Can I ask a difficult guest to leave?

I agree completely. I like it that I get a goodly amount when they check in, but then the proverbial honeymoon sometimes comes to an end quickly. My limit is 7 days and I’m thinking of changing it to 5. Two of my several long term stays were young guys with mood disorders. I asked both to leave early and they did. As it turned out they were drifters.

I’ve got another one now. No mood disorder but another very young drifter type I decided to take a chance on. He’s not awful, just doing some annoying things like sleeping until 11am or noon, then up all night; leaving laundry half done. He leaves tomorrow. I blocked that day on my calendar so he’s got to go, but last night I got a request for another week. I declined saying it’s been a pleasure but he’d be much more comfortable with a private room. I feel a little guilty–but not THAT guilty to give in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No amount of money is worth hosting a volatile guest. Get rid of him.

2 Likes

If the guest is irritating; a long stay is no fun. However for me the best scenario of all is a great guest staying a long time. We currently have a Ph.D. student. She’s German, studying at Cambridge. She is quiet, clean, considerate, fun, friendly and helpful. She even cooked us a delicious German dinner. She’s staying for 25 days. We wish she would stay forever. She’s a wonderful roommate . Not having turnover for 25 days feels like a vacation.

7 Likes

Even in my scenario (an island, where I simply drop them off and pick them up) I have a 3-day minimum and a 5-day maximum, the 5-day maximum is really there as a ‘just-in-case’ precaution against getting stuck with a royal ‘you-know-what’. Many people ask for longer stays, and I relinquish sometimes, going on nothing but instincts of course.

2 Likes

WHat you mean, you share room with him?

why you have a max stay if it s separate island? DO you communicate with them at all?

I would with pleasure have one week guests than longer like a month. And then i could have 2 days break in between, but all i have is month long inquiries

It is easier to plan for food,etc for a 5-day stay than a 7-day one, as a direct consequence, I rarely have to visit my guest with the former, but always when they stay more than 5 days. Also, I try to spread the bookings around, the waiting list is getting longer not shorter.

1 Like

No. He slept in the corner of my “spacious living room in a comfy bed”. He left today–day 7, well last night was his 7th night. I had to wake him up at 10:35am for the 11am check out. He went to a rave last night in Los Angeles and got in at 4am. I realized that he is pretty much homeless. He had all his possessions in a couple large plastic containers. He’s 22. Very pleasant guy but going nowhere fast.

Is this the kind of guest you usually get? Young male, not homeless. LOL

Yes I seem to, and for obvious reasons: I’m cheap :wink: and I’m in Southern California near the beach, which is a draw for a lot of transplants/drifters. This kid said he was from San Jose, CA, but as it turned out he was actually from this area and had been up north seeking his fortune that didn’t materialize. He initially was coming into town for a job interview, but that never seemed to happen. He slept til noon every day and was running the streets all night. Oh! And for pocket change he was delivering food from take-outs to private homes. It’s an app. What next?

I do get a lot of people doing the interview deal. In fact tomorrow a guy is coming for just 2 days from Wisconsin I think. He sounds and looks very legit, and has great reviews. The above guy had no reviews but I decided to take a chance because he sounded so normal, and actually was. He just needed to grow up.

1 Like

Do you own or rent your place? Why do you want to host this kind of riff raff?

I wouldn’t exactly call my guests riff raff. I am perhaps a bit too overly open minded in accepting certain types. ABB in fact pushes us to have fewer rules and accept everyone for obvious reasons. I am a trusting person and it’s worked out just fine–except for the oddball now and then. This last guy was a bit of work. He checked out today after I woke him up to do so, and he did. I got a text from him saying he’d left some protein bars in the fridge. I checked. Yes, there are 2 fucking bars in there. I put them on the step for him.

No more guests without reviews!

As to your question about owning or renting, why would you ask that?

2 Likes

It’s a fair question. Do you rent or own?

Again, why would you ask this question? Please tell me your prejudice.

OK I have to give in. I understand that you are heading toward. This property is “in the family”. It was my dad’s mom’s place. I built a house on the back of the lot. I’m very fortunate because I could never ever afford to buy anything near this place. And pardon my snarky previous comments. On behalf of Ernest & Julio, I apologize :slight_smile:

Then why the heck do you need to be renting out to homeless guys?

Again with the insults. I own a single family home in Kona, Hawaii . But you think I live in a senior village?

Again, why do you keep these insults coming? I’m not understanding you.

I explained why I accept guests. Air suggests to be open to all. Which I do. What if I’d said I was a renter? Looking down your nose? …I just have to keep this silliness going :slight_smile: And why do you rent your place out? You don’t do it for the $$?

Well my place is not worth a million on Zillow.

My apologies for thinking you may be a renter. It’s maybe something in your attitude.

Done here for tonight. You are giving me a bigger headache than 28 snarky regular Ed third graders did today.

If Wang prefers to prevent these annoying, potential security/nonpayment hazard guests from staying, I would advise he/she revise their rates upwards and be more selective when screening. We have found higher paying guests to be less of a headache, and even if we don’t get 100% occupancy the net revenue works out higher than 100% at a low price. And less taxing on our patience!

2 Likes

I have a question,do you just rent the living room out or you have separate bedrooms for rent too? I think there are certain types of guests you get with this type of accomodation: a bed in a living room. What i mean is that i would not rent it because for me its weird to sleep somewhere where people can see you while you sleep, but i am not a homeless young guy:).

1 Like