Caipirinhas anyone, in November!

Here you go: Homemade Mango Wine recipe

1 Like

Limes are like that in San Miguel de Allende.

If I was Muddy, I would get an ice cream freezer and make mango sorbet. For ripe mangos, no sugar needed, just cut up mangos, blend, and freeze while mixing. The high amount of fiber means you don’t need any thickener like gelatin or agar. I usually add some cardamom and fresh grated ginger.

Giving up the KitchenAid mixer and its freezer unit is one of the worst things about downsizing.

1 Like

You forgot the rum :wink:

Yes, I used to have one of those ice cream makers when I lived in Canada. It was a great way for my kids to have a healthy dessert. They’d go out to the garden and pick fresh raspberries, or across the street by the RR tracks where there were blackberry bushes, throw them in the ice cream maker with cream or yoghurt and make their own ice cream.

I just have a fridge with a freezer compartment now- it isn’t big enough to store a lot of ice cream.

@casailinglady rum will keep it from freezing. But rum makes a great flambee sauce… :wink:

1 Like

It melts faster, but if done properly… <don’t ask me how I know this…< OK, it’s Florida and I make boozy ice pops in the summer. My friends love them, they have to be eaten or slurped quickly because they do melt fast (hic).

Haven’t been following. No idea what or who Caipirinhas is. Anything to do with Caiaphas?

It is a cocktail made with cachaça. Cachaça is a Brazilian alchohol made directly from sugarcane, and it is sometimes substituted for rum.

1 Like

My mom liked to make ice cream for grandkids and neighbor kids. So I bought her a new electric ice cream maker for her July birthday. She didn’t even open the box, because, she said “kids need to earn their ice cream by cranking that crank”, and she kept on using the old wooden bucket hand cranked one, and kids earned their ice cream the hard way.

1 Like

Mine was one where you kept the inner part in the freezer. When you wanted to make ice cream, you put that part in yhe outer casing, inserted the paddle and the lid and hand crank. So neither of the above types. And yeah, my kids has to work for their ice cream :slight_smile: But they liked doing it.

I’m proud to say that I grew up on store bought ice cream.

But I guess you never got in trouble for “writing” your name in the grass with the rock salt :rofl:

2 Likes

I forgot to add that she also insisted that we MUST use glacier ice (which is compressed snow, no air bubbles, takes much longer to melt) which required loading all children in a vehicle, along with an ice chest, hammers, and a rake, for an expedition to our drive-up glacial lake.

But the ice cream was the reward for the berry picking and ice cream cranking. She was a grandma.

I was surprised that she wasn’t picky about the salt as well. :wink:

1 Like