Can hosts get referral credits for guests?

As you may or not know we get a $40 (AUD) credit for referring new guests to AirBnB once they have booked a reservation greater than $100 or more. The upside is the guests also get the $40 credit as well.

My question is do we get the $40 credit if they book with us. That is, if we become the host?

Under the terms and conditions: “Neither the Airbnb User may be the host nor the guest on the Qualifying Reservation booked by the referred friend.”

My question is two fold:

1. Does the guest get the $40 credit if they make their first booking with us? (It appears not to me)

2. Do I as the host and they as the user get the credit only when the referrred guest make additional bookings but not with us?

Does anyone have much experience with this? At present, I have my own website with my booking link going straight to my listing on AirBnB. My research indicates that most AirBnB regulars go to the AirBnB webpage whereas those who haven’t experienced AirBnB will most likely come to my own webpage. As they are not AirBnB users, I want to incentivise them with the $40 credit if they book with me through AirBnB.

Sorry if I am not explaining myself too clearly but I am sure that experienced hosts will know what I am getting at.

If you are not an experienced host, then you may wish to check out the AirBnB Referral Program which can be found under your hosting homepage.

The referral credit only works once for a brand new user for their first qualifying booking.

If you’re trying to rack up credits, the best way would be to put your referral link online somewhere thats easily searchable so that people looking to book on Air for the first time & who don’t have a referral link might search as they would for a promo code. New user opens account, makes a booking unrelated to your property, and you both get your credits.

1 Like

Hi Chicago
So what you are saying is that the initial booking must be unrelated to my property? If so, then my aim of putting the link for the referral on my website so they can book then and there to my
AirBnB won’t really work? My aim was to build up credits for myself as new clients book on AirBnb through my website link.

That’s not allowed, see here:

https://www.airbnb.com/referrals/terms_and_conditions

Referrals should only be used for personal and non-commercial purposes, and only
shared with personal connections that will appreciate receiving these invitations.
Referral links should not be published or distributed where there is no reasonable
basis for believing that all or most of the recipients are personal friends (such as
coupon websites, Reddit, or Wikipedia).

Hi Tomdxb
Thanks for clarifying this for me. I thought this was the case but knew there would be experts within this forum who could explain it to me in simple terms! Thanks. Will toe the line.