Camera photos, and disclosure

Season is Sept 28 to Nov 1 and fees vary depending on a variety of factors. If you aren’t on your own land you’ll need to get permission from the landowner in the form of a lease. There isn’t federal land in TX that you can hunt on for free.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/licenses/hunting-licenses-and-permits/#non-resident-licenses
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/season-types/archery-only

It only costs us $48 for a 5-day nonresident exotic game license. We end up with about 60 lbs of groceries so the cost is about $0.80 a lb plus my family’s labor, which is priceless, of course. :cowboy_hat_face:

I have a standing invitation from 2 brothers that were tour passengers to come to their ranch in Hereford and hunt wild hogs, but I’m not sure I could use all that sausage!

2 Likes

Hereford is far from where Lone Star has her property. It’s not wooded Hill Country it’s the butt end of the Great Plains. As the name implies it’s cow country. To each their own but it’s not an appealing part of the country to me. It literally smells. Perhaps off the highway and deep on a ranch it would be fine.

“the butt end of the Great Plains” explains why I’ve never heard of it. If I don’t know where something is by name in our state, it’s guaranteed to be north of Waco in the region of the state we refer to as Southern Oklahoma. :joy:

Hereford is actually Western Oklahoma. It’s near Amarillo. I just heard a singer songwriter in concert. She has a song called “The Only Pretty Thing in Texas.” The words include the lines “I will never understand a man who wrote a song for Amarillo” and “The only pretty thing in Texas was my dress.” I thought it was funny but she was singing it in Albuquerque to a receptive crowd.

It took my Minnesotan about a year to stop calling our state mascot ‘amarillo’ so ever since then I sing the song, ‘armadillo by mornin up from San Antone…’

2 Likes

I had an acquaintance from Amarillo and he took me to Cadillac Ranch, which was about the only memorable place in the area. This was before the pullout was built.
:cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

The best thing in the area is Palo Duro Canyon and if you like those regional pageant play things, the Texas Outdoor Musical.

I hope he took you to the Big Texan. It is a little heavy on the stuffed-dead-things decor but it is an experience.