Calling all lurkers

Sounds like it :blush: Our daughter said she would move but in 6th grade that is a tough transition so we are staying put in Cincy for now. She is now telling me she will go to college in NC. She is young enough to still like us and want to hang with her parents. Lol

Our house is South of Waynesville NC, right below the BRP and walkable distance to Lake Logan. Close enough to drive to Asheville but far enough way to avoid the STR bans and partiers. Well, at least SOME of them - haha

1 Like

Did I miss something? What happened to our Kona kokonutz?

Who?

#onlyjokingonlyjoking

3 Likes

welcome

#Imserious

4 Likes

I can truly relate to your (previous) experience on this forumā€¦I lurk, as it seems like everyone knows each other, and more, and I donā€™t usually feel I have anything to contribute. I am renting a small bedroom in my condo, so donā€™t get a lot of the issues that I read about here, but I still feel Iā€™m learning, particularly since it seems like ABB no longer has our back much of the time. Anyway, glad you are going to be a regular on this forum, and will miss Kona.

6 Likes

I know what you mean when forums get a bit cliquey and you feel like an outsider. But itā€™s inevitable that it happens, I think. When you start getting involved, youā€™re bound to get to know regular posters and so end up sharing jokes etc.
Everyone has something to contribute, I think, even if itā€™s just liking something!

6 Likes

I hit the heart button alot, twice in the last two minutes on this post alone. :wink: And I post a silly picture from time to time, haha.

It might be an unseen contribution but it is still supporting each other. And I think that has to count for something.

Hang in there and welcome - everyone. :hugs:

8 Likes

Poppy,
Your post about the ā€œpotentialā€ guest is one of my least favorite experiences throughout the booking process! I have had this exact same thing happen to me and have finally have come to terms with after the several well crafted gentle pleas to get said guest to respond I cancel and lo and behold within minutes they are incensed! The degree of their outrage is usually a good guide as to what kind of guest they would end up being, so my hide has gotten a little tougher about the new generation of Airbnb users that are beyond entitled and end up being the worst guests possible! I appreciate your posts about feeling not welcome to the group for some unknown reason and usually left feeling a little put-off and would only visit as a lurker. So many thanks for your insights.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for your post. Iā€™m a lurker/learner/liker. Iā€™m a new host with a self-catering property and I joined this forum to learn all I can from the experience of others. Although I realise the forum is for the benefit of hosts, I do find some reading quite scary! Iā€™ll be here lurking, learning and liking as usual!

7 Likes

I, too, would like to know what happened to Kona.

1 Like

I am an expecting a poor rating from a guest who found a part to the BBQ that we didnā€™t know exists and she pulled it out and fat spilt all over her feet. It was underneath the sections that are normally cleaned. She sent me photos to prove her point. I apologised but couldnā€™t help myself and asked why she pulled it out?! She didnā€™t reply.

So yesterday I was explaining to the cleaner how I am waiting until 1 minute to 11am on the 14th day to write the review of her as if she has written a bad review it should be much lower down the list by then and if she hasnā€™t it will be too late for her to write one.

My cleaner said, wow that is really clever of you! I said no, I learnt it from a forum I am on. I didnā€™t work these things out myself!

3 Likes

Okaayy, I have to be honest here and say - why wasnā€™t the BBQ properly cleaned? Itā€™s not the guestā€™s fault that neither you nor the cleaner were unaware of all the parts to the applianceā€¦right?
Honestly, Iā€™m not trying to be argumentative or anything here, just thinking Iā€™d be a bit pissed off to have fat spilled all over my feet.
Iā€™m sure you would be too? For me, this would be a lesson learned and an apology in the review.

I agree, itā€™s a bit harsh to give a bad review for an incident that shouldnā€™t really be classified as neglect but rather, an oversight (in my opinion). However, along with the apology, Iā€™d offer a refund, enough for her to replace her shoes, and be sure to post it in your public reply.

Iā€™m new to this though, perhaps a public acknowledgement and a private note about the refund?

Thanks for message, but I would like to highlight that I wasnā€™t writing to ask advice on the BBQ issue - stuff happens. I was trying to give an example of how much I have learnt from reading this forum.

I donā€™t believe it is ever a good idea to mention an issue in a review. I have seen many hosts do that unnecessarily when the guest didnā€™t even mention the problem.

6 Likes

Thanks for the top tip. We canā€™t get wifi at our remote cottage. I have to fight the urge to apologise for it.

3 Likes

I am mostly a lurker here. Nice to have a local posting, so thought Iā€™d join in. Hope all is well with your Carolina Beach property. My sister in law has one in Bald Head Island, and hoping for the best. We are here in Chapel Hill area, host here locally.

2 Likes

Hi Iā€™m a lurker too! Been a host for 3 Summers in Tasmania, southern island that anchors the rest of Australia, 40 deg south. As every season approaches I become apprehensive over the rule changes that happen during my off season and if it wasnā€™t for this group and a few on Facebook I wouldnā€™t be able to keep up. Thanks to all who contribute to the forum!

5 Likes

Nice to meet you, Iā€™m a born and bred Launcestonian. Will be back for a visit before the end of the year.

I donā€™t usually post (lurker), but Iā€™m surprised to see suggestion for a refundā€¦my thinking, why was the guest pulling out something she didnā€™t know what it was, anyway?! Just cautiously posting my opinionā€¦and we all have different opinions.

1 Like