain the many reasons why this was terrible, but they just didn’t seem to get it.

As I said, they either have half a brain or simply don’t care. This person you were trying to explain it to either has half a brain (the average 6 year old could understand it) or they are doing the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and going, “Lalalalala, I can’t hear you”.

As for paperwork, we have a service dog, and there is paperwork that we need to show if going on an airline.

2 Likes

Yes, but that is completely different and only applies to Airlines. They are covered under the Air Carrier Access Act, not the ADA or FHA.

3 Likes

This is great feedback. I did read another post and people seemed rather unanimous that guests tend to leave things messier, even justified in doing so if you charge a cleaning fee. So, I think I’ll continue to not charge one.
I did have the 3 night minimum on, but recently took it down to two, just to see if it changed how many bookings I could get. I also noticed other air bnbs in my immediate area didn’t have 3 night minimum.
I appreciate your response.

1 Like

this is all absolutely true! I’ve been raising seeing eye dogs for over 20 years and their behaviour is always the highest possible. when I go away with my pups, I always carry the pup’s bedding, bowls and food and would never give them any other food in case it disagrees with them. the only issue you might face as a host would be shedding hair (esp if a labrador and if the guest is blind). Barking, scratching, chasing dogs and cars, stealing things, chewing, jumping on furniture, sleeping on beds simply does not exist for guide dogs for the blind. In Australia, guide dogs for the blind are not required to carry paperwork (they have little coats that show who they are) but other types of assistance dogs do. But this requirement differs by state and country, so its best to check out the local requirements. I’m tired of reading about fake assistance dogs that destroy it for everyone else. Their behaviour is and must always be exemplary and not at the standard of a pet!

3 Likes

Oh gosh @airbnb_mama - I guess this is like so many other forums - it can be a blood sport. To wind back to your original post. I didn’t charge a cleaning fee originally either but have added a nominal $60 fee to offset the times I do need cleaners (otherwise I do it myself) which costs $150 - $200. As an airbnb guest I don’t appreciate seeing a $150-$200 cleaning fee on top of the all the other fees so I often make choices with my listing based on what I’m comfortable with as an airbnb guest. I’d rather add the fee than raise my rates - different optics. At first I had a no pet rule but then changed it because I am a huge dog lover and used to travel with one so was very grateful when pets were allowed. I DID add a line with a $30 pet fee when airbnb instituted that since there is more cleaning required. And frankly, I think I have far more business as a listing that allows dogs. I have caveats I send in a pre-written note about what I expect (that they’ll be kept off furniture and beds, not scratch at the doors, etc.) I have had no issues in the 10 years I’ve been hosting and only one guest who couldn’t book because of a dog allergy. So if you DO change your mind and allow pets, and add a nominal extra charge, then I would think, in the case of a service dog, you could leave it to them to either check that box or not. Don’t be discouraged about coming here for advice - you just have to have a thick skin sometimes. I’m sorry your first foray triggered such aggressive responses.

2 Likes

I just had a guest book with a fake service dog last week. I know it was fake because in her message she said:

I’d like to bring my service dog. I can provide his card for proof.
Well service dogs do not have cards, and even ESA’s the proof is for the patient not the dog.

I accepted because I was not going to fight Air over it. She was a horrible guest, she let that dog run loose on the property, it charged my chicken run and scared them. It pee’d on my brand new lawn burning holes in it.

F U Lisa and your fake service animal.

RR

4 Likes

I would report a guest to Airbnb who did this. Tell them scammers like this are what lead to discrimination against those who really are disabled and require service animals, as hosts can’t trust guests not to lie.

2 Likes