Can I ask a difficult guest to leave?

I am not joining that club!

2 Likes

And even at this amazingly low price, people knock them on their stars. For that price, I would be happy if I wasnā€™t mugged or sharing with drug addicts. I, for one, am not interested in this type of booking, but I sure would have been when I was a young thing with just a backpack and the travel bug.

3 Likes

Start writing the blog Dusty!

1 Like

Iā€™m way too old, James. Although I may find out on my road trip this fall how low I can still go. LOL.

1 Like

There is a limit on how happy low price can make me. If its filthy then i dont care how low price is.

2 Likes

I hear ya. Iā€™m planning a bit of a fall road trip too. Itā€™s so expensive, even staying in crappy motels. Iā€™m throwing a tent in the back of the car and maybe check out some Air backyard camping. Come stay in my place on your trip. Free. But youā€™ll have to water my orchids and feed the kitty when youā€™re here.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer and Iā€™ll extend the same to you if youā€™re through El Paso. But Iā€™m going North/East. I know I will go as far as Columbus Ohio and maybe farther than that and back around through Nashville and I must be in Dallas on Nov 2. I have friends I can stay with along almost every road in every direction but Iā€™m not too old to snooze under the camper shell on the back of my truck at a roadside stop.

1 Like

Sounds like a great trip. Iā€™ve never seen that part of our country. One of these daysā€¦

Iā€™ve spent more than a few nights sleeping in the back my Yaris, if you can picture that.

I just want to know how it can be 1) a ā€œreal bedā€ and 2) family friendly

Itā€™s probably due to what I think @konacoconutz posted earlier about the Air algorithms. They prioritize in search places that historically take what people are looking for. So if most of your recent bookings are longer and someone is searching for longer, youā€™ll come up first.

Right? Strange since it is a couch and a limit of one person. But then shows a pic of two people traveling together.

And then thereā€™s this! Iā€™m noticing so many listings in my area that are popping up like this one.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7821571

One reason for this is that rents in this area are going through the roof, so youngish people have this alternative way of living thatā€™s going to be the norm pretty soon.

I had to laugh when I read, ā€œTwo nice parks just blocks from the listingā€. MacArthur Park is only nice if youā€™re in need of a fix. Itā€™s pretty much an open market for illegal drugs. One of our guests got mugged in the area where this listing is located.

In the daytime itā€™s quite scenic and festive, but if you need to buy a fake ID or get a drug fix maybe itā€™s the go-to place for some. I love the area, though.

That is interesting. We started hosting in may and I just looked up my neighborhoodā€™s ratings. Our rate is 58 $ per night (for a private room in a nice location) and I found places that were in even more central locations at 50 $ a night for the whole flat. And theyā€™ve probably used the prices Air suggests, because some of the prices are very low. I thought that we wouldnā€™t have any bookings for the autumn, but now weā€™ve got solid bookings for the days that were possible to book - we still need some AIR between the bookings. We thought about the pricing from the point of view: ā€œIs that enough for losing our privacy?ā€ And it has been: for the next summer were going to rice the price a little.

1 Like

I noticed that too. And they looked like twins, from Nigeria maybe? On a layover at LAX? Tooooo funny. And the sofa thing looks like a loveseat deal, not a full sofa. The entire site looks very odd, especially when they tout themselves as a ā€œyoung Asian familyā€ and Marco or whatever his name is in the pic is anything but Asian. Hilarious.

1 Like

Thereā€™s tons of these if you keep surfing them. Crazy.

1 Like

wow an island in belize? and TWO years worth of bookings??!! wow!!! would i be able to see your listing @Mearns? would love to take a peek. hey donā€™t other hosts get nudged up the waiting list a little? :wink:

Thatā€™s kind of funny!! Well - we can choose to read them, or not, right? Itā€™s your thread, anyway! Iā€™m happy youā€™ve found a niche in this market and are enjoying it. Yes, we all get a bad one now and then, regardless of type of accommodation or price - but we canā€™t let that define us as hosts.

1 Like

My husband and I were just discussing this. When we first opened we relied on airbnbā€™s price tips - going a bit lower because of what we were offering. We didnā€™t know any better. Once the other hosts realize the expense in time, money & taxes, they will have to raise their rates also. Or so we all hopeā€¦

2 Likes